• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most over and underrated ski resort in NE?

skiNEwhere

I agree that wildcat is underrated. I think it's intimidating to beginners, and the cold and absolutely brutal wind scares away the typical, recreational skiers. Not to mention Loon (which I think I've been very clear about being overrated) is the exact opposite of all those categories, and much closer.

Of the 20 or so times I've skied there (usually Jan-Early March) I don't think it was ever above 10 degrees.

MadMadWorld

Out west I would have to vote for basically everything in the Canadian Rockies. Especially the BC side. Take a trip out to Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Fernie, etc. and you will be absolutely amazed that they don't get discussed more. Truly gorgeous place too in the middle of nowhere

Savemeasammy

I'm with you on this. If you have the will to go skiing and don't make the best of it, no matter what the mountain throws at you, then ask yourself why are you skiing at all. Skiing is a highly variable sport, no two days (heck, even runs ) are the same. If you're not finding a way to challenge yourself on the snow conditions, weather. crowds, etc... presented, then go hang out at the mall with all the other lost souls.

I once went to King Ridge (RIP) in the spring. The place was flat, and the snow was slow. I could literally make an entire run without making any turns other than those dictated by the trails themselves.

I will say it: there was no way to find any challenge, and it was not fun.

Otherwise I agree. There's usually a way to make a ski day enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough to beat Wildcat on a spring day in April. Views of Mt. Washington, tons of vertical on the quad. One day I had racked up 50K+ vertical from 9-2.

Brad J

Wildcat also has one of the best views in all of New England. Their biggest legitimate fault has been snowmaking.

Well they have really stepped up the snowmaking this year and it's paying off big. great terrain after a dump, no crowds, best lift in NH. way underrated

Brad J

Definitely depends on what your skiing. Sometimes I think the groomers choose trails at night by throwing darts at a trail map. They really don't have a true bump run except maybe Tomcat Schuss in the spring.

gondi line in spring isn't a bump run????

Brad J

No not really. It's a technical run with no real consistent bump line. That's not to say it's not a great run though. Catenary would be more of a traditional bump run.

Can we wait to april and reevaluate, yes it does have two technical areas to it. Catenary fun but not enough pitch