• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most over and underrated ski resort in NE?

Scruffy

Holy crap! You guys need to get a life. A beautiful autumn weekend and you're all posting on the interwebs :-o

Unless you've spent many days in variable conditions at a mountain, you probably don't know the mountain ( or if you're just a groomer skier, well then...). It takes a while to get to know all the nooks and crannies of each mountain, and why so many love it, except for MC, of course, although I've never skied there, and why would I 8)

DoublePlanker

Overrated is Killington. It totally sucks for skiing. It is NOT the best of the best in NE. The fucking crowds are ridiculous. Too many lifts crowd the trails. You take your life in your hands when you ski as an expert among the beginner cones out there on the shared beginner trails that experts must go down to reach the terrain. You have to take beginner connectors everywhere. Beginners and experts fighting for trail space. Yuck! There is very little terrain for intermediate cruising. The beginner slope Snowshed is a horror show for beginners with a double fall line.

Killington does have a lot of cool bars, apres-ski and cougar hunting. The long season is cool. Some good experts. But with much better skiing nearby at Stowe, Mad River, Sugarbush, etc.

Ragged is underrated. For a small place, excellent lifts, great glades.

Ski Till I Die

Website
www.skitillidie.com
Overrated or Underrated by whom?

Ski Magazine? Alpinezone members? Water cooler talk at work?

I've never really cared all that much about what others think of a particular area. I enjoy skiing just about everywhere. I just adjust my expectations towards whatever the particular ski area or that days conditions have to offer and have as much fun as I can while I'm there. Sometimes I'll get a little bored of what I'm skiing and cut a day short, but I'm always glad I went.

What I don't understand in skiing message bored land is the perpetual urge by certain people to tell others how much better their mountain is than where others ski. If not that, just blanket statements about how they think a place sucks. Think a place sucks? Don't ski there. If other people like a place that you think sucks? Who cares?

On board with this.

Although Hickory Ski Center is pretty damn amazing.

4aprice

On board with this.

I love reading this thread but also agree with DHS's response. Like any human I have my own bias's but for the most part enjoy most of the places mentioned (good and bad) for a myriad of reasons not all of them the same. Some I like for challenge, some for ambiance, some because the wife enjoys them. I find each resort has its own distinct flavor and for the most part I enjoy them all. Variety is the spice of life and it would suck if they were all the same. I'll take a day on the slopes over a day at work anytime.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Scruffy

A lot of Killington hate going on here. :lol: Killington does not suck. Like a lot of places, you have to know how to ski it. Are there other places I'd rather ski? sure, but it depends on the snow. If k-town has the snow, I'm there. Lift lines on prime weekends? yeah, again know which lift to be at when. They've fixed a lot of the crossover crap that had beginners intersecting with experts, doesn't mean it perfect, but they're trying.

Ski Till I Die

Website
www.skitillidie.com
Hey Scruffy-

I love Killington and that's my home mountain... (insert hate from everyone here)

So you know what?? Who cares... less people in the lift line, more powder stashes for us, and Ill bet you Ill see you at Coopers Cabin at some point this season either way.

Highway Star

Killington, overrated? You guys suck.

Two years ago today!!!

SATURDAY OCTOBER 13, 2012

KILLINGTON SEASON PASS APPRECIATION EVENT
Exclusive to Killington Season Pass and Express Card holders, we will be running two lifts and one trail for Saturday October 13, 2012. Killington Express Card holders will be charged $25 for use of the Express Card. No day tickets will be sold.

If conditions permit, this event will extend into Sunday, October 14, 2012. Operating hours for Sunday will be determined by Saturday evening.

The K-1 Express Gondola and the North Ride Triple Chair will operate from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Skiers and riders will use the Peak Walkway to access the one open trail, Rime.

Rime will be open with advanced terrain only and early season conditions exist. Terrain will not be groomed. Snowmaking will be in progress as temperatures permit. Walking, removing equipment and downloading are all required. There will be no terrain park features.

The K-1 Lodge will be open for guest services and restrooms. The Roaring Brook Umbrella Bars will be open with light fare and drinks.

Quietman

Come on, doesnt anyone like Sunday River?

I've had good days at SR, but have 2 main dislikes. Wide boulevard trails and wind holds. Ecstasy is about the only trail with any twists and turns, most others are basically straight and wide. I have also experienced a lot of days when White Cap, Barker, Aurora, and Jordan are on hold in the morning, and never seem to open if the wind dies down after 12 or 1. I don't even bother going there if there is a threat of wind, as Mt Abram and Black Mtn of ME never have holds.

levy1

I've had good days at SR, but have 2 main dislikes. Wide boulevard trails and wind holds. Ecstasy is about the only trail with any twists and turns, most others are basically straight and wide. I have also experienced a lot of days when White Cap, Barker, Aurora, and Jordan are on hold in the morning, and never seem to open if the wind dies down after 12 or 1. I don't even bother going there if there is a threat of wind, as Mt Abram and Black Mtn of ME never have holds.

Any month better then others. Going Jan 25 for a week.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's a crap shoot everywhere in New England. They will have plenty of terrain open then though. They're one of the best at making snow. Weather/natural snow amount is anyone's guess.

dlague

Unfortunately for many (not all), tight glades, bumped out runs and super steeps are a requirement for fun or even considering a mountain worthwhile. For those of you in that category, December must be depressing. I approach each mountain with one goal in mind - "Take what the mountain gives you!". I can go to Sunday River, Bretton Woods, Killington, Jay Peak, etc. and have fun and do not get bored - I am skiing!

Are there resorts that are overrated? Yes frankly, I think many of the bigger mountains are such as Killington, Stowe, and SR primarily due to the over marketing they do and considering the cost. With the right deal, I still ski there and I do not hate on them. There are others that are overrated like Loon, Attitash and Waterville - they have a tendency to get really crowded, or have something f'd up about them - Waterville is not as big or as challenging as marketed, Attitash has a very weird chair layout and it sucks going between the two peaks, Loon too crowded and over priced IMO.

Underrated - Saddleback, Magic, Mount Abram, Ragged, Burke, Bolton Valley

Smellytele

Unfortunately for many (not all), tight glades, bumped out runs and super steeps are a requirement for fun or even considering a mountain worthwhile. For those of you in that category, December must be depressing. I approach each mountain with one goal in mind - "Take what the mountain gives you!". I can go to Sunday River, Bretton Woods, Killington, Jay Peak, etc. and have fun and do not get bored - I am skiing!
When conditions are not great for tight glades, bumped out runs and super steeps I'll ski what is in and have fun but to not judge whether an area has that or not is not judging the place correctly. I can enjoy skiing anything in good condition but I will still judge terrain.

BenedictGomez

Unfortunately for many (not all), tight glades, bumped out runs and super steeps are a requirement for fun or even considering a mountain worthwhile.

Pretty much.

I live less than an hour to an hour to the Poconos resorts, and ski there 0 to 3 times per season.