• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lifts that are never open

canobie#1

What chairlift do you never see open at a ski resort?

Outpost double never is open when I go to Pico.

xlr8r

I've been on the Outpost a few times. There needs to be lots of natural snow for it to run.

I have never seen both Snowshed doubles at Killington running at the same time

I haven't seen the Duckling double at Sunapee run in over a decade

I also never seem to see the Oz quad at Sunday River run when I'm there. I know they use it sometimes, I just have bad timing.

Newpylong

Outpost at Pico is open many weekends a year.

I will second both Snowshed doubles. I haven't paid enough attn if it's one or the other that runs or if they swap back and forth (I think they do).

Q1 doesn't seem to be open often at Jiminy with the 6 pack, perhaps others have seen it more often than me.

canobie#1

I have seen the doubles open together twice but not open for the full day. I've gotten the chance to ride both in one day.

Hawkshot99

Q1 doesn't seem to be open often at Jiminy with the 6 pack, perhaps others have seen it more often than me.

Operates weekends and holidays from 830 till around 3. During the week there is jo need for it as you can lap down to the 6 faster than Q1. The tripple almost never runs though.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

MadMadWorld

I know it's open during vacations and when the HSQ is on wind hold but I am never there when Tomcat is open at Wildcat.

4aprice

The Long Haul Triple at Montage aka Sno aka Montage. I know people who swear by that place but I have never enjoyed it and having to take 2 lifts to get to the top of a Pocono ski area is ridiculous.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

podunk77

Apparently the trick to getting lifts running is to mention them in a thread like this, because I just checked some trail/lift reports and apparently the South American and Solstice lifts at Stratton are running, along with the Duckling Double at Sunapee. Probably just due to it being Christmas break. I'll know hell has frozen over, though, when I see Outpost and Knomes Knoll at Pico open.

xwhaler

The one time I went to Pico they had outpost running on a 8" Sunday powder day...i really liked that pod......would be a tad disappointed if I went back and it wasn't going

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

SKI-3PO

The Long Haul Triple at Montage aka Sno aka Montage. I know people who swear by that place but I have never enjoyed it and having to take 2 lifts to get to the top of a Pocono ski area is ridiculous.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Agreed, but I've read that the new owners are running it now. The trails at the top aren't really worth the trouble though.

thetrailboss

Staff member
What chairlift do you never see open at a ski resort?

Outpost double never is open when I go to Pico.

Bummer. Outpost is a great area.

Other (east) coast lifts that I recall "never" operating:

1. The (now former) Devil's Fiddle Lift at Killington (I rode it once in 2000 or 2001);
2. The South Ridge Triple (RIP);
3. The GMVS Poma at Sugarbush (ran a lot more in the 2008-2011 timeframe from what I saw);
4. Valley House Double;
5. Oz Quad at SR.