• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Must Read Books

HD333

I was given a couple of CD's with over 1000 kindle formatted books on them.

What are some of the classics that every man should read? You name it I now have it, I just do not know where to start. I am thinking of starting off with Hemingway, any other must reads?

Geoff

Arthur Conan Doyle's complete set of Sherlock Holmes short stories plus Hound of the Baskervilles

Samuel Shellabarger's historical novels from the 1940's like Prince of Foxes and Captain from Castille

ctenidae

Twain's always a good start.
You could go a bit further afield, if you want- The Deerslayer is a good one, a bit different from what you think of as a "classic," if Cooper is your cup of tea.
Fahrenheit 451, Lord of the Flies, are both good.
"Down and Out in London and Paris" by George Orwell is pretty good (just finished it). Not at all 1984 or Animal Farm.

Edd

You could read As I Lay Dying by Faulkner, or bang your head against concrete. Equally enjoyable, I imagine.

jack97

This may not be labeled as a classic but imo it should be, Dune just first three. It has so many analogies to the present situation we are in.

snoseek

Walden-Thoreau along with his essay Civil disobedience is for sure a classic. Jack Kerouac was another author that wrote some pretty cool stuff, start with On The Road, a progressive piece at the time....think late 50's beatniks. I also think Cormac McCarthy will soon be considered classic, someday, The Border Trilogy is a great start for his stuff. Finally Steinbeck is so great, If you haven't read the Grapes of Wrath do so, one of my favorite stories ever.

snoseek

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold" With an opening line like that you know its gonna be a wild ride!

KevinF

War And Peace : Leo Tolstoy. I found this book to be fascinating when I had to read for a class back in school.
Lord of the Rings: Tolkien. Even if you have seen the movies, it's worth reading.
Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn: Mark Twain. Classic American

And I think that anybody interested in mountaineering, adventures, etc. should, at some point, read "Touching the Void". It is the only book I have ever read that I literally could not put down.

Sky

Hmmm...I "listened" to Wuthering Heights and loved it. The woman who did all the voices was amazing. Not sure reading it would be the same...if the "dialogue" is written as it would be at that time.

I struggled through Catcher in the Rye this past summer. A short book (200 pages?), but the dialogue, certainly legit for the time it was written, was tedious (to me). And the funny thing was, I'd read so much Steven King (Gunslinger series) that I kept waiting for something horrible to happen...struck by a bus or something. :>

Non-classics...Into Thin Air. Amazing.

King's Gunslinger series. So good I read Book 1 a second time (and got so much more out of it).

Currently STUGGLING through Team of Rivals...Lincoln and his cabinet, the basis for the recent "Lincoln" movie. Stuggling because the author is going into great detail, quotes from all aquaintences of all characters. I'm 200+ pages (of 1200) in and Lincoln hasn't been nominated for president yet.

Certainly re-learning about the No Nothing party. No politics please. :>

Enjoy whatever you pick. Must be tons of great options on the CD!

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Patrick O'Brian - Master and Commander series - anything of his really. Early 19th century Royal Navy action in a language late 20th and early 21st century people can understand. No offence to Mr. Clemens and Sir Doyle.

ctenidae

Patrick O'Brian - Master and Commander series - anything of his really. Early 19th century Royal Navy action in a language late 20th and early 21st century people can understand. No offence to Mr. Clemens and Sir Doyle.

I've made it through 3 of the 6 volumes, I guess 6-8 books so far. Has to be done in doses, because there's a lot there. Good, and well written, but extensive.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I've made it through 3 of the 6 volumes, I guess 6-8 books so far. Has to be done in doses, because there's a lot there. Good, and well written, but extensive.

There are (ready for this?) 20 completed Master and Commander novels plus one unfinished book published after O'Brian's death. I have read all of them - some twice.