• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My skis are worn out. Any reason I shouldn't get the same skis for next 5 years?

freeski

Rossi Strato 105. They're brown so you don't have to take your skis off "in the woods". Revolutionary wood laminate construction.

mishka

Go to some local ski shops with the expressed intent not to buy - but to discuss. Figure out what is it that you like about your present skis. Flex them - tip, center and tail and the compare to possible skis you might buy. You've got all summer. Take your time.

Demoing probably not necessary and really, unless you're prepared to buy immediately after demoing then why bother?

Buy a ski that flexes like the one's you've got but be prepared for them to be different anyway. Your present pair is worn out? Then new skis will be different no matter what you buy. You've been making micro adjustments on your old skis as they aged. You will similarly make adjustments to your new skis.

Enjoy the process.

this is nonsense… You must be joking

SkiFanE

1 - I can't take anyone's advice or written stats and specs. Not sure how they can translate to how you ski and what your body is shaped like.
2 - given #1 - unless you demo - it's all a crapshoot, no matter how much your BFF loves his/her skis.

So your options are to go with what you have. Or chill out, loosen your tie, buy something that seems pretty good at an awesome deal and stop obsessing. Then enjoy getting to try a new pair. Sometimes it's even better than what you have (gasp!). If not - well you bought cheap, lived on the edge a little, and can ditch them for a new pair (crapshoot #2) or go back to the old reliable.

cdskier

1 - I can't take anyone's advice or written stats and specs. Not sure how they can translate to how you ski and what your body is shaped like.
2 - given #1 - unless you demo - it's all a crapshoot, no matter how much your BFF loves his/her skis.

I'm a big fan of demoing, although I've found it sometimes difficult to demo the particular pair of skis you want under the conditions you want. That was a big reason the last pair of skis I actually bought without demoing. I did take advice on that pair from my cousin though who at the time was very familiar with my skiing style and knew what other skis I liked as well as listened to my feedback on the skis that I was able to demo. I did get a good deal on the skis during the summer though, so worst case the thought was if I didn't like them I could most likely sell them and get some of my money back.

From a stranger that doesn't know how I ski though, then it could be tough to take advice. This thread is a great example of how people like different skis. Tuna loves his Rossi skis...me on the other hand have never skied a pair of Rossis that I did like!

fbrissette

unless you demo - it's all a crapshoot,.

My past purchase without demo satisfaction rate is about 60%.

This.

Demoing is a pain in the butt. It's time consuming, it usually ends up costing money, you don't always have the perfect conditions, but you'll end up with skis you love.

You think you like your skis ? There may a magical fit out there that you don't even know exist. My first demo was an eye opener. Tested a dozen all-mountain skis all fitting in the same category. Some I absolutely hated, most were Ok, but a couple of pairs were perfect fit. Knew it after half a dozen turns. Then I zeroed in on the best length. Considering the number of hours I will spend on a pair of skis, taking time and money to choose well is definitely worth it.

cdskier

Demoing is a pain in the butt. It's time consuming, it usually ends up costing money, you don't always have the perfect conditions, but you'll end up with skis you love.

You think you like your skis ? There may a magical fit out there that you don't even know exist. My first demo was an eye opener. Tested a dozen all-mountain skis all fitting in the same category. Some I absolutely hated, most were Ok, but a couple of pairs were perfect fit. Knew it after half a dozen turns. Then I zeroed in on the best length. Considering the number of hours I will spend on a pair of skis, taking time and money to choose well is definitely worth it.

It would be nice if most mountains had a real "demo center" on mountain where they carry numerous brands and you can swap out skis over the course of the day. Sugarbush for example only has Volkl, K2, and Rossi for their on-mountain demos. It is actually a bit surprising they don't have Dynastar as well since Egan is such a big proponent of his Cham 107 skis...

I have no issues spending the money on demoing if I can demo the skis that I'm interested in. I like my current skis very much, but like you said there could be something better that I simply haven't tried.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It would be nice if most mountains had a real "demo center" on mountain where they carry numerous brands and you can swap out skis over the course of the day. Sugarbush for example only has Volkl, K2, and Rossi for their on-mountain demos. It is actually a bit surprising they don't have Dynastar as well since Egan is such a big proponent of his Cham 107 skis...

I have no issues spending the money on demoing if I can demo the skis that I'm interested in. I like my current skis very much, but like you said there could be something better that I simply haven't tried.

Stowe Toys is pretty good for all day Demo programs

http://www.stowe.com/ski-ride/equipment/stowe-toys-demo-centers/

JimG.

Staff member
I have been on my current skis for 3 seasons. I'm on my second pair and I have a new set in plastic. I love them.

I demoed them because Ramp was a new manufacturer and Hawkshot said I would like them. My approach was that I would not like them at all. More to prove rockered mid fats would suck on such an icy day.

I bought my first pair that afternoon. Demoing was obviously a big factor.

mishka

Obviously, Mishka wants to build you a pair of skis.

obviously your method of ski peaking is much more scientific.

taken from another thread
I will buy whatever is less than $200 so any unused front side carver from 2014 2016 will do.

to explain.... stiffness is only one parameter of many and means nothing alone. It's like comparing BMW and Saturn using only horsepower

prsboogie

I have been on my current skis for 3 seasons. I'm on my second pair and I have a new set in plastic. I love them.

I demoed them because Ramp was a new manufacturer and Hawkshot said I would like them. My approach was that I would not like them at all. More to prove rockered mid fats would suck on such an icy day.

I bought my first pair that afternoon. Demoing was obviously a big factor.

Which Ramp did you buy? My daughter's coach at Wawa had peacepipes and he loved them.

dlague

Since 2010 I've had Rossignol Phantom 80s at 185 length and these were a massive improvement over anything I'd skied before.

I have abused the heck out of these skis and it's a wonder they only have some top coat damage, worn edges (that's my bad), scrapes in the base and one small bubble in the base.

Pros:
- Stiff and rugged, high speeds don't phase them
- Maneuverable even at 185 dodging trees and taking on very steep technical terrain is a delight
- Bad-ass looks. They're all black and have a translucent bald Eagle which I'm in love with
- Raised back tip, camber, and a perfect front shovel. Like new skis are still trying to figure out this magic formula.
- They can take a beating
- Very very good in bumps either slipping through them or zipping through them
- Plow through chop very nicely as they have some dampness and weight to them

Cons:
- Suck on glare ice

So I'm thinking possibilities...
1. Atomic Vantage 90 Ti
2. Dynastar Powertrack 89 or 84
3. Get another pair of Rossignol Phantom 80s, same length, better bindings

Option #3 I could do for cheaper, although it's getting near impossible to find these now.

Why should I change skis when I find almost no faults in the one I've become adapted to and love?

Opinions welcome :)

I had the Phantom SC 87 skis and really enjoyed them. They did take a beating and loved speed.

SkiFanE

I'm a big fan of demoing, although I've found it sometimes difficult to demo the particular pair of skis you want under the conditions you want. That was a big reason the last pair of skis I actually bought without demoing. I did take advice on that pair from my cousin though who at the time was very familiar with my skiing style and knew what other skis I liked as well as listened to my feedback on the skis that I was able to demo. I did get a good deal on the skis during the summer though, so worst case the thought was if I didn't like them I could most likely sell them and get some of my money back.

From a stranger that doesn't know how I ski though, then it could be tough to take advice. This thread is a great example of how people like different skis. Tuna loves his Rossi skis...me on the other hand have never skied a pair of Rossis that I did like!
But I've only Demo'd once. I like to ski too much and hate the hassle. I pretty much toss on skis and figure them out. Plus getting SL skis, not much variability from one to next. I even used my teens head SL skis we bought used and she didn't really like. Next 2 pairs were used Rossi SLs I somehow bought used. This was after a couple pairs of all mountain cruisers when I switched to parabolics. That switch was when I made bad decisions (even after demo) because I rally didn't know what I needed. Was on SL sticks before, should have just stuck with them.

Maybe starting to ski in 1970 with woods and leather lace ups (hand me downs) and needing to keep up with fiends at all costs with shit gear made me able to ski anything put in front of me for rest of my life. I ski skis, not vice versa. So have never obsessed about geAr.

dlague

Maybe starting to ski in 1970 with woods and leather lace ups (hand me downs) and needing to keep up with fiends at all costs with shit gear made me able to ski anything put in front of me for rest of my life. I ski skis, not vice versa. So have never obsessed about geAr.

I get that POV. I uy gear based on what is affordable and available from the previous year. Never had N issue. If you lkke a ski there is nothing wrong with sticking with the new version of them.

That being said, i never denoed skis before until this year. There is something to be said for that too. I like what i tried and will hunt for a bargin of that model if possible. In yhe end i will take what i can get and will make the ski work for me.

Edd

But I've only Demo'd once. I like to ski too much and hate the hassle. I pretty much toss on skis and figure them out. Plus getting SL skis, not much variability from one to next. I even used my teens head SL skis we bought used and she didn't really like. Next 2 pairs were used Rossi SLs I somehow bought used. This was after a couple pairs of all mountain cruisers when I switched to parabolics. That switch was when I made bad decisions (even after demo) because I rally didn't know what I needed. Was on SL sticks before, should have just stuck with them.

As Mishka is saying, there are many variables that go into how ski performs and feels; that's a simple truth. As a serious skier, I think you do yourself a disservice to have only demoed once in the 46 years you've been skiing. It sounds contradictory to say you like to ski so much that you don't feel like carefully choosing the best ski for you. Sunday River is one of the easier places to demo conveniently.

fbrissette

Maybe starting to ski in 1970 with woods and leather lace ups (hand me downs) and needing to keep up with fiends at all costs with shit gear made me able to ski anything put in front of me for rest of my life.

Any skier with good technique can make anything work. But it's really, and I mean really sweet when you find planks that are really in tune with you. You're unlikely to recognize this if you don't demo.