• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mittersill Opening Day

bobbutts

http://cannonmt.com/snowreport.html
"The Mittersill area will make it's debut of the season today giving you access to an additional 86 acres of all natural terrain. You'll find all natural powder conditons over there on expert terrain, so please use caution. The new Mittersill Double Chair will be spinning tomorrow for maintenance purposes ONLY...please DO NOT attempt to access the lift. The shuttle from the Peabody Base Area to the base of the Mittersill chair runs all day from open-5pm. "

I spoke to the tram operator on Friday and he said they need to load test the chair still and that he thought it could open on Thursday, but nothing concrete.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was going to say load test. Has Cannon released a new trail map with that terrain named?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Well that was great while it lasted...chair was already closed today (January 2nd) due to lack of snow. The areas near the bottom that are traditionally wet have already melted bare, even after the earth work done.

Moe Ghoul

Skied Cannon last Wednesday, poor viz on the upper half of the mountain but the lower half didn't disappoint. Echo glades still had good coverage and the bumps on Zoomer and Paulie's were soft and fluffy. First time back since the 70's, I liked it.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Well that was great while it lasted...chair was already closed today (January 2nd) due to lack of snow. The areas near the bottom that are traditionally wet have already melted bare, even after the earth work done.
The fact that it spun at all this early in the season is what surprises me. For Mittersill to have the coverage it did last week is pretty rare this early in the season. Though for what it is worth, I don't think any trail in New England without snow making will be open tomorrow.

thetrailboss

Staff member

So are you suggesting that NH invest a few mill in a snowmaking system to solve that problem? ;)

UVSHTSTRM

So are you suggesting that NH invest a few mill in a snowmaking system to solve that problem? ;)

Or perhaps he is saying that it's a waste of money to put a new lift over there if you are not going to put snowmaking in? Adding more people to an area that survives maybe a good month or so with no lift and then expecting to last is just redonkulous.

SIKSKIER

Conditions were pretty lousy on Saturday at Mittersill because of the warm-up.Really wet natural snow was very challenging.We had quite a melt over the weekend and if not for the snowbanks you be hard pressed to believe they recieved 30 inches last week.F-in NE weather really blows.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Boo, hiss Mother Nature.
I rubbed my Ullr Medal today...

hanging_Ullr_medals%5B1%5D.JPG

What did you do for Ullr today????

Cannonball

What did you do for Ullr today????

Took a hike in the woods in Lincoln. Although there was significant loss of snow depth, a lot of that came in the form of compression. With the very cold temps today it was a good solid crunchy base. Plus most of the stream crossing and wet spots were mostly frozen now. Add 6-10" of fresh on top of that and we'll actually be better off than we were a week ago for BC.

We had a done a nice BC tour on Thursday prior to the melt. Although the snow was light and fluffy the base just wasn't there and the gear took a fairly good pounding.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
I believe I was accused of making this up this fall when I reported what a patroller had told me the new policy would be, but I wanted to confirm that, with the lift not spinning, Mittersill is closed from the saddle.

mittersillclosed.jpg