• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mountain: Open 2009-2010 Only F-M and Holidays

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I disagree. I think they are good people and have good business sense. If not, why would they cut back the operations to weekends only? They have some problems that they are trying to address. They have had a bad hand of cards dealt to them...on top of the huge needs of the resort, they have tried to move ahead at a time where there is little or no credit for ANY commercial real estate venture not to mention a terrible economy. They have been trying to get investors for quite some time.

I agree with TB...the current owners seem to be doing the best they can in uncertain financial times....They are at least trying to come up with a working long-term model..as opposed to the last bunch who seemed to just go from the hip without any long-term vision. The mid-week, Plattekill, model should be a good model to follow...as others have said, if nothing else, it should at least help to curb some costs. I love Magic....it was the first place I skied in the early 70's and I want to see it last!

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
You should stick a donation jar out there midweek for the earn turners to support the hill. :)

I certainly will. And feel free to look me up when you come up for some laps. I will most likely be out there earning turns too.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
On another note, we have a new product for sale as well. A 3 pack of tickets for $120. Valid anytime. They need to be purchased before 12/1 and bought online. For those unable to buy a pass, but would like an inexpensive option to visit a couple of times a season it is a good deal. I am just adding it to the site now., http://www.magicmtn.com/static_page.php?id=39

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
On another note, we have a new product for sale as well. A 3 pack of tickets for $120. Valid anytime. They need to be purchased before 12/1 and bought online. For those unable to buy a pass, but would like an inexpensive option to visit a couple of times a season it is a good deal. I am just adding it to the site now., http://www.magicmtn.com/static_page.php?id=39

No more than two (2) tickets may be used in one day

Does this mean they're transferrable? I could buy a 3 Pack, show up with a friend, and still have another ticket for another day?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wish Magic the best of luck and think it's a wise move cutting back the schedule. I would think 5 days would be better than four though. It's better than closing, but if I were a pass holder, I'd like the option for lift serviced skiing five days a week.

Hopefully I get over there again someday. Southern VT areas unfortunately don't make a lot of sense for me to drive to given my location. It's unfortunate there isn't a decent east west high way for northern new england.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
I can count on 1 hand the number of passholders who ski Tuesday-Thursday when there isn't fresh snow. Those same passholders also have a midweek Stratton or Bromley pass so we are hoping they understand the situation at hand.

2knees

OK folks, especially those who were posting in the other Magic thread so passionately, I want a roll call of those folks who put their money where their mouth is and buy a pass or better yet a share.

And to be clear, this is not a "call out," it is simply a friendly challenge to help the mountain. :D

bs, its a petty and ridiculous attempt to throw some back after you repeatedly put your foot in your mouth in that thread. Being passionate about a mountain but not being able to justify spending the coin on a share is PERFECTLY reasonable. I take serious offense to this. I will continue to support magic by buying full price lift tickets and food in their lodge and giving glowing reports of the place to anyone who will listen. I've bought tickets instead of using vouchers that were offered to me and when i was stuck last year, i asked for a voucher instead of a refund. that voucher went unused and i have ZERO problem with that.

this is a great deal and one i will be taking advantage of.

good to hear magic will be available to those who want to go and experience it for all it is.

WJenness

Awesome.

I will probably take you up on this deal.

I like what you are doing and want to see you succeed. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to buy either a pass or a share at the current time... However, I'd love to come up and ski and support the mountain.

I wish you guys the best of luck.

-w

p.s. i'm going to vegas for a work conference tonight... If I win a bunch of money, I promise to buy a share.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I can count on 1 hand the number of passholders who ski Tuesday-Thursday when there isn't fresh snow. Those same passholders also have a midweek Stratton or Bromley pass so we are hoping they understand the situation at hand.

Fair enough. It sounds like you're making the right decision. Just stating my individual preference for having five days available at my home mountain. Then again, I'd be in favor of just weekend over closing if that's what it takes.

midd

MT. Abram still does something like this, but has night turns and SR Overflow tends to go there and they get some folks on wind hold days. I would not be surpirsed by more mid week shutdowns and less lifts mid week at bigger places. The industry is feeling the economy.

this is one of the main things I've worried about for the upcoming season.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I will buy a three-pack, maybe a couple early. With a family in their most expensive years, I can't swing the shareholder thing.

If anyone wants to meet me there for the day,you can use one of my tix. PM me now or during the season. I'd like to get Magic some early $.

Lastly, we need to get word out to the non-AZ folks. This crew has already shown it is passionate, but we need to get others.

bvibert

Staff member
Wow, that was fast. I only posted that minutes ago.

The decision to cut back operating hours was a tough one, but we are hoping it can enable us to provide a better experience for our guests when we are open. The truth to the matter is that skier visits are dismally low on midweek days when there is no new snow. Under this schedule we will be able to focus on the days that matter and also significantly cut back costs across the board.

As for staffing most employees will still be able to work a 40 hour week (or close to it) and we are having good luck in finding the right people who are flexible enough to accommodate the powder days clause.

Overall, this measure is really a factor of us wanting to continue to keep the mountain open with an eye towards growing support for the new partnership venture. We truly believe that it can work and having the winter to sell it to the magic faithful face to face will be invaluable. As I have seen mentioned on alpinezone, closure of the mountain for a year can have a very negative impact on all aspects of the business from infrastructure to passholder loyalty, etc.

We hope we will see many alpinezoners this season!!

Matt, thanks for checking in with the official word!

I will definitely be there this season. I'd buy a pass if I lived closer, or was able to get north more often, but I don't and can't so buying day passes and eating in the lodge will have to do.

That 3 tickets for $120 seem like a real good deal.

shpride

The 3 for $120 is a great deal! I think it is a no-brainer to close Tues-Thur if they aren't getting any business. .

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
I think it's a great idea. Plattekill is sucessful under a similar system. Like the 3 for $120 and think I could go for it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Alex,

How is the lake? I hope to be down there this weekend fishing with a friend. Knee Deep Club!!!

faceplant

what kind of alert system are you setting up for midweek pow days?

post on website?

email?

text message?

some of us are a good hike away from you so the earlier we get it the better

Plattekill set up a texting system for pow alerts- mebbe you could give Lazlo a shout & find out how he did it.....:snow: