• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mohawk - 12/20/06 Night

bvibert

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: 12/20/06

Resort or Ski Area: Mohawk Mountain

Conditions: Loose granular, hard-pack, machine groomed

Trip Report: After a long day I was finally able to make it to Mohawk by a bit before 8, much later than I told Grassi21 I would show up. I was happy to see that there were virutally no cars in the lot when I arrived (maybe 10) and guns blowing snow all over the mountain. As expected there were only two options down, but to my surprise there were three chairs running (one servicing the bunny slope). On my first lift ride up I saw Grassi making some nice turns down Wildwood. He noticed me riding up the chair and waited for me at the bottom. We made few runs on the intermediate option, Arrowhead, before heading back to the Expert option, Wildwood. Grassi had to leave after a few more runs, I stayed and did laps on Wildwood until about 9:50. I think I was the only non-patroller on the hill for my last few runs. :)

All in all it was a nice night to get out and a pleasure to get to make some turns with Grassi21 again. The conditions weren't bad, some scratchy spots on Wildwood but not too bad. It was mostly edgable packed man-made with some spots with piles of what I guess you could call loose granular. While they had lots of guns going most of them were on trails that weren't open yet, the ones that were blowing on Wildwood were mostly pointing up the side of the trail so you didn't have to ski through any man-made blizzards if you didn't want to.

No pics. I did shoot some video on one chair ride up, but I don't think it's too exciting. I mostly wanted to see how the camera worked at night, under the lights...

Grassi21

I had a great time last night. Its cool to hit an AZ gathering with 20 or so people. But its even cooler to be a group of 2 or 3 and really get a chance to know my fellow AZ members.

I really started to hit the gas pedal on Arrowhead and it was a rush. I was even trying to push myself on Wildwood instead of slowly picking my way down the trail. I'm starting to feel more confident in my turns and enjoying the speed. Hands up!

Greg

Staff member
Nice! Glad you guys got out. Big gatherings are fun, albeit sometimes overwhelming. It is cool when small groups get out too. Can't wait for next Wednesday...