• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Moguls ...Then / Now

Dickc

I will not be skiing moguls any more. After 5 back surgeries, and still having some discomfor at times, it would be absolutely insanity for me to try them. I was never very good at them anyway!:sadwalk:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Does it feel like moguls as a skill have been waning?

Top end, yes.

Middle of the road, no.

A combination of easier turning skis over the past fifteen years combined with more people skiing trees where many of the skills in tree skiing are applicable to moguls, means there are more people who can handle moguls today than decades ago. They might not be great at them, but certainly better than the advanced intermediates on 195 cm straight skis in the 80s and 90s. At least from what I remember.

I'd say the reason why there isn't as many top end bumpers also has to do with tree skiing as well as the advent of park skiing. Back in the 80s and 90s when there were no parks and less demand for tree skiing, a mountains bump runs were often the only option for challenge or for people who wanted to jump and learn tricks. I used to live in the moguls bell to bell back then. Now bumps might only account for 40-50% of my runs in a day. Often less if it's just a hardpack skiing day. Folks just aren't as focused on mastering bumps today.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I see a bunch of dedicated mogul skiers at Blue mountain but their average age is in the 30’s or better .A good bit of them have there kids with them. It’s good to see teenagers actually want to spend time with a parent.

For the most part the kids are in the park . Not much tree skiing in Pa. but when there is they take advantage of it.

When I see people grinding rails I wince. You need that part of your edges for speed control in the bumps.

Domeskier

Top end, yes.

Middle of the road, no.
Agreed. Most of the top end bumpers I see these days are 40+ holdovers from the straight ski era (unless I'm at a resort with a competitive mogul program). I think part of the reason is also the brutal grooming of intermediate terrain. If your only access to bumps is on double black steeps, it will be extremely difficult to develop good bump skiing fundamentals. I wish more places would seed bumps on low-angle trails. They are quite popular with skiers of all skill levels in my experience and they really help to inspire confidence in the bumps.

Teleskier

If your only access to bumps is on double black steeps, it will be extremely difficult to develop good bump skiing fundamentals.
There's a lot of truth to this. Or you wait until the soft corn snow spring to tackle them, but the majority has stopped skiing by then.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Agreed. Most of the top end bumpers I see these days are 40+ holdovers from the straight ski era (unless I'm at a resort with a competitive mogul program). I think part of the reason is also the brutal grooming of intermediate terrain. If your only access to bumps is on double black steeps, it will be extremely difficult to develop good bump skiing fundamentals. I wish more places would seed bumps on low-angle trails. They are quite popular with skiers of all skill levels in my experience and they really help to inspire confidence in the bumps.

Definitely true. I wrote about that in a SAM piece back in 2014 (https://www.saminfo.com/speakout-issues/4241-speakout-where-are-all-the-moguls) and much of it remains true today. Though I do feel like the situation has actually improved since I penned that piece. It seems more resorts have been either seeding bumps or half grooming as compared with 10 years ago. Regardless, the fact remains: if people are to learn to ski (and enjoy) moguls, they need something more tame than double black terrain to learn on.

PAabe

I would love to see more intermediate terrain with half bumps. Seems like a good number of blacks are left half groomed but even those can beat you up if you are not good and the snow conditions are not ideal.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I would love to see more intermediate terrain with half bumps. Seems like a good number of blacks are left half groomed but even those can beat you up if you are not good and the snow conditions are not ideal.
I haven’t been to Camelback this year but in the past they let Lower Cleopatra bump up . I enjoy the steep bumps but that was pretty fun.

PAabe

Roundtop used to bump up part of the bunny hill which was fun

I usually pay my respects to Camelback late season, not this year, got bamboozled by them being closed this weekend. Bumps at Blue are pretty challenging even on main st. due to the typical icy condition

Last edited:

snoseek

Spend some time at wildcat that leave lots of low angle stuff natural

PAabe

If I go epic for next year I will definitely be paying wildcat a visit. Might alternatively go Indy to hit up the likes of Magic and Cannon - Would they too have some low angle natural bump stuff?

Some of the most fun runs of my season were lapping the soft natural low-angle bumps under the Gore North quad and laurel mountain lift.

JimG.

Staff member
Some of the most fun runs of my season were lapping the soft natural low-angle bumps under the Gore North quad and laurel mountain lift.
North Quad rocks also some of my favorite eastern intermediate terrain over there.

jaywbigred

Best mogul skiing tips I got in a lesson years ago:

2) lift your heels up (but not off the ground) and drive your ski tips down the back side of the bump. Someone downhill of you shouldn’t be seeing the underside of your skis.
This was the best tip I ever got and made the biggest difference for me in skiing rhythmically through a zipper, even when the lines aren't perfect. They talk about team sports athletes eventually having "the game slow down" once they have a certain amount of experience and understanding, and this is what happened for me in bump skiing when I started concentrating on lifting my heals up and back, like riding a bike backwards.
I think part of the reason is also the brutal grooming of intermediate terrain. If your only access to bumps is on double black steeps, it will be extremely difficult to develop good bump skiing fundamentals.
1000% this.
Add me to the low angle bump petition.
Me too! Mount Snow was doing a lot of this 10+ years ago when we were in the market to buy our ski condo. They have gotten totally away from it, which is really frustrating and sad. Especially this time of year, because bashing low angle slushy bumps in a tshirt is pretty hard to beat.
Good to know. I was worried that maybe low angle bumps were a Peak/Vail casualty, but maybe there is hope.

Anyway, happy to see this thread! My wife was on my case this weekend for getting rid of my bump skis bc I haven't used them in a few years and they are taking up room in the condo, but I am holding out.