• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington πŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸ˜€

jimmywilson69

Yeah he sure didn't say that Killington HASN'T sold or ISN'T for sale.

Interesting to say the least.

All I hope is that is someone who realizes what that place is and will fund some infrastructure to make it great again!

MKGA!

I mean Killington is still great, but it could use some upgrades

drjeff

thetrailboss

Staff member
Guess it's REAL now. If Stuart Winchester from the Storm Skiing Podcast publishes it, with input from the Powdr folks and buyers named, then I give it some validity

Well……

I guess the talk about POWDR selling multiple resorts was true. The last couple of years industry insiders had been saying that POWDR was a target for acquisition. And as I expected (and feared) John is downsizing to keep Snowbird.

This deal reminds me of ASC’s sale of Sugarbush to Win and crew in 2001.

Last edited:

machski

Well, I'll be. I like how the new ownership group has said they are going to let Mike S. run free with K and do everything he wants to upgrade the place. New lifts, snowmaking infrastructure all coming soon as is the village. Sounds great, looking forward to Beast Unleashed!

jimmywilson69

Well to be fair the infrastructure is already there... It must make some money but I've never seen anyone use it. That being said, since its been installed I've only skied there in December and during the week in season

thetrailboss

Staff member
And in 2014, Colorado-based Vail Resorts orchestrated what amounted to a hostile takeover of Park City Mountain Resort, which POWDR had operated for 20 years (a POWDR representative told The Storm that β€œthere is no lasting animosity” between the two companies, and that Vail Resorts was welcome to bid on the available ski areas).

"THAT'S RIGHT BITCH! WHO'S YOUR DADDY? And I look forward to more hostile takeovers of your remaining resorts!"

20141226__20141228_K6_BZ28REVUKATZp1.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
And in 2014, Colorado-based Vail Resorts orchestrated what amounted to a hostile takeover of Park City Mountain Resort, which POWDR had operated for 20 years (a POWDR representative told The Storm that β€œthere is no lasting animosity” between the two companies, and that Vail Resorts was welcome to bid on the available ski areas).

In all seriousness, John's Park City failure was (and is) a huge embarrassment to he and his Dad. The latter had to "step in" and negotiate the deal. Simultaneously, Dad bought controlling interest in Snowbird himself personally and without John or POWDR. When Dad was alive, every single press release and statement by Snowbird was explicitly clear that POWDR was not involved. In hindsight, these years were really good times at Snowbird. The only reason why John/POWDR got involved with Snowbird was when John inherited it from Ian on Ian's death. Kudos to Stuart for accurately reporting that John inherited it and that the Bass family still has a minority interest in Snowbird. Most folks don't see that subtle distinction.

That Park Record article is very interesting. I had to laugh at the photo juxtaposition between Katz and Cumming. And Katz (the real one and the meme character) would be flattered by the article's praise for his ability to make the deal happen.

And anyone looking at this should see that this is a clear sign that POWDR is struggling. One does not dump their biggest assets unless one is close to retiring or is not doing well. Bragging about getting a concession license for two National Parks, which no doubt was highly political (Cumming hosted Biden last year at his Park City home for a campaign fundraiser), is a far cry from owning the Beast of the East and a couple other bigger resorts that they are now selling. All I can say is he better not forget to renew those concession agreements when they are up for renewal......

Last edited:

jimmywilson69

Powder will still be a minority owner. As was pointed out on Kzone, that could mean as much as 49% or much less.

I 100% agree that Killington staying "independent" is a good thing! Sure they are "Ikon Affiliated" but they aren't corporately owned and that is saying something in the current ski owner/operator landscape. Even Powder wasn't exactly a large corporation.

machski

Yes, I like them becoming independent. The only question is how deep are their pockets for capital improvements?
A close friend knows one of the new principals, says his pockets are indeed very deep.

It should be noted, Powdr retains a very slight minority stake in K and will have a seat on its new board. I would also expect the Woodward Parks brand to remain in place at K as well.

urungus

A close friend knows one of the new principals, says his pockets are indeed very deep.

as per the storm skiing journal:

The new owners include longtime Killington homeowners and passholders Phill Gross and Michael Ferri. Gross learned to ski at Killington and has owned a home in the town since 1986. He is managing director of Adage Capital Management, a money-management firm that he co-founded in 2001. He has served as a board member of the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association and the World Cup Dreams Foundation, and is a founder of both Share Winter and the Killington World Cup Foundation. Ferri, a partner and owner of East Coast Valvoline Instant Oil Change franchises, has served as a Killington Mountain School trustee since 2008. His family has owned a home in Killington since the 1970s.

BodeMiller1

So, do I own part of Killington / Pico or did you guys leave me hanging.:unsure:

So, you're telling me there's a chance. 🀞(y)

Please let me know what part mine is so I can start my ski offs in the area.