• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon Experience

dlague

Loon and Waterville...both just total meh IMO.

Loon is classic eastern mass 3x a year gaper, perhaps coming there on a radio station -sponsored bus trip. Yah dood it was fahkin pissa.

Shame BC Lincoln is kinda cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never been to Loon and do not have much interest to go - but Waterville is meh!

The Sneak

I will say though I've had good times at Loon. That South peak chair is usually great for crowd avoidance. But this is a forum that is full of posters vocal in their preference for ungroomed / tree skiing. So it's not unreasonable to expect some snark ..its not a personal attack on those here who do regularly ski a place like Loon and enjoy it. I'm sure midweek is great there and you can certainly rack up the vert.

It's like a GIANT WACHUSETT.

machski

The only entertaining things at Loon are the woods, and the days they are good tend to be few and far between. With that said, there are local lines in bounds and good side country (Walking Boss woods use to be part of the side country, now brought inbounds). Still, I have been very disappointed Ripsaw, Jobber and Twitcher are all groomed all the time. What the hell?? Especially Ripsaw, the only marked Double Diamond at the place. Suppose I should not be surprised, especially on South, with all the private snowmaking trails off the bottom of Boom Run and the private double chair up from the riverbed and all. It is more like Mascara mountain now than anywhere else in the East in ways.

Smellytele

I skied Loon this year once and hadn't skied it in 10 or so years. I had never had a good experience there before. Too crowded, too groomed. This time was different. they had gotten 6 or 7 inches the night before and the sun came out. They had groomed nothing. All glades and trails opened and triple trouble. The only line all day was at the Gondola. This was the Sunday in-between Mass school week and NH school week. I was expecting a shit show I got the rare great Loon weekend day. Also skied for under 50 bucks. Will I go back? Yes but not unless they have fresh snow.

chuckstah

No Brits? They were clogging trails everywhere earlier this week, and in abundance at Pico today as well.

granite

Loon is great during the week for skiing fast on groomers with a long pair of skis if that's what you like to do. You sure can ski a lot of vertical with the 3 high speed quads they have. Weekends do not go to Loon.