• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most over and underrated ski resort in NE?

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Unfortunately for many (not all), tight glades, bumped out runs and super steeps are a requirement for fun or even considering a mountain worthwhile. For those of you in that category, December must be depressing.

Yep, those things are pretty much required for it to be fun and yes, December is usually depressing. But not always.

Domeskier

[FONT=arial,] 2 rope tows. Longest Run: 1300'. Night Skiing. Rentals. Snowmaking.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,]15 skiable acres on 120' vertical[/FONT]

Ok - maybe there's a good reason it's not on the official list... Still not sure how NE resorts have garnered 17 pages of replies on this forum, but that's another question!!!

mbedle

Alright, here is my two cents for what its worth. I got to agree with who ever made the comment that stating something is over-rated or under-rated is very subjective. One man's junk is another man's treasure! Given that I'm an alpine snowboarder, wide open groomed trails are what I look for at a resort. I could care less about how many glade or bump runs a resort has, its just not something I am interested in skiing. And maybe this is just my age, but I tend to rate resorts on everything they offer, both on and off the mountain. If I'm taking a weeks vacation, I want good food, good beer and a damn nice place to lay my head down at night.

Smellytele

Alright, here is my two cents for what its worth. I got to agree with who ever made the comment that stating something is over-rated or under-rated is very subjective. One man's junk is another man's treasure! Given that I'm an alpine snowboarder, wide open groomed trails are what I look for at a resort. I could care less about how many glade or bump runs a resort has, its just not something I am interested in skiing. And maybe this is just my age, but I tend to rate resorts on everything they offer, both on and off the mountain. If I'm taking a weeks vacation, I want good food, good beer and a damn nice place to lay my head down at night.

i never stay at any place owned by a resort. Nor do I care about how great the food is at the resort because I chose to eat breakfast and dinner off the mountain. May grab a bowl of chowder or chilli or an app but that is about it for lunch. To me it is all about the skiing.

bigbog

Come on, doesnt anyone like Sunday River?

Have had some nice days after dumps back in the 90s. Had a nice day last week...a little tough...hardened pp with some wind but great for getting one's butt out of the backseat after few days the last 6-7yrs...;-) Managing without newly sharpened edges wasn't pretty the first two hours..lol.

jonhere

IMO I've never had a bad day at any ski resort... except for those involving season ending injuries. But even they were good days after a trip to the ER and the pharmacy. :beer:

I've skied all over North America and probably have logged over 150 days of skiing out west at all the best resorts. Some of the most enjoyable days I've ever had on the slopes have been at the most overlooked resorts like Elk mountain and Pico.

As far as the NE, I would be happy to be skiing at any of them right now. However what makes an experience less enjoyable for me would be overcrowded slopes, narrow trails side cut on a mountain, and lifts that stop every ten seconds to wait for challenged people to load and unload.

Having said that any resort in N. Vermont is underrated. Especially Jay Peak and Smuggs. Pico is my favorite south of them because of that I have not felt the need to ski at Killington in many years. Stratton is a great midweek resort to bomb the groomers and get 25k vert all before lunch.

MadMadWorld

I would vote for Smuggs but I am biased so I will vote for Wildcat because people hate on it for no reason. Where can you possibly ski that much vert on a given day? Tree skiing? Some of the best. Backcountry lovers? Have a blast skiing off the backside nevermind across the street. Lift lines? What's that. Not a mountain for beginners? As a kid I would ski Polecat over and over and never got tired of it.

The only real downsides I see are absolutely no slopeside lodging and lack of steeps. The lack of slopeside lodging to me is a positive. It means no one has an unfair advantage on powder days! Wildcat does lack steep groomers. However, the technical challenge more than makes up for it. Tons of terrain that seem a heck of a lot steeper because falling means crashing into a giant boulder that takes up half the trail.

VTKilarney

Wildcat also has one of the best views in all of New England. Their biggest legitimate fault has been snowmaking.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't think my legs would handle a dozen runs off the Cat quad before lunch. I typically don't ski much more than that in an average day there.

MadMadWorld

I don't think my legs would handle a dozen runs off the Cat quad before lunch. I typically don't ski much more than that in an average day there.

Definitely depends on what your skiing. Sometimes I think the groomers choose trails at night by throwing darts at a trail map. They really don't have a true bump run except maybe Tomcat Schuss in the spring.

Scruffy

IMO I've never had a bad day at any ski resort... .

I'm with you on this. If you have the will to go skiing and don't make the best of it, no matter what the mountain throws at you, then ask yourself why are you skiing at all. Skiing is a highly variable sport, no two days (heck, even runs ) are the same. If you're not finding a way to challenge yourself on the snow conditions, weather. crowds, etc... presented, then go hang out at the mall with all the other lost souls.