• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington πŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸ˜€

Smellytele

They have opened before where there was no snow on the head wall and you had to walk down guided by a rope. also had to walk the last 200 yards to get to the lift.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
They have opened before where there was no snow on the head wall and you had to walk down guided by a rope. also had to walk the last 200 yards to get to the lift.

Yes but if there's multiple large breaks they'll almost always call it.

Funny you mention the lift. That's certainly going to be ski on if they make it next weekend! The bottom where the netting is is still 10 feet deep!

chuckstah

Looks done to me from cam shot ( From kzone) Maybe one final old school day with lots of walking/grass and dirt skiing. Too bad. Wanted one more lift served.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210517-212041.png
    Screenshot_20210517-212041.png
    825.5 KB · Views: 32

jimmywilson69

oof...

that went quickly

This is the first time since I've been paying any attention that there was no "S" on Preston's Pitch seemed to go from covered to a complete breach at that water bar

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
oof...

that went quickly

This is the first time since I've been paying any attention that there was no "S" on Preston's Pitch seemed to go from covered to a complete breach at that water bar

They did a good amount of earth work and re-grading so that the S wouldn't form. IIRC that was done in the 2019 off season so this would be the first year we can see how it plays out.

They just didn't blow as much this year and what they did blow was VERY inconsistent in depth which is unusual for them. I could've told you in March that mid-Supe just above the last drop was gonna be an issue.

skiur

I was kinda annoyed on Sunday when they didn't push down the remaining snow above the headwall to make it skiable. There really wasn't much of a chance of reopening and now that snow will just melt away.

Zand

The other thing that I didn't think of until now is that there was no race this year. That snow was basically an impenetrable base (although the skiing was definitely better this year as far as softness goes). That's one reason it's disappearing quicker than expected.

Smellytele

The other thing that I didn't think of until now is that there was no race this year. That snow was basically an impenetrable base (although the skiing was definitely better this year as far as softness goes). That's one reason it's disappearing quicker than expected.
Noticed at other ski areas that the race trails always keep snow the longest as they make snow a little wetter and it gets hard.

urungus

Found these interesting comments on early/late season profitability from Killington founder Preston Smith (for whom the Prestons Pitch section of Superstar is named)

extending the season, I think Killington lent itself to the long season to begin with. A very well defined bowl (Killington basin) facing northeast, the highest elevation skiing in Vermont, it really was obvious that extending the season would be worthwhile. Q: Was that done for marketing purposes because the number of skiers drop toward the end of the season? Smith: No. Because if you extend the season on both ends you have many more days of income. We had mostly year-round employees to begin with. Every dollar that came in the extended shoulders of the season was a plus on the bottom line.

Killingtime

Found these interesting comments on early/late season profitability from Killington founder Preston Smith (for whom the Prestons Pitch section of Superstar is named)

extending the season, I think Killington lent itself to the long season to begin with. A very well defined bowl (Killington basin) facing northeast, the highest elevation skiing in Vermont, it really was obvious that extending the season would be worthwhile. Q: Was that done for marketing purposes because the number of skiers drop toward the end of the season? Smith: No. Because if you extend the season on both ends you have many more days of income. We had mostly year-round employees to begin with. Every dollar that came in the extended shoulders of the season was a plus on the bottom line.
Some "experts" early on also told him Superstar was too steep to hold snow and he was wasting his time cutting a trail there. See how that worked out.

tumbler

Good read. I never knew that he owned Camel's Hump and donated it to the state. This line sums up the ski industry for me:

"You have to do that because some people think the ski business is highly profitable but we were lucky to make 2 cents on the dollar so there was not a lot of room for mistakes"

ScottySkis

K might make it this weekend
"The "goods" are going fast! Our Superstar snow harvest is melting, and the forecast doesn't look favorable for skiing and riding. BUT, that being said, we want to spin the lift one more time this season if we can! 🀞 https://bit.ly/2K2h871

So, the tentative plan is to operate this Saturday, May 22, only (no Friday or Sunday operations) for the final day of the 2020/21 winter season at Killington. On Thursday, we'll reassess conditions and make the call for Saturday operations. If you subscribe to The Drift, you'll get the update delivered right to your email, otherwise, check back here Thursday late afternoon.","

Zand

Looks like Friday and Saturday will bring some humidity as well which will further quicken the melting, especially at night.

Now I'm on the pessimistic crew, but Killington is known for making magic happen so I would never rule it out.