• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lifts that are never open

dlague

Burke - Willoughby Quad

It is one the trail map but since they put the new one in it is never used even on peak days. They should just sell it!

Smellytele

Second both and add West Double - East Runs all the time. Seems redundant to have two doubles start and end at the same place, minus the midstation drop off

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

The doubles and the gondi used to be the only way up from the lodge with the t-bar. They were needed to get people out of there.

Jully

every year i fly by that oz quad. now i don't even think about it being open, its just there. also the connector chair from oz is rarely open

The Jordan Mountain Double runs pretty regularly on weekends when the mountain is 100%. It's a faster way to get to Jordan if there's a line at Aurora.

I second the Top Notch Double at Attitash though. Runs maybe 4 days a year max.

Smellytele

Burke - Willoughby Quad

It is one the trail map but since they put the new one in it is never used even on peak days. They should just sell it!

They did use it the first year the detachable was there because they had some issue with the detach but even now they don't when there is an issue

Jully

I would have said the World Cup Triple at Waterville too, but obviously that's changing this year.

East Basin Double at Loon too. Could be wrong on that one though as I've done maybe 3 days at Loon over the last decade, but used to go there more when I was younger.

Jully

They did use it the first year the detachable was there because they had some issue with the detach but even now they don't when there is an issue

That seems dumb. Do they not bother to inspect it anymore? I thought I heard it was removed from the trail map.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The last 2 years I was there it was running

Maybe things have changed under Mike? I recall my last few visits having to skate up from the US quad to access the Outpost pod and I believe it was on Sundays. It has been 3-4 years though

steamboat1

Knomes Knoll Triple at Pico.
I thought the same thing. I even heard rumors they were going to remove it a few years ago. That was until I saw it running regularly again year before last. I drive by Pico going to & from K quite a bit so I can see it. Last season it didn't run much if at all but that was because they never made snow over there & we all know how good the natural snow skiing was last year. The run directly under that lift is one of my favorite powder stashes at Pico because no one ever skis it. After the rest of the mountain gets tracked out on a powder day that trail often still has the goods. It seems the beginner/intermediates that ski that lift never venture down it. Shhhh don't tell anyone.

Last edited:

Mapnut

Re Sundance at Mount Snow:
I've been there about 6 times, all on weekends, and they cranked it up just once, for 2 hours, then shut it down again. A pity, because it serves the best runs on the east face, without the crowded approach from the summit or the traverse runout back to the summit chairs.

canobie#1

I rode the outpost chair on a Tuesday two seasons ago, granted that was during kids febuary break. But most of the time I go there it's open.

We'd always hope for the best once we skied around that corner to the south ridge triple, hoping it would be open. That lift was a hit or miss.
Canyon quad and Snowdon triple used to never be open but they've been using them a lot more these past few years.

As for other lifts, OZ, the solstice quad at Stratton and the top notch double at Attitash all come to mind.

Newpylong

In the past few years (which were busy weekends) all 3 were spinning when I was there.

Kidderbrook never ran after Shooting Star went in, but moot point now.

Jully

In the past few years (which were busy weekends) all 3 were spinning when I was there.

Kidderbrook never ran after Shooting Star went in, but moot point now.

Oddly enough Kidderbrook is the one that I wish was still around and ran. The runout from those trails down to the Sunshine base is dreadful. Totally get why it was removed though as it never ran and really only serviced a few trails exclusively.

steamboat1

Canyon quad and Snowdon triple used to never be open but they've been using them a lot more these past few years.
The Canyon quad runs on Monday, Wednesday & Friday during the week at least that's been the schedule for a few years now. I wish they'd run it everyday as I really don't like riding the box. Only time I really need the box is to get to the Peak Lodge or for the occasional run down (upper) Catwalk, Downdraft, Cascade, Escapade or Helter Skelter. All the other trails are accessible by using either the Canyon or North Ridge chairs.
Yes the Snowdon triple runs more often since they added the mid station for racers last season. Mostly only when they have races or race training on Highline though which is not everyday. The Snowdon quad is still the work horse.
Needles & Bear Mountain chairs usually only run on Fridays during non holiday weeks.

steamboat1

Oddly enough Kidderbrook is the one that I wish was still around and ran. The runout from those trails down to the Sunshine base is dreadful. Totally get why it was removed though as it never ran and really only serviced a few trails exclusively.
Agree. They totally screwed up the location of the Shooting Star lift. It should have started much further down in the Ravine. Even if you miss the exit for SS on some of the trails on that side of the main mountain you're screwed & have to go all the way to the bottom of the Sun Bowl. The exit is a sharp left & is easily missed. If the chair started further down it would better serve not only the trails off the main mountain but also the trails that Kidderbrook used to service.

Even the location of the Ursa chair is screwed up with everyone having to take that narrow traverse coming from trails on that side of the mountain or the Amex chair. The old liftline would have been much better with only having the base starting a little further down.

Last edited: