• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Michael Fanti and The Spearheads

dlague

I learned of Michael Franti via a ski movie (Warren Miller's Children of Winter) in 2008. At that time he was a little known artist and still is for the most part but gaining now with a couple songs that hit the charts. His sound is kind of a mix of rock/pop, some reggae and a little hip hop (using this term loosely).

Well we had a chance to see him at Soulshine at Meadowbrook in Gilford, NH this past weekend. He, and his band, was one of four artists with the other notable artist being SOJA. While SOJA was really fun to listen to with lots of reggae style jammin' and lots of energy, Micheal Franti and The Spearheads tore it up. They kept the crowd on their feet by pumping everyone up continuously. We were jumping, clapping and arm waving fools! People were dancing everywhere! Being an outdoor venue - there was that aroma the let you know Mary Jane was at the show too! I have to say this was absolutely by far one of the best concerts that I have been to. He walked through the crowds a lot singing and brought many people up on stage. They threw out about 25 or more beach balls in to the audience and they were flying everywhere. Probably the most interactive concert - really reaching out to the people. He shared a lot about his life and how it relates to the audience and also spoke about his son (15) that is ill then sang another really cool song.

If you have never seen him - check it out! We look forward to seeing him in concert again!

franti4.jpg

franti2.jpg

Beach balls!

franti3.jpg

Here he is in the audience!

franti1.jpg

https://www.michaelfranti.com/listen

He and his wife founded "Do It For The Love Foundation" - bringing the healing gift of attending a live concert to people living with advanced life-threatening illnesses and wounder warriors.

Cannonball

I saw Spearhead for the first time in 1995. They played the House of Blues, back when HoB was a tiny little joint in Harvard Square. It was the best show I have ever seen. The played for 3 hours of pure, sweaty, soul-R&B-hiphop. They came back to HoB the following year (1996) and we OF COURSE could not miss it for the world and brought a handful of friends to experience it. We showed up to find out it was sold out. I was SO depressed. As we walked away I saw M Franti sitting by himself on a park bench in Harvard Square. I went over and sat next to him. I thank him for the best show I had ever seen, and I apologized for the fact that I was going to miss the experience this time. We talked for awhile about random stuff. Then he told me to write down all my friends names, he'd put me on his personal guest list!!! That show was just as insane and shares top honors for best shows I've ever seen.

Since then I have seen them dozens and dozens of times in all kinds of settings. Micheal solo acoustic at a church in Burlington, VT was one of the best and wildest. Their sound and their show these days is a little more "pop" and a little more choreographed, but I still go see them every time I have the chance. The man's heart, soul, vibe, and energy really is inspirational.

Really glad to hear you got turned on them. See you at a show!!

Edd

Seen him a couple of times. Fun shows. They played at a small club in Aspen the same week I was there this year. I was ready to go but the cheapest tix were about $94 so I skipped it.

dlague

The man's heart, soul, vibe, and energy really is inspirational.

That is spot on! Other posting that have seen him know what I am talking about. Funny thing is - I wanted to see him in Portland, ME a few years back and my wife was not very interested. After this past weekend, she was looking up other tour dates.

catskillman

He has played at Mountain Jam at Hunter for at least the last 5 years. He does the same every year with the beach balls, jumping up & down, and always goes into the handicapped section. (Suddenly those folks are healed and jumping around). This year he had a couple get engaged on stage. He stays at the Villa Vosilla every year and about 2 am plays in the hotel bar for a small cover. (This is never really advertised, but he has done it for years.)

crank

anything except death by listening to MF spearhead

catskillman

He has played at Mountain Jam at Hunter for at least the last 5 years. He does the same every year with the beach balls, jumping up & down, and always goes into the handicapped section. (Suddenly those folks are healed and jumping around). This year he had a couple get engaged on stage. He stays at the Villa Vosilla every year and about 2 am plays in the hotel bar for a small cover. (This is never really advertised, but he has done it for years.)
And he does all this barefoot! which I find interesting and very disgusting.