• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington ๐ŸŽฟ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ‚๐ŸŽฟ๐ŸŽฟ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ‚๐ŸŽฟ๐Ÿ˜€

thetrailboss

Staff member
I would've guessed 20 something years old. But either way my memory of "whoa, new bridge over rt4 " is distant memory now. But seems like something that should've been there even well before that given the speed some people drive on 4
Wasnโ€™t it built with the new gondola in โ€˜94/โ€˜95?

drjeff

As much as I get why there is a need for more parking down at Skyeship base, I highly doubt it would ever happen in the form of a parking garage, as you'd be spending millions for a structure that might be needed for maybe 10 or 15 days of the season??

It's similar to why most base lodges aren't as big as they need to be for the 10 to 15 busiest days of the season as the extra space needed for those days just sits un/under utilized the vast majority of the days every year, and that added capital expenditure to build out for those handful of really busy days a year, most often the resort owners would rather spend on other "flashier" items such as snowmaking or lifts.

And it's not like a parking garage at Skyeship could be integrated into more regular day to day use as say I am guessing the parking structures for the Killington Village that will be incorporated into the design, will be utilized

drjeff

Wasnโ€™t it built with the new gondola in โ€˜94/โ€˜95?
That timeframe seems reasonable if memory serves. Also when they put the "new" Skyeship in, I still believe that Northeast Passage as a base area, with parking, was still in play, creating added parking options along Route 4 and even Route 100 when coming from the East or South

BodeMiller1

"When the first phase is completed, there will be 650 ski-in/ski-out condos, homesites at Ramshead, 110,000+ square feet of retail and dining space, two public squares, a new 85,0000+ square foot ski lodge that will replace Snowshed and Ramshead, and improvements to the Snowshed Pond."

Nice to see the plan. I was hooked at "first Phase". Two public squares?

New construction, STOWE eat your heart out. When Stowe village was new it was amazing. I've always liked K more than Stowe.

Newpylong

Correct, Skyeship bridge installed in '94 and had no effect on the wetland setbacks which a parking garage would, as it would need to be on the east side of the highway.

Also yes Northeast Passage had another 5 years or so at that point.

I guess we'll see what effect the village would have. I know I won't touch the access road with a 10 foot pole, but I don't anyway. I start at Skyeship (and if not open Bear). Based on how busy Skyeship has gotten (full lots and parking up and down Route 4) on some weekends I think it's been "discovered" and others agree at this point.

Last edited:

Zand

Am I missing something, or will the K-1 lots be mainly untouched? My preferred spot if I'm parking in the basin is somewhere at the end of those lots by the Six. I prefer to stay the hell away from Rams or Snowshed, so if I can still park up in the K-1 lots after the village goes in then honestly I wouldn't even mind it being there.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Correct, Skyeship bridge installed in '94 and had no effect on the wetland setbacks which a parking garage would, as it would need to be on the east side of the highway.

I guess we'll see what effect the village would have. I know I won't touch the access road with a 10 foot pole, but I don't anyway. I start at Skyeship (and if not open Bear). Based on how busy Skyeship has gotten (full lots and parking up and down Route 4) on some weekends I think it's been "discovered" and others agree at this point.
OK. So that bridge was part of the original construction of the Gondola. I was not sure if it was an add-on years later. It seemed to be about the same vintage.

Newpylong

Am I missing something, or will the K-1 lots be mainly untouched? My preferred spot if I'm parking in the basin is somewhere at the end of those lots by the Six. I prefer to stay the hell away from Rams or Snowshed, so if I can still park up in the K-1 lots after the village goes in then honestly I wouldn't even mind it being there.

They shouldn't be touched but put two and two together who is going to park there vs shuttle to the new village lot. Plenty of people.

Zand

They shouldn't be touched but put two and two together who is going to park there vs shuttle to the new village lot. Plenty of people.
I agree, but I primarily avoid Killington on Saturdays so hopefully weekdays would still have some spots up there.

The Vale lots are also very convenient but that involves having to start at Rams or Snowshed. Guessing those will be altered or gone when the village goes in.

Smellytele

I never ski K when skyship is open. Or bear for that matter.