• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington 🎿🏂🏂🎿🎿🏂🏂🎿😀

SkiingInABlueDream

I totally get why gravel is becoming so popular. Id be nervous riding on many roads these days. I don't begrudge gravel riding or those kinds of trails. The only thing I really object to is the removal of challenging features in traditionally technical trails, to make them rideable for non-mtn bikes.

Last edited:

Hawk

If I look at those pictures of skiing at Killngton above, that is exatly what I am taking about. Skiing patch to patch with yards of grass skiing in between strewn with rocks, I do not miss. That is fun for about 1 ot 2 runs and then it's time to drink beer.

KustyTheKlown

If I look at those pictures of skiing at Killngton above, that is exatly what I am taking about. Skiing patch to patch with yards of grass skiing in between strewn with rocks, I do not miss. That is fun for about 1 ot 2 runs and then it's time to drink beer.

once any connectivity is lost, particularly for the chair load and unload, I am done caring

Hawk

The gravel riding that I have done is on gravel roads with very large climbs. VT, NH and Western Mass. There is no way to ride gravel bikes on any of the MTB trails where I live. You would flat in the first 10 yards. I can understand out west there are long smooth uphill trails that you could get away with a gravel bike.

Also the flow trials I have done are no fun unless you have suspension. KT, Killington, Highland and parts of Sugarbush. I would hardly call that riding easy and how else would you deal with the jumps without suspension. I think the definition of flow trail here is being interperted two different ways.

Keelhauled

I don't know what you mean by the word "skiing," this is clearly a thread for bickering about bicycles.

drjeff

once any connectivity is lost, particularly for the chair load and unload, I am done caring
Agree 100% with both of these. There comes a point where the novelty of stretching the season wears off on me, and my mind then shifts into my warm weather activities and my skiing desires take a few months off

abc

@abc OMG even when the point is spoon fed to you you manage to either miss or sidestep it.
You were “spoon feeding” a personal preference “point” to others. I was polite enough to sidestep it without calling you out on it. But since you’re so self-righteous on your “point”, I will now call it out!

You‘re obviously not going to ski Superstar when there’s even the slightest gap, because it’s not “flow”, which is beneath you to ski. And anyone who actually enjoy such skiing is not understanding what “flow“ is and therefore “wrong”.

You’re no better than the moron who build a ramp on a jump landing because he view the requisite jump as “breaking the flow”.

snoseek

Which part of OBSTACLE did you not get!

Better yet, show me a smooth trail in Moab, with obstacles. ;)

Then tell me about “flow”.
A good part of Klondike bluffs or dead horse point are all flow.

abc

A good part of Klondike bluffs or dead horse point are all flow.
Yep, I rode them in my hard tail. (Those are the easiest trails in Moab)

Actually, Klondike has flow. Dead Horse not so much. It’s just an easy, wide, flat mostly beginner trail set. Excellent view though.

Last edited:

SkiingInABlueDream

You were “spoon feeding” a personal preference “point” to others. I was polite enough to sidestep it without calling you out on it. But since you’re so self-righteous on your “point”, I will now call it out!

You‘re obviously not going to ski Superstar when there’s even the slightest gap, because it’s not “flow”, which is beneath you to ski. And anyone who actually enjoy such skiing is not understanding what “flow“ is and therefore “wrong”.

You’re no better than the moron who build a ramp on a jump landing because he view the requisite jump as “breaking the flow”.
🤔 You went off the rails impressively there👏

RH29

1688939308075.png
This is not good. Going to be lots of damage and this will be much longer lasting than the previous storms that caused the floods and landslides.

drjeff

Umm aren't mudslides for places without trees? Wall of mud? This summer, not good.
Enough moisture in the ground + enough pitch to the hillside, and often a bit of "push" from some wind, and the mass of the tree that the root system is trying to keep in place in the unstable soil, especially in a mountain situation where often there isn't that much soil covering up the rock underneath, and yup, you certainly can get slides in tree covered steeper hillside areas