• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington πŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸ˜€

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Alterra could very well be better than Powdr. They don't seem to worry too much about capex (like Vail) but also have pretty solid operations (not like Vail). That's what Killington needs, GOOD OPERATIONS. Vail could buy the place and throw $100 million at it in capex and it would be a complete shitshow given Vail's lack of operational ability across the board.

I am glad I left when Powdr really let the place go post-pandemic. I tend to be more positive with them than many. 15 years of ownership netted the new KBL, 2 new high speed lifts, a new fixed grip, and a relocated fixed grip. Throw in the early season stairs, WC, the tunnels, building a massive summer operations, and doing a decent job fixing ASC's neglect. No, they didn't make snow like ASC 2002, but they still open first and close last.

Killington/Pico is a behemoth and was built/designed to chew through massive amounts of labor and diesel. 20 lifts and 6 lodges operating everyday of the week. An antiquated snowmaking system which, even if it stayed below 32 degrees November 1-January 1, would still not have all their snowmaking terrain open. I do not envy any future operator and wish them the best. Replacing the Skyeship and the snowmaking system are going to be some of the largest capex projects in the history of the modern new England ski industry. Total replacement of the Skyeship will cost somewhere in the range of $20-$40 mil. And it runs 3 months of the year. Ouch.