• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow improvements for 08/09

mlctvt

Got the below email this morning from Mount Snow. It looks like they had a good year and they'll be adding even more fan guns for next season. Now they've just got to get their water project completed (maybe by 09/10?) and they'll be able to cover most of their terrain.

To our valued passholders,

Here's a heads up on news that will be released to the media on Monday. We wanted you to know first!
If you thought installing 101 fan guns last summer was big, have I got some news for you. I’m excited to announce our plans to install an additional 150+ new technology fan guns this summer. Thanks to the continuing commitment of Peak Resorts to establish Mount Snow as the premier ski resort in the East, we will now be proud to say that at 250+, we will have the most new technology fan guns in North America.

Trails that will receive the new fan guns include favorites like Ridge/Meadow, Upper Nitro, Lower Titanium, Mine Shaft, Deer Run, Canyon, Ledge, and Lower Exhibition, as well as assorted other locations. This capital investment in snowmaking alone totals over $5 million. If you had any doubt in your mind before, Mount Snow is back!

Tim Boyd, president of Peak Resorts, offers his congratulations to the Mount Snow community: “We believe that by improving the snow surfaces and the overall guest experience, Mount Snow’s potential can be realized. We appreciate your support during our first year.”

As you know, fan guns contain their own on-board air compressors, eliminating the need for diesel-powered compressed air. With this year’s investment, we will no longer need to rent the 16 diesel compressors that we ordinarily use. This will result in a real savings of approximately 200,000 gallons of diesel fuel per year, significantly reducing our carbon emissions and dependence on petroleum-based energy.

It certainly became very clear to us that fan guns are the real deal, as we were the first ski area to open in Vermont—with top-to-bottom skiing and a terrain park on day one—and we will be among the last to close. Fan guns are able to make more snow in varying weather and better snow all season. We received accolades from skiers and riders this year regarding the improved snow surfaces and expanded snowmaking terrain, and we saw a noticeable increase in skier visits. We believe that this year’s snowmaking expansion will help us continue this momentum and growth.

In addition to the snowmaking expansion, this year’s $1.4 million maintenance capital program includes improvements across the resort such as painting lifts, improving the locker room, and golf course improvements, confirming Peak Resorts’ commitment to maintaining Mount Snow on an annual basis.

Kelly Pawlak
General Manager

drjeff

I was going to try and hold off until Monday's press release to give Greg all the glory with his "official AZ press release" thread ;) I was giddy with joy when this was posted over on the Mount Snow passholders site this AM.

I can't wait now until the West Lake Project is done(hopefully for the start of the '09-'10 season), and Mount Snow basically double's their water supply and expands to 100% snowmaking. Wouldn't suprise me then if we're talking 4-500 fan guns burying the mountain! :snow:

kingslug

Don't know the name of the run but I was impressed with the coverage on it due to the lineup of these guns all the way down it. Pretty wide one too.
Competition for Hunter???????

mountainman

Hats off.

Hats off to Tim and Kelly for making Mt. Snow in becoming a leader in the industry in improving this resort. Mt. Snow is a gold mine and Peak resort are taking it to it's full potentional. ASC just milked the place and had know idea what to do with it other than milk it dry.
Eliah and Gator are providing some of the best terrain parks in the North East. Keep going folks.
Don't worry more pass holders will be on there way.
Skiingsnow your taking pics of the wrong mountain.
Fan guns have been the way to go for years they can produce when temps are right. The Low E guns are good for tax credit, but they still use air and not as produtive as a air less gun. Bannana belt resorts have been using this airless system for 10 - 15 years. They can produce alot of snow in a short peroid of time. Some fan guns can pump out 200 gpm. Thats using water.
Also posted in K-Zone.

vcunning

Don't know the name of the run but I was impressed with the coverage on it due to the lineup of these guns all the way down it. Pretty wide one too.
Competition for Hunter???????

Kingslug, I'm sure you were talking about Snowdance. It's the widest trail at Mount Snow. It's covered with Fan Guns with the low-e guns in between. The trails is an easy blue but has some great lines for cruising. The coverage with the fan guns this year has been out of site. Snowdance used to only be covered on 50% going down. Last weekend was the first bare patch I saw on the mountain. It's my wife's favorite trail.

kingslug

Kingslug, I'm sure you were talking about Snowdance. It's the widest trail at Mount Snow. It's covered with Fan Guns with the low-e guns in between. The trails is an easy blue but has some great lines for cruising. The coverage with the fan guns this year has been out of site. Snowdance used to only be covered on 50% going down. Last weekend was the first bare patch I saw on the mountain. It's my wife's favorite trail.

Thats the one.

drjeff

DrJeff called it out on the MS Passholder's forum . . . best guess is Lodge, not Ledge . . . which would make a bunch more sense.

It's been confirmed now on the MS passholders website. Fan guns being installed this summer on LODGE, not LEDGE. Just the 'ol flip of the keys while working typing the release up.

drjeff

So prob top of Ex/Lodge, middle Lodge to Lower Ex?

Yup, that's the plan the way that I heard it. Probably going to be Tower mounted fan guns on Middle Lodge, and likely ground/carriage fan guns on upper ex/lodge and lower ex because of the proximity of those trails to both the Grand Summit Express and The Summit local.

Vinny

I was going to try and hold off until Monday's press release to give Greg all the glory with his "official AZ press release" thread ;) I was giddy with joy when this was posted over on the Mount Snow passholders site this AM.

I can't wait now until the West Lake Project is done(hopefully for the start of the '09-'10 season), and Mount Snow basically double's their water supply and expands to 100% snowmaking. Wouldn't suprise me then if we're talking 4-500 fan guns burying the mountain! :snow:

What's the link to the passholder's site? Can't find it on the Snow website nor via Google.

vcunning

It's been confirmed now on the MS passholders website. Fan guns being installed this summer on LODGE, not LEDGE. Just the 'ol flip of the keys while working typing the release up.

Hey, maybe it's 350+ Fan Guns, not 250+? Just another typo?

drjeff

Hey, maybe it's 350+ Fan Guns, not 250+? Just another typo?

You know what can happen when those folks who have office's on the 3rd floor of Mount Snow's base lodge start typing when their excited! (Remember we still have to watch someone use the winch cat in about a month on a certain part of the mountain! ;) )

drjeff

Things will be good when they get their water.

Things will be good AND WHITE when they get their water! :)

Atleast with the warm temps of the last few weeks, all the snow around the proposed West Lake project site has melted and they'll be able start the needed study about that land and bears feeding habits in that area thus enabling the ACT 250 process to continue.