• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kite Skiing

dlague

During ski season we have seen people kite skiing on Lake Dillon and I find it rather intriguing. Has anyone ever tried it? Some what different from speed skiing off a mountain. I think it would be fun but ....

Jully

Very interesting. If I lived somewhere without real mountains I would certainly consider it! Doesn't seem like you get going fast enough to do a whole lot though.

VTKilarney

I see two issues:
1) The snow on the lake has to be compacted, or at least not very deep.
2) The wind has to be strong and steady.

It seems like those conditions wouldn't come about too often. Ocean breezes are much more reliable. Gusts don't work well for kites, which is usually what you see in ski country.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I see two issues:
1) The snow on the lake has to be compacted, or at least not very deep.
2) The wind has to be strong and steady.

It seems like those conditions wouldn't come about too often. Ocean breezes are much more reliable. Gusts don't work well for kites, which is usually what you see in ski country.

Sounds like East coast would have better conditions for going faster but pick your days to be safe! http://www.bridgton.com/harrison-man-dies-in-kite-ski-accident/

dlague

As I mentioned we saw this a lot on Lake Dillon. About 5 years my older sons wanted to get a set up and go on Winnipesaukee on NH. The are videos where people are doing this in non compacted snow using snowboards.

dlague

darent

I have a DN iceboat and a couple of years ago we saw a guy who put skates on his long snowboard and used a windsurfing sail for power, he flew. I couldn't catch him in my boat doing 45 to 50mph

slickrick

This is crazy! I'm done for some kite skiing, just need to check my insurance policies.