• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lifts that are never open

Jully

I guess I've been unlucky to see it running. Its honestly almost as easy to take the shuttle or drive to between them.

I personally find the shuttle more of a hassle because you have to go all the way down to the Lincoln base and then back up the GMX at Ellen. The ride versus drive time is the same, but the whole ordeal takes about 30 minutes versus the lift!

Whitey

Ran every weekend prior to past few years, now most days.

Not sure if I agree with the "now most days" comment. I think they mostly just run it on weekends and holidays. I was at SB for a couple of mid-week days last winter and it was never running.

But then again, that may have had to do with last winter being an awful one for skiing and the mid-week days I was there the place was a ghost town and the snow conditions were awful. Given the # of skiers who were there those days, it really wouldn't have made any sense to run it.

Maybe I should start a "last winter was so bad" thread and post "that they never ran the sliderbrook chair mid week" . . .

deadheadskier

Staff member
Was there enough snow under the lift the days you were there? That may have been the cause for closure. As steamboat pointed out, they won't run it if there's not enough snow underneath it to carry out rescues if it breaks down.

Whitey

Was there enough snow under the lift the days you were there? That may have been the cause for closure. As steamboat pointed out, they won't run it if there's not enough snow underneath it to carry out rescues if it breaks down.

Probably not. There wasn't enough decent snow on the trails, so unlikely there was any under the sliderbrook chair. Last winter sucked

cdskier

Exactly...last year there was often not enough snow under there. The official schedule now the past 2-3 years at Sugarbush is that the Slidebrook chair will run every day as long as temps are above 5? degrees and as long as there is sufficient snowpack on the service roads into the slide brook area and under the chair to get equipment in there in case of a lift issue/evac.

Jully

Ahhhh....Have to disagree with that one.

Timberline at sugarloaf

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This really depends on the definition of 'never open.' If a few days a week defines never open, then yes, timberline can fall into this category especially in January and February.

While it is highly weather dependent, Timberline is certainly open more than it is not especially in the gentler months. When you think about lifts like the Top Notch Double at Attitash or the World Cup Triple at WV before it was moved which ran max 4 days a season, then Timberline certainly does not fall anywhere near that category.

Smellytele

This really depends on the definition of 'never open.' If a few days a week defines never open, then yes, timberline can fall into this category especially in January and February.

While it is highly weather dependent, Timberline is certainly open more than it is not especially in the gentler months. When you think about lifts like the Top Notch Double at Attitash or the World Cup Triple at WV before it was moved which ran max 4 days a season, then Timberline certainly does not fall anywhere near that category.

Timberline has been open 3 out of the last 4 times I was there - all in March. they day it wasn't saved the powder for the next day...

Jully

Timberline has been open 3 out of the last 4 times I was there - all in March. they day it wasn't saved the powder for the next day...

Exactly. Its open most days in March, really starting in late February until close its open 75-90% of the time.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I don't think the summit triple chair at Jiminy Peak has ran for a couple seasons now. Last year reasons were pretty obvious why not but the year before it was a great winter and I don't remember seeing it spin on the couple days I was there. It's very redundant with the six-pack but it's worth it if you don't want to hike out of that little basin by the hotel. I know it used to run most Saturdays peak season. Heard it's supposed to get replaced with a hsq but that's an old rumor.

Jully

I don't think the summit triple chair at Jiminy Peak has ran for a couple seasons now. Last year reasons were pretty obvious why not but the year before it was a great winter and I don't remember seeing it spin on the couple days I was there. It's very redundant with the six-pack but it's worth it if you don't want to hike out of that little basin by the hotel. I know it used to run most Saturdays peak season. Heard it's supposed to get replaced with a hsq but that's an old rumor.

An HSQ and a HS6? That would be quite something though I suppose that is what Mt Snow has as well.

skiMEbike

Exactly. Its open most days in March, really starting in late February until close its open 75-90% of the time.

Or to look at it another way...Timberline is open when you have the following: Snow on the summit and the unload area (typical years January thru mid to late April) with sustained winds speeds less than 35-38 mph.

steamboat1

Not an expert on Sugarloaf. In fact I've only skied there once after they took out the Gondi & put Timberline in. Skied there many times before. Last time I skied there was the last year of ASC. About 6-7 years ago I think. Last time there was in the beginning of April. They received over 2ft. of snow the first day I was there. Out of the four days I skied Timberline was open one day. Wasn't because of windholds either, wind didn't even blow when it snowed. That's my limited experience with Timberline.

JimG.

Staff member

I rode it a weekday 3 seasons ago after a decent snowfall.

It is painfully slow in addition to being redundant.

drjeff

I rode it a weekday 3 seasons ago after a decent snowfall.

It is painfully slow in addition to being redundant.

The summit triple at Jiminy was painfully slow even when it was first installed roughly 30yrs ago now!!!

The scary thing is that that triple at the time of installation was a noted speed improvement over the old center pole Mueller double with wrap around the side safety bars!! You practically needed a calendar to measure the ride time on that one!!

Newpylong

In grade school we used to go to Jiminy Mid-Week and I hated how they always ran the Triple and not the Exhibition chair. The Ex chair really moved. Triple is brutal.

skixc2

Couple others I just thought of:
Whitney's Inn/Moody's Run J-Bar at Black (NH)
The Village Double at Ragged -- Is that thing even still functional?