• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mountain: Open 2009-2010 Only F-M and Holidays

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Not originally. I grew up in Maplewood, NJ, which is a few towns over...moved around the state a bit and settled in Summit, NJ two years ago.

Nice. Madison boy myself. Friends spread all throughout the area now. Come to Magic on any given weekend and you are sure to find a Morris/Essex county crew hanging out.

catskills

So if Magic gets 2+ feet of new pow Tuesday to Thursday, you can ski fresh tracks on Friday. Cool :snow:

Plattekill does Friday to Sunday plus snowdaze 3 inches or more (something like that).

I think you can rent out Platekill for skiing mid week for a private party. Its not as expensive as you might think. This may have changed.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
So if Magic gets 2+ feet of new pow Tuesday to Thursday, you can ski fresh tracks on Friday. Cool :snow:

Plattekill does Friday to Sunday plus snowdaze 3 inches or more (something like that).

I think you can rent out Platekill for skiing mid week for a private party. Its not as expensive as you might think. This may have changed.

Um... only if the mountain wasn't 50% open. Otherwise 2+ feet over three days would mean more than 6" at least one of those days. Since they open the day following 6+ inch snowfall... still not sure what you're trying to say here.

roark

No, the magic powder clause would have the mt open the day after any 6+" event similar to p-kills, provided at least 50% of the mt is open.

The only problem with that is those of us close enough will do our best to track it out before the lifts turn. :beer:

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!

I believe, if it snows a foot or more at Plattekill they will open mid-week....and apparently, Magic will open midweek as well if they get 6" or more. Isn't that correct?

Edit: Doh! I started to respond...took a phone call and pow...2 others beat me to it!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Nice. Madison boy myself. Friends spread all throughout the area now. Come to Magic on any given weekend and you are sure to find a Morris/Essex county crew hanging out.
Madison is a cool town. I might just have to add Magic to my short list this year (which keeps growing longer for some strange reason).

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
This is a really wise move for Magic and makes a lot of sense. I can only imagine how much easier and less expensive mountain operations will be. By cutting out 3/7 days, that is almost half of their day to day expenses of pay roll, electricity, heating, etc. I would assume they will open for holiday periods in addition to powder days.

RustyGroomer

Here's my personal challenge to folks in here: I'd like to see at least one Magic TR for every SB TR I post this season. :wink:

A TR off? The Magic crew gladly accepts this challege. :beer:

Edit to add I have bought both my pass & a share.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
A TR off? The Magic crew gladly accepts this challege. :beer:

Edit to add I have bought both my pass & a share.

Rusty, Here's another idea. Why not have "guided tours" at 10 am. Either have someone stand outside and make trail recommendations to the newbies, or show them around the mountain. Why? In some circles magic has "expert" written all over it, just like MRG. Based on the day's conditions, suggest trails to newcomers after sizing up their ability. Give them another reason why coming to Magic, when they could go elsewhere will result in a good time. Not all skiers are powder pigs or experts, so do more to make them comfortable. It would only cost an hour of someone's time each day, and I'm sure you hate to be on the slopes too much ;)

faceplant

email from magic today......

season pass

college kids $129 ....................not a misprnt

jr & sr $319

guys like me $379

..........until 10/5/09

orangegondola

Website
www.chairlift.org
Trails being trimmed

Just bought passes for my wife and me. Matt tells me a crew is going up to trim red, black from the top, Magicial, twilight zone and goniff. This combined with the help on work days should make for some fine skiing this winter. If you haven't skiied magic, this is the year.

roark

Just bought passes for my wife and me. Matt tells me a crew is going up to trim red, black from the top, Magicial, twilight zone and goniff. This combined with the help on work days should make for some fine skiing this winter. If you haven't skiied magic, this is the year.
Word.

dmc

how many people usually ski Magic Tuesdays-Thursdays??? with 16,000 annual skier visits I'd guess less than 100 each day which means with utilities and wages..they just lose more money..

I will personally be surprised if Magic survives more than another season with the current owners..they just don't seem very business minded and their balance sheet is a disaster..

Never been to Magic.... Need to check it off the list