• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington will Open Before Sunday River This Season

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't think it's a checkmark for good skiing but when you go for a weekend nightlife is a nice thing to have.

I skied in Italy on the Sellaronda in the early 2000's - skiing was amazing - but there was literally nothing to do at night in the town we were in. No internet, no TV, a single bar that had like four people in it. Blah.

I think in that case it was our specific location but I have always had a good time hanging out in the Killington area.

skiersleft

It does take away from the credibility of his lengthy argument, no matter how long it is. For according to him, areas like Magic and Pico have no season at all, as they aren't open continuously.

Please read my post again if you have the time (It's pretty long, so you may not have the time). I never say that if you close you "have no season at all". I just said that days that you are closed should not count towards your season length (for what I take are obvious reasons...this is only controversial because it's about SR).

The funny thing is that instead of rebutting my argument, your Pico example actually proves that my argument is correct. People were pissed when K decided to close Pico two days of the week. Can you imagine management replying like this: "You are irrational people...why are you pissed when Pico is opening as early as it always has and closing as late as they always have...ergo, my irrational people, season length at Pico hasn't changed at all".

This argument doesn't pass the laugh test, obviously. People at Pico are pissed because closing two days of the week reduces the season length at Pico. Why? Because season length is measured by number of days that you are open for skiing. If K management makes the decision to close Pico Tuesday and Wednesday, they effectively shortened the Pico season.

It's so easy to see with Pico...it should also be with Killington. Let me give you one more example. IN 2005-2006, Killington opened October 29-30 and then closed until November 19. It would be incorrect to claim that the days between October 30 and Novemebr 19 counted towards their season length. Being closed those 20 days shortened their season. There's no other way of looking at it. And SR being closed midweek shortens their season. Period.

deadheadskier

Staff member
One thing I've found to be true about this annual discussion is how much more K skiers care about it than Sunday River skiers. There is no set of the eastern skiing population like (many not all) Killington skiers who are so hell bent on screaming from the mountain tops about how their season lasts the longest and if that's not enough they have to push their chests out and remind everyone how much bigger and badder the ski area is than everywhere else. K skiers are truly the alpha males of the east. See a lot of giant trucks and SUVs in the parking lot there too. :spin:

AdironRider

Longest season is longest season. Not the longest uninterupted season, or the longest including midweek season, or the longest top to bottom season (which Killington also used to whine about), or the longest season with all lifts running. If you want to brag about most number days open, then please call it what it is.

Killington also boasts most vertical, which it technically deserves. However, if you call the metric most vertical lapable off one lift, or most vertical that has no green trails, killington falls from first place.

If Killington is going to take the technical mantle of largest vertical, it also loses the technical mantle of longest season to Sunday River more often than not lately.

That doesn't take away from anyone's enthusiasm for Killington, including skiersleft. It does take away from the credibility of his lengthy argument, no matter how long it is. For according to him, areas like Magic and Pico have no season at all, as they aren't open continuously.

This post is the epitomy of stacking the deck.

AdironRider

It is humiliating.You humiliate yourself.If nightlife is one of your checkmarks for skiing then....wow...you must be killing it out there.Close to civilization?I want exactly the opposite and stay the hell away from resorts like Killigton for just that reason.You left out one thing K has in spades over SR...a-holes.

Say the guy who skis at a place on a major East Coast highway and is 15 minutes from Loon and all the condo, nightlife, etc that comes with the place.

Gilligan

One thing I've found to be true about this annual discussion is how much more K skiers care about it than Sunday River skiers. There is no set of the eastern skiing population like (many not all) Killington skiers who are so hell bent on screaming from the mountain tops about how their season lasts the longest and if that's not enough they have to push their chests out and remind everyone how much bigger and badder the ski area is than everywhere else. K skiers are truly the alpha males of the east. See a lot of giant trucks and SUVs in the parking lot there too. :spin:
That is an interesting point. Over the years I have also noticed a bit of a rivalry between Sugarloaf and Sunday River. In this rivalry, it always seemed like the Loaf skiers cared more about it than the River skiers. There must be something about Sunday River that annoys the other hills.

snowmonster

Careful.

Andy Eich is those people you say who have control of thier time and are successful. I think He speaks for himself quite well.

Whereas other people have to drive, I think AndyEich is one of those rare people who has the option to fly to SR or SL.

K skiers are truly the alpha males of the east. See a lot of giant trucks and SUVs in the parking lot there too. :spin:

I read a study recently that alpha males are actually quieter and less showy when in the pack. It stems from the fact that they are more secure in their position among the other animals in the pack and do not feel the need to assert their dominance.

That is an interesting point. Over the years I have also noticed a bit of a rivalry between Sugarloaf and Sunday River. In this rivalry, it always seemed like the Loaf skiers cared more about it than the River skiers. There must be something about Sunday River that annoys the other hills.

The SR-SL has been going on for years. It used to be worse when they were under separate ownership. The SL knock against SR has always been about the lack of height (Someday Bigger, "If you were at Sunday River, you'd be at the summit" sign) and the presence of more Bostonians and average skiers. SL is bigger, steeper, brawnier and for true Mainers and SR is supposed to be inferior. The most egregious manifestation of this "hate" is that someone stuck an SR sticker in a urinal at Bullwinkles so patrons had to pee on it. Someone told me that the recent hate-wave had something to do with SL regulars' resentment that SR was getting all the Boyne attention (Chondola) while SL facilities were neglected. Hopefully, with the opening of more terrain at SL and more improvements, that resentment has been mitigated.

As for SR regulars, I have yet to hear anyone at SR spew SL hate. The only knock SR skiers have against SL is the windholds. Other than that, I think it's all good. Is it a rivalry if only one side cares about it? Reminds me of the line in Casablanca:

Ugarte: You despise me, don't you?
Rick: If I gave you any thought, I probably would.

Vortex

Pretty interesting, and I think accurate post mostly in relation to K and the Loaf. Sr has alway been about Snow making and Grooming since the Less era. Some resentment there. Not really much sent back. Kind of laid back at the River.

If Sr did not push with early openings and make so much snow, I don't think this would come up.

JimG.

Staff member
Season length has not been shortened exclusively at Killington you know...I'm a Hunter regular and in the 90's was quite used to early (November 10 or earlier) openings and later (3rd weekend of April or later) closings. Granted, that is still short compared to K of the 90's, but it would be comparable to modern day seasons at K.

Not the case anymore...lucky to open by Thanksgiving now and if we make it to the 2nd weekend of April it's a miracle. And alot of times the last weekend is Saturday only now which I really think is dumb.

The only point I'm trying to make is that season length has suffered due to the modern day finances of running a ski hill and less because of managers sitting in a back room plotting how to get another dollar of profit by closing a day earlier. I would venture a guess that most ski areas have shorter seasons nowadays compared to the past.

jerryg

Well put Mr. Monster. I grew up skiing at SL, but migrated to SR cause that's where my wife's family skis. I still ski SL as much as I can and love it, but I'm a SR skier now. That being said, I have to chime in and say that I think it's hilarious that people from SL or Kton have so much "passion" towards SR. Why do they care what SR does? Snowmonster was right on the money... the people I ski with at SR love to ski and it doesn't matter where. None of them ever waste time talking about how SR is great and better than mountain x, y, or even the mighty z. It's those mountains' skiers and riders with the the apparent small d**k complex, which somehow gets them all bent.

The bottom line is that this argument over which mountain is bigger, better, smaller, longer, deeper, faster, you effin' name it, is not going to end. Skisleft is like 18 years late to the party on this argument. And I'm being serious - Les put in the midstation on the Locke triple about 18 years ago, for this very reason. Clearly it worked 'cause judging by your posts, not only does Kton make resorts like Whistler look tiny, but their epicness has Squaw Valley and Jackson Hole hiding behind granite bluffs.

Get over it!

Whereas other people have to drive, I think AndyEich is one of those rare people who has the option to fly to SR or SL.

I read a study recently that alpha males are actually quieter and less showy when in the pack. It stems from the fact that they are more secure in their position among the other animals in the pack and do not feel the need to assert their dominance.

The SR-SL has been going on for years. It used to be worse when they were under separate ownership. The SL knock against SR has always been about the lack of height (Someday Bigger, "If you were at Sunday River, you'd be at the summit" sign) and the presence of more Bostonians and average skiers. SL is bigger, steeper, brawnier and for true Mainers and SR is supposed to be inferior. The most egregious manifestation of this "hate" is that someone stuck an SR sticker in a urinal at Bullwinkles so patrons had to pee on it. Someone told me that the recent hate-wave had something to do with SL regulars' resentment that SR was getting all the Boyne attention (Chondola) while SL facilities were neglected. Hopefully, with the opening of more terrain at SL and more improvements, that resentment has been mitigated.

As for SR regulars, I have yet to hear anyone at SR spew SL hate. The only knock SR skiers have against SL is the windholds. Other than that, I think it's all good. Is it a rivalry if only one side cares about it? Reminds me of the line in Casablanca:

Ugarte: You despise me, don't you?
Rick: If I gave you any thought, I probably would.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sugarbush back in the 1990's used to open early as well at Mount Ellen. ASC stopped that when they reconfigured Mount Ellen. But Win and Company did have a run at opening relatively early and staying open relatively late, until recently. They do try to go one week before Thanksgiving through the first weekend of May. Yes, their season is shorter now.

ScottySkis

Season length has not been shortened exclusively at Killington you know...I'm a Hunter regular and in the 90's was quite used to early (November 10 or earlier) openings and later (3rd weekend of April or later) closings. Granted, that is still short compared to K of the 90's, but it would be comparable to modern day seasons at K.

Not the case anymore...lucky to open by Thanksgiving now and if we make it to the 2nd weekend of April it's a miracle. And alot of times the last weekend is Saturday only now which I really think is dumb.

The only point I'm trying to make is that season length has suffered due to the modern day finances of running a ski hill and less because of managers sitting in a back room plotting how to get another dollar of profit by closing a day earlier. I would venture a guess that most ski areas have shorter seasons nowadays compared to the past.

I remember in the. 90s Hunter making Belt and other trails with like 10 foot base and still be blowing in March, and they always made a great light powder snow.