• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

King of Spring

VTKilarney

I wonder if BW is done making snow?
They have their Patriots Day special for 4/18

I was wondering that myself. I usually purchase a ticket for Patriot's Day more for the return voucher than a desire to ski BW on Patriot's Day. I'd hate to miss that opportunity this year.

xwhaler

It's a very nice deal...I already purchased mine on Liftopia b/c we will be in the area that wknd anyways.
Worse case if they don't open it just gets returned to my Liftopia acct as credit for future use

VTKilarney

It's a very nice deal...I already purchased mine on Liftopia b/c we will be in the area that wknd anyways.
Worse case if they don't open it just gets returned to my Liftopia acct as credit for future use

You can get the actual deal on Liftopia and not just through their website? I didn't know that.

xwhaler

You can get the actual deal on Liftopia and not just through their website? I didn't know that.

Yes...I applied a $10 code that was use or lose within a couple of days of getting the code.
So $7.76 for possibly 2 days of skiing

VTKilarney

Yes...I applied a $10 code that was use or lose within a couple of days of getting the code.
So $7.76 for possibly 2 days of skiing

You timed it well. Liftopia is now showing $45 for Patriot's Day.

snoseek

You timed it well. Liftopia is now showing $45 for Patriot's Day.
I would say kirkwood but we will close before may 1st likely with a 100+ inch base. I guess if the mountain is officially closed we can finally ski the cirque.

How is colorado doing in terms of base? Abasin going late!

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

snoseek

Yeah i quoted the wrong person....no idea how to fix that.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

Breeze

They made snow on the middle section a few years ago and fairly deep. Had a mid April day up there with several AZ members which was great. First time I got to try Mishka's skis.

The reason I suggested Bobcat is the shorter length and it does have the same pitch if not even a bit steeper than Middle Superstar. In the spring it could be a fine lower angle bump trail. Cheap lift to run as well. Only thing that sucks about it is it's a bit of a walk to get there from the lodge. My thoughts behind Bobcat are pure economics. Running a 2100 vertical chair and covering that length of trail just seems like a lot to ask for a late spring trail.

I remember it as 2006. GM had gone west for February vacation week and Alexa, Dir of Mtn Ops fired up the guns and DUMPED snow for 3 days under the Quad. PHD on Gondi, Lift Lion, Feline, Hairball, GM returned and was appalled, aghast and apoplectic that so much money was spent, but Wildcat was open T2B until May 13th that year. 3 times he announced a closing date, then swallowed his pride and asked staff for one more week, then another week, then another weekend. Alexa was gone to Bretton Woods the following season.

It wasn't cost effective at the time ( and probably would not be now) but it did lengthen the season by 3 weeks T2B.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They made snow on Hairball and Feline? I never noticed pipe on those trails.

May 13th would be amazing.

bdfreetuna

so length matters?

Season length absolutely matters! Especially on my kind of schedule where I can't really take big blocks of time off when the snow might happen to be best. Longer season = more skiing plain and simple.

I'm not hating on this season either. Wish I got out more but it's been fun (and its not over yet), and it's nice to know next year will almost surely be better.

Also Killington should easily win this, although I don't really follow what goes on at SR.

Jully

SR is certainly trying, but I think Killington will win again. SR has blasted the Barker area on multiple occasions this winter though. I remember multiple rounds of snowmaking on Right Stuff throughout January. Haven't been up recently to see how the snow depths are though.

Also I think if they can make it, Sunday River won't go past their May 1st May Day celebration like last year. I think they closed after May 1 and SL closed literally 1 or 2 days later on May 2 or 3.

Newpylong

They made snow on Hairball and Feline? I never noticed pipe on those trails.

May 13th would be amazing.

Perhaps he meant Black and Alley cat? There are no pipes on Feline and Hairball and given where and what they are I would fire someone if they made snow there too lol.

skicub

Even a Sunday River naysayer can't argue with the fact that they are truly the King of Spring 2016! The Loaf has done a great job too. Sure, they both benefit from being further north, and have had a few lucky weather breaks, but their snowmaking strategy is paying off. With several cool nights ahead, and snow in the forecast as far ahead they are going to make a lot of the mountain able to stick around till spring, amidst this more favorable weather pattern.

I don't want to Kbash, but when they decided to pre-empt SR by opening the day before SR had planned to (albeit off a mere 600ft at the top, while the river had top to bottom on first day), simply to be the first to open in East, I was a bit pissed. Later when they had to close midweek because they couldn't keep up with the traffic, I chortled a bit.

That being said, everyone deserves a bit of encouragement in this dismal season. Good luck to k, SR, SL, SB, Jay, and all who will be gunnin for May!

the cubbiest skier you've ever met

Last edited:

Smellytele

Even a Sunday River naysayer can't argue with the fact that they are truly the King of Spring 2016! The Loaf has done a great job too. Sure, they both benefit from being further north, and have had a few lucky weather breaks, but their snowmaking strategy is paying off. With several cool nights ahead, and snow in the forecast as far ahead as April 5, they are going to make a lot of the mountain able to stick around till mid spring, amidst this more favorable weather pattern.

Sunday river at 2600'...

Thursday
Snow and sleet likely before 11am, then freezing rain and sleet likely. Cloudy, with a high near 28. Southeast wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Thursday Night
Freezing rain. Low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Friday
Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 38. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

With more rain for Monday...
Sunday Night
A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Monday
A 50 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't want to Kbash, but when they decided to pre-empt SR by opening the day before SR had planned to (albeit off a mere 600ft at the top, while the river had top to bottom on first day), simply to be the first to open in East, I was a bit pissed.

This marketing gamesmanship works both ways. Sunday River has done this in the past with "stealth" opens to claim first to open title in the East. More than once for sure.

No reason to be "pissed." It's really all in good fun between the two areas' management teams. It's the respective skiers that get emotional about it. No matter who "wins", the competition between the two companies push both to open early as possible in the fall and go as late as they can in the spring. All skiers win.