• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mar 5/6

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Winds are honkin' (BTV plot). Must be wind holds.
Stowe: Mountain Triple is open and the FourRunner Quad is on wind hold. The Gondola is currently on hold but we expect that to open by 9:15am.

CXX.10780.gif

Last edited:

noski

about 18"+ here near the base of Mt. Ellen at 1,500ft... best news.. no wind here. Potentially blocked by the ridge at my condo location, but trees here aren't moving at all... let's hope that stays and the lifts start spinning! :)

No wind at 1750' Center Fayston (MRV) and no wind on the MRV floor/Rt 100...and a lot of snow, still falling.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
No wind at 1750' Center Fayston (MRV) and no wind on the MRV floor/Rt 100...and a lot of snow, still falling.

That's a relief for MRV. Can see drifts on the cam up at Underhill at the research center.

Interesting how may places are closed today in NH
Cannon, Cranmore, Dartmouth, Ragged, Wildcat, Whaleback
Most of Mass/Berks

thetrailboss

Staff member
From what I have been seeing and hearing, there was a line that cut diagnally across Vermont and NH, from about just south of Rutland, across to just north of WRJ and up through Cannon area so that south of that line it was rain/sleet and north of it was snow. The further North and West the more snow and the drier it was. I have heard that the NEK got more r^&* before the switchover, so there is water underneath it. Here in BTV it switched over 10:45 or so yesterday morning, so we lucked out.

WinnChill

From what I have been seeing and hearing, there was a line that cut diagnally across Vermont and NH, from about just south of Rutland, across to just north of WRJ and up through Cannon area so that south of that line it was rain/sleet and north of it was snow. The further North and West the more snow and the drier it was. I have heard that the NEK got more r^&* before the switchover, so there is water underneath it. Here in BTV it switched over 10:45 or so yesterday morning, so we lucked out.

You got it--yeah, it was just a matter of tossing out some huge snow amounts for N VT...but the Whites were were a different story with a stalled mixing line. I thought it would change over for Cannon/Bretton, etc last night. :-(

thetrailboss

Staff member
You got it--yeah, it was just a matter of tossing out some huge snow amounts for N VT...but the Whites were were a different story with a stalled mixing line. I thought it would change over for Cannon/Bretton, etc last night. :-(

I just assumed that those areas would have gotten snow, but must be the front stalled right near that area.

TRWstock

just got back from skiing a few runs at Mt. Ellen/Sugarbush (had to get back to work or else I'd be there all day) - truly epic, its about knee deep everywhere (i'm 6ft tall); and while only the GMX is open, plenty of killer terrain to get lost in. They weren't even starting to dig out the summit or North Ridge chairs (also on windhold) - so, expect those to still have fresh tracks tomorrow.

Cannonball

Winn,
I really like your site, your forecast presentation, and your availability on this forum. It seems like you're working 24/7. I'm curious how much you cross-check your forecasts vs actuals and then use that as feedback for future forecasts.

I'm not saying this to be critical, because again, I really like what you do and I can only imagine how tricky it is. But the Cannon area seems like it's been tough for you this year and I wonder how the learning process works. There have been several storms that either missed altogether or were like this one.

Keep up the good work.

WinnChill

Winn,
I really like your site, your forecast presentation, and your availability on this forum. It seems like you're working 24/7. I'm curious how much you cross-check your forecasts vs actuals and then use that as feedback for future forecasts.

I'm not saying this to be critical, because again, I really like what you do and I can only imagine how tricky it is. But the Cannon area seems like it's been tough for you this year and I wonder how the learning process works. There have been several storms that either missed altogether or were like this one.

Keep up the good work.

I hear what you're saying Cannonball. Yes, it's very time consuming--almost all of it is personal time and passion. Since starting the New England forecasts a while back, we've been keeping some storm records. Problem is, no storm is exactly the same and each one affects resorts differently in some fashion--many micro-variables for each resort is hard to keep track of, but I'm trying. Recent travels the past couple of weekends (during critical storm updates) got me way behind...believe me, I'm not happy about it but there was no way around it.

nelsapbm

If you are on Facebook check out the pages for WCAX, WPTZ, and Fox 44. Folks are posting pictures - crazy. Easily 2' at my house with 6' + drifts.