• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington ๐ŸŽฟ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ‚๐ŸŽฟ๐ŸŽฟ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ‚๐ŸŽฟ๐Ÿ˜€

mister moose

Looks like they made it through today break free, which is impressive considering what it looks like Wednesday. They do a fine job making something out of nothing, that's for sure.

Looks are deceiving. And I guess 'break free' is technically correct, but by late afternoon the first 3-4 turns were rocky troughs. I was turning on top of the mogul, and aiming for the least rocky section of the trough to cross, then back up onto the next mogul, turn, repeat. Made it 3 turns rock free and then felt the tug and heard the click click. Fine coverage the rest of the way down.

jaytrem

Looks great, thanks for posting. Probably head to Mount Snow area tomorrow, but doubt I'll make the trek to Killington. Very temping though. Consolation prize will be indoor bumps again next weekend.

drjeff

Looks great, thanks for posting. Probably head to Mount Snow area tomorrow, but doubt I'll make the trek to Killington. Very temping though. Consolation prize will be indoor bumps again next weekend.
Per my youngest, whom with his girlfriend were up at our condo this past Wednesday/Thursday, if you and your twins fish, the bite at the North end boat launch area/Beach on Lake Raponda, was very solid on both a fly rod and spinning reel!

drjeff

Great for K what their entire mtn ops crew (from day #1 snowmakers 7+ months ago through to the groomer operators yesterday) have been able to do!

Just example #17893 of why in the end, you don't bet against Killington Mtn ops!

Crazy to think of what they could do with a very modern system vs their current on most trails "might vs efficiency" situation!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
In looking at the Webcam this morning it almost looks like they'd be better off building the glacier skiers right side of the trail above Preston's vs skiers left. Not sure how feasible that is with typical wind direction , but the skiers right side of the trail definitely stays in the shade longer. If it's not really feasible, maybe at least blow a stockpile over there for patching the flat middle that melts out first?

I'm sure overall they're happy with their strategy if it makes it to Memorial Day like it has been most years.

Newpylong

Wind is favorable to that idea but the snow guns are on skier's left so the towers won't reach and that's a lot of hose to get the ground guns over there. They wouldn't be able to run while the trail is open if they did the latter. One solution is to move to fans there to get the extra throw however that would be some insane density (read $$) to get the same amount of coverage as they can get with the air water equipment. Having an automated system for November would be ideal though to take advantage of windows quicker.

Zand

We've made it to 2:30 Saturday with nothing glaringly obvious on the webcam. Obviously there's plenty of thin spots that you can't really see from a distance, but I figured we'd be looking at some gnarly bare patches by this afternoon. Even the headwall still looks white.

Maybe Monday will be worth it after all.

Zand

Someone on KZone is saying they put some kind of freezing agent in the snow on the headwall? Never heard of that but sounds like it's working.

Newpylong

Looks like I may need to bump my odds up for Monday from 50/50 to 100%.

I am still holding at 0% for 6/1 though, hope I am wrong there.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Looks like I may need to bump my odds up for Monday from 50/50 to 100%.

I am still holding at 0% for 6/1 though, hope I am wrong there.
Looks like my forecast was pretty accurate. I maintain that Killingtonโ€™s commitment to June 1 will win out. I donโ€™t know how much will be walking, but Iโ€™m still at 50-50 for June 1.