• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

May/June Late Season Skiing

dlague

Well for June nothing in New England. We skied A Basin until June 12th last year. Was never any powder though. It was pure spring skiing craziness. The last day had top to bottom with High Noon all bumped out. The top was Lenawee Face to Dercums Gulch to High Noon. So June turns are possible there and definitely in California and also Oregon. Going into May we have A Basin and Loveland at 100 % open. Today was phenomenal - powdah ! Has been snowing all week on the Continental Divide. With another foot coming tonight and more next week. Loveland will go one week into May. Then the stay open a little longer for their ski club only. Beyond that A Basin will be the only game in town. Unless you want to hitch rides on Loveland pass.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

Not really. A lot of them will be closing after this weekend, despite a large snowpack. Lack of skiers.

As for out West... there's some stuff still open.

Bachelor in Oregon - daily operations until Memorial Day.
Mt. Hood Meadows in Oregon also, not sure how late they usually go, maybe June/July?
Mammoth, CA
Squaw, CA
Heavenly, CA -- closing after this weekend

Others who are open now, but I'm not sure if they're open past early May:

Mt. Rose, Tahoe -- closing after this weekend
Sugar Bowl, CA -- closing after this weekend
Timberline Lodge, OR
Snowbird, UT
White Pass, WA
Lake Lousie, Banff, CAN
Sunshine Village, Banff, CAN
Mont Saint-Sauveur, QC, CAN
Whistler-Blackcomb, BC, CAN
Winter Park, CO
Arapahoe Basin, CO
Loveland, CO -- Next weekend
Nakiska, Alberta, CAN
I also think Lake Lousie closes early May. Can't remember exact date though.

snoseek

If you're going west to ski snow in july just go hike for turns somewhere good and lonely

cdskier

Jay just posted on FB they are done after Monday May 1st now.

And yet on their website they are still advertising ski vacation deals for next weekend! It really shouldn't be so hard to update everything within minutes of each other when decisions are made. (And this isn't aimed only at jay as many places are guilty of the same thing with saying things on social media that don't match their websites)

Perhaps they lost more snow than they expected today? When I got up to sugarbush around 630 this evening it was still almost 75 at the base. Snow is disappearing quickly here.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

2Planker

The Cat is pulling the plug after today. Bummer, thought they had said Sunday 4/30..??
Down to 9 trails so no doubt they lot a LOT of cover since last weekend.

Tin

Well for June nothing in New England.

hqdefault.jpg

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Our last day will be May 1st--bottom of the Haynes and Jet are both trashed. thanks for the heads up re: website hanger-ons-just made the decision at end of ops yesterday and folks likely still taking things down.

And yet on their website they are still advertising ski vacation deals for next weekend! It really shouldn't be so hard to update everything within minutes of each other when decisions are made. (And this isn't aimed only at jay as many places are guilty of the same thing with saying things on social media that don't match their websites)

Perhaps they lost more snow than they expected today? When I got up to sugarbush around 630 this evening it was still almost 75 at the base. Snow is disappearing quickly here.

cdskier

It may be a challenge for sugarbush to be open until Monday. Snowball is narrow and thin and not really anything left to push around. Steins has a few spots where you are running out of options on where to go as well.
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1493473675.170890.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1493473688.574919.jpg

I may have to hike up spring fling a bit Monday if they don't make it just so I can say I skied in May!

kingslug

Just got back from Snowbird where almost 40 inches fell..It's always an option. Cheap deals at the cliff lodge and airfare isn't crazy.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Haters gonna hate!

Was not making any earth shattering statements. Let me ask this when was the last time there was lift served skiing in June in New England? My bet it was at Killington and probably only on June 1st quite some time ago.

Yeah, but don't count your chickens before they hatch. With a little luck, K might make it this year.

The last year they did was 2002. You can throw out the many years that Nyberg ran the place as he didn't care to try for June. Killington did make it into June six years in a row in the 90s, seven years in a row in the 80s and have offered skiing as late as June 22nd.

No, it's not Abasin, but what they attempt to do every year is great for the New England skiing region as it pushes the envelope at both the start and end of the year. I bet several places would have shorter seasons if it wasn't for Killingtons efforts.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Yeah, but don't count your chickens before they hatch. With a little luck, K might make it this year.

The last year they did was 2002. You can throw out the many years that Nyberg ran the place as he didn't care to try for June. Killington did make it into June six years in a row in the 90s, seven years in a row in the 80s and have offered skiing as late as June 22nd.

No, it's not Abasin, but what they attempt to do every year is great for the New England skiing region as it pushes the envelope at both the start and end of the year. I bet several places would have shorter seasons if it wasn't for Killingtons efforts.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
I have no doubts they will shoot for June. I have skied there to the end for the past 4-5 seasons but they have always fallen short. I hope they do claim June lift served. If they do I hope it is at least June 3rd and not just June 1st.

But it is the darn S turn that develops towards the bottom.

drjeff

I have no doubts they will shoot for June. I have skied there to the end for the past 4-5 seasons but they have always fallen short. I hope they do claim June lift served. If they do I hope it is at least June 3rd and not just June 1st.

But it is the darn S turn that develops towards the bottom.

The area the S forms was DEEP last weekend, and to my eye atleast they have much more snow than they have in a while down below the S area next to the line of Snow Logic towers on skiers left.

If the East has an above average, wet next few months - June likely won't happen this year. If we can get into an "average" temperature pattern and not too much liquid precip with some occasional nights where it dips into the 20's for a few hours to really set things up, then K is in as good a shape to ski into June as they've been in a while

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Just got back from Snowbird where almost 40 inches fell..It's always an option. Cheap deals at the cliff lodge and airfare isn't crazy.

What's it like staying up there for a week? I found some really cheap deals for staying at Snowbird Easter week, but wasnt sure how it would be staying up there. As long as the road's clear it's < 1 hour RT to a restaurants/grocery stores etc.. so I imagine it's not too bad.

kingslug

Its better to stay on the mountain now as the road can get crazy and there is no bus anymore. The lines for the Tram have been insane as 12 inch dumps each night have brought the locals out in droves..but its so worth it. Check out the Cliff lodge deals. I think they are under 200 a night including lift ticket. Doesn't get any cheaper. You don't need to get off the MT as General Grits at Snowbird has some food. But if you want to rent a car its about 230 for the week, 4WD will double that which you would need if it dumps. I go up every December and stay at the Cliff and never need to go back down.

Duncanator24

Has anyone skiied Squaw Valley late season? Just curious what sort of lifts/trails they generally keep open super late season. I am going to be in California (LA) for a bit early June anyways and might add on a trip there for a couple days. Saw they do $52 per ticket if you show a season pass from anywhere in the US. Seems like a pretty good deal and theyve gotten dumped on enough that it could work out.

Same goes for Mammoth (lift tickets are not much more that time of the year) but its easier to convince my girlfriend to go to Tahoe since we can stop at Napa on the way.

Also, really surprised that Jay died out early. I thought they had excessive amounts of snow still. Was trying to put together a trip there next weekend, but oh well! Might go to the K instead.

snoseek

Squaw is running Shirley lake chair for summer season which is not overly exciting terrain but hey its skiing.
Not sure about mammoth but I bet it will be skiing a whole lot better.

jaytrem

Has anyone skiied Squaw Valley late season? Just curious what sort of lifts/trails they generally keep open super late season.

I skied there in late May one year, had a great time. Most of the skiing was up top and to the right. The primary lifts were Granite, Shirley and Gold Coast. It was accessed by the tram and they also had the Mountain Run open so you could ski back to the base. The tram was on a set schedule (like every 20 or 30 minutes). So if you ski to the base you might want to time it properly. This is no doubt the year to do it with the super deep snow pack. Probably can't go wrong with either place. I do see Mammoth's open terrain is basically the center of the mountain. That's 12 open lifts and a ton of acres. Not sure how much terrain both places will close by then just due to lack of crowds.