• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow, Vt 3/19/2014

Euler

Spent from 11-4 at Mount Snow with my kids. We expected conditions to be marginal, and they were. The day was cold and overcast, never getting above freezing, this, coming after Monday and Tuesdays warmer, sunnier temps led to some serious hard pack, boilerplate and ice. On a lark, I suggested we attempt to ski all the trails on the main face from left to right ...the kids took the bait and we set out with that as our goal...this plan turned the mediocre conditions into a really fun afternoon.

The trails that had been groomed skied great...wicked fast, hard but carvable corduroy. Trails that had been groomed a few days ago, and not groomed well at that point like over rook and shoot out we're the hardest to ski...lots of really hard boilerplate, patches of legit ice, led to some fear inspiring turns. Trails like upper ledge and yard sale that had never been groomed we're the best for me ...bumps we're a bit icy in the troughs but held soft edgable snow on the tops of the bumps...it was great practice for me in skiing bumps when they're not made of hero snow!

The only disappointment of the day was that patrol started sweeping and roping off trails at 3:30 so we missed out on skiing Hop and Uncles, ...I think other than those two and the traversing connected trails we did manage to hit every main face trail:

One more time, overbook, roller coaster, illusion, canyon, cascade-canyon, drifter-upper ledge-ledge, lodge, exhibition, ex-tramline-ego-yard sale (rotd) , south bowl, shoot out, ridge, cut-off, little john, long john.

It was a neat experience to never have to think about what trail to ski next, and to never have to decide if we would ski a trail based on conditions...I'm sure without our little game I would not have ventured onto hone bumps in those conditions.

Bluebird was not running all day and the summit express quad had its usual issues with sporadic stops and starts as it ran.

The trees will be ok for a few days when the snow softens, but coverage is looking thin in spots.

MommaBear

Thanks for this - was on the fence whether to ski Mount Snow or Killington tomorrow. Gear & bed are in Dover, but Killington has been calling me since the storm last week. Decision made. :smile:

Euler

No brainer, if you have a choice...conditions at Killington/pico are incomparable to those at mt snow right now. Go north!

MommaBear

...conditions at Killington/pico are incomparable to those at mt snow right now. Go north!

I did, Euler, and had an awesome, awesome day with my boys. My college guy has been skiing at Mount Snow all week - but he typically stays at Carinthia, so I take his reports with a grain of salt. But even he - I found out today - had ventured on to more of the mountain looking for favorable conditions. As I was oohing and ahhing over the conditions at Killington today, he told me I would appreciate the conditions (at Killington) even MORE if I had gone to Snow first - no comparison. He was glad I dragged him with me today. Awesome, awesome day.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Awesome is probably the least expressive of phrases! Glad you guys had a blast!
From my direct experience and reports, it looks like Killington and northward in the greens got the good - soft, pretty dry stuff, and lots of it!