• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington will Open Before Sunday River This Season

WWF-VT

Well I think that AdironRider has a point in saying that we should consider SR and SL as one...Boyne...if we are going to do that. I think that they clearly use that strategy.

You can do that as soon as they move Sugarloaf two hours closer to Boston

You can do that as soon as they move Sugarloaf two hours closer to Boston
Agree. It bothers me when people think that just because you can ski both SR and SL on one pass, that you get to add them together to count season length. I like both ski areas, but they are most definitely separate ski areas.

tt431

I started this thread to stir the flames of the debate conversation pot.

I really don't give a rats ass who opens first. But it will be Killington. I had a divine revelation two weeks ago. A flaming bush with smoke that spelled out "River will be Killed This Year". I assumed it meant that Killington would open before Sunday River. If it didn't mean that, I assume it was just incoherent gibberish.
It's all your fault.

snowmonster

You write like a Dean or Law college prof. We will have none of that. Only thing I would like to add is if there is competition we all win.

Man, I miss hanging out with you, BobR. See you at Barker in a few weeks. Competition is a good thing. I can talk competition policy but that would make me look like an egghead.

Hey man, he is the Professor of Powder you know. And he is bringing that Pow with him to Utah this Christmas! :lol:

Powder to the People, man! Let's not jinx it but I am already stoked for pow pow.

Gilligan

I could use some of that stuff Scotty's talking about.

Last edited:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I really respect your opinion, so I will assume that you were not able to drive home the point that you wished to drive home.
My bad if I didn't make my point clear. I was certainly not suggesting that K skiers don't care. I was merely suggesting that K skiers are not putting their money where their mouth is if it is a factor when it comes to buying a season pass. I was suggesting there has to be a lot more factors than that and that K is attracting season pass holders for reasons other than just first to open last to close and length of season since they have slipped so far from their past (though they seem to be trying to get on a better path than recent past). They still have a long season... but they are at beast right on par with many other resorts for opening, closing, and the number of days between those bookends.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
"Longest season" - simple too, right? Most days open in a ski season.
Actually, not so simple. K apologists ;) are suggesting that, yes, most days open in a ski season is "longest". And that might be appropriate for skiers and riders that don't work mid-week. But for most of us that aren't willing to blow a vacation day for a WROD, counting the number of days between the first day of operations and last day of operations is sufficient. To clarify, perhaps "most days open" should mean the former and "longest season" should mean the latter.

witch hobble

Shit is gonna start getting pretty weird around here if everybody starts getting into whatever Scotty is on. :spin:

AndyEich

...yes Killington has had the longest season in the East for any single mountain by most any metric for the last several years (I believe).

Ok, just checked this using the opening-date-to-closing-date, which doesn't penalize SR for it's tendency to only open on weekends at first.
For 11/12, Killington was open 7 days longer, K from 10/29 to 4/22, SR from 10/29 to 4/15.
For 10/11, Sunday River was open 4 days longer, K from 11/2 to 5/1, SR from 10/22 to 4/24.
For 09/10, Sunday River was open 18 days longer, K from 11/7 to 4/25, SR form 10/14 to 4/19.
For 08/09, Killington was open 4 days longer, K from 11/2 to 5/2, SR from 10/31 to 4/26.
For 07/08, Sunday River was open 23 days longer, K from 11/16 to 4/20, SR from 10/31 to 4/27.
For 06/07, Sunday river was open 6 days longer, K from 11/23 to 5/6, SR from 11/10 to 4/29.

Unless I got some dates wrong (you can only trust the interweb so much...), I think this shows pretty conclusively that SR wins on this version of the season length metric.

The other factor being left out is how much terrain is open. My gut feel is that Killington usually has more terrain open than SR when temps stay low (and when there is natural snow, the difference is often dramatic--Sugarbush, Stowe, etc also beat SR), but that when temps are marginal or after thaw/freeze events, SR seems to stay ahead of Killington.