• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My skis are worn out. Any reason I shouldn't get the same skis for next 5 years?

cdskier

Any skier with good technique can make anything work. But it's really, and I mean really sweet when you find planks that are really in tune with you. You're unlikely to recognize this if you don't demo.

I agree. When I first demo'd skis I was amazed at how different some of the skis performed and reacted (even within the same category and with similar profiles). Sure I could ski any of the skis I tried, but being able to zero in on the ones that really impressed is the whole point and makes a big difference in the long run.

SkiFanE

I agree. When I first demo'd skis I was amazed at how different some of the skis performed and reacted (even within the same category and with similar profiles). Sure I could ski any of the skis I tried, but being able to zero in on the ones that really impressed is the whole point and makes a big difference in the long run.
I would spend 100% of my time in bumps and woods. So that's what I need a ski for yet usually demo days at my mountain are thanksgiving. And when a pow or great bump day does come around - last thing I'm doing is demo'ing stuff. Maybe if a guy would show up at base of lift and let me swap out every other run, I'd do it. But where i'd have to go at my home mountain to demo (learning area) would ruin my day having to demo. Skis I've put 100 days on for last 2 seasons I did not demo. Went for deal and brand, rolled the dice and love them. But honestly, every pair of SL skis I love, so I don't obsess much. Sure my current volkls are different then my heads or rossi's, but all 3 made me happy. i want to ski. So demo'ing is not a fun thing for me like others find it. I guess if I was able to ski whenever I wanted I'd find it more enjoyable. But instead it's a weekend, dying to get on slopes...jonesing all week at work...demo?! No effing way! Luckily I don't have big regrets not doing so n

jrmagic

I have been on my current skis for 3 seasons. I'm on my second pair and I have a new set in plastic. I love them.

I demoed them because Ramp was a new manufacturer and Hawkshot said I would like them. My approach was that I would not like them at all. More to prove rockered mid fats would suck on such an icy day.

I bought my first pair that afternoon. Demoing was obviously a big factor.

Ramp came to Magic the season before last and I must say I did like their offerings. It didn't hurt that The owner of Ramp's daughter joined us. She's a strong skier, very nice oh and smoking hot too:D

fbrissette

I would spend 100% of my time in bumps and woods. So that's what I need a ski for yet usually demo days at my mountain are thanksgiving. And when a pow or great bump day does come around - last thing I'm doing is demo'ing stuff. Maybe if a guy would show up at base of lift and let me swap out every other run, I'd do it. But where i'd have to go at my home mountain to demo (learning area) would ruin my day having to demo. Skis I've put 100 days on for last 2 seasons I did not demo. Went for deal and brand, rolled the dice and love them. But honestly, every pair of SL skis I love, so I don't obsess much. Sure my current volkls are different then my heads or rossi's, but all 3 made me happy. i want to ski. So demo'ing is not a fun thing for me like others find it. I guess if I was able to ski whenever I wanted I'd find it more enjoyable. But instead it's a weekend, dying to get on slopes...jonesing all week at work...demo?! No effing way! Luckily I don't have big regrets not doing so n

You don't want to do it on a demo day. You want to deal with a skishop right on the hill which carries enough different brands. You want to take a day off mid-week (no traffic in the shop) with reasonable conditions (obviously, nobody wants to demo on a pow day). The skishop should dictate your choice of hill, but ideally, pick smaller than larger. For most skis, you won't need 2000' vertical to figure it out.

dlague

As Mishka is saying, there are many variables that go into how ski performs and feels; that's a simple truth. As a serious skier, I think you do yourself a disservice to have only demoed once in the 46 years you've been skiing. It sounds contradictory to say you like to ski so much that you don't feel like carefully choosing the best ski for you. Sunday River is one of the easier places to demo conveniently.

Well there is only so much time to demo and only certian days for demo days orherwise you may have to pay for it. How do you know if you have demoed the the best ski for you? Or do you pick the best one you have demoed and go with that? That approach may make you forgo skis that are really better for you because they were not demoed. Such a dilemma!

cdskier

(obviously, nobody wants to demo on a pow day)

This is true...and yet the only ski I could see myself possibly wanting at the moment would be specifically a pow one! :smile: That sure makes it difficult!

Completely agree with your advice about not doing it on a demo day though and using an on-hill shop instead. That's where one of my earlier complaints comes in about some mountains not having good enough demo shops on the hill. Sugarbush is guilty of this with only 3 brands in their shop to demo.

Edd

Well there is only so much time to demo and only certian days for demo days orherwise you may have to pay for it. How do you know if you have demoed the the best ski for you? Or do you pick the best one you have demoed and go with that? That approach may make you forgo skis that are really better for you because they were not demoed. Such a dilemma!

Not being a weekend skier I almost never do tent demo days, although I have caught a couple. Those are the cheapest with the best selections, usually. The most common scenario I've experienced is $50 for a day of demos, being able to swap out skis as you like. The $50 comes off the purchase price if you experience ski nirvana and must buy today.

Someone committed to buying the best ski for them should research well beforehand and be prepared to demo more than one day at one hill. As mentioned earlier, it's worth a few extra bucks to avoid buyer's remorse. YMMV.

fbrissette

This is true...and yet the only ski I could see myself possibly wanting at the moment would be specifically a pow one! :smile: That sure makes it difficult!

It's impossible to demo a 'pure' pow ski. Even out West, everything rapidly turns to tracked crud. For tracked crud, I've found that demoing a mid-fat tip rockered ski (95-110 at the waist) in soft bumps is a good substitute.

I've come to the conclusion that true pow skis (fat >110mm fully rockered skis) are not that good unless you heli-ski or ski-doo ski. They're awesome in untracked powder. However, untracked powder does not last long in resort, and they are not that good in crud. For true backcountry skiing, pure pow skis are too wide, too heavy (especially with skins) and traverse poorly.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I lucked out demoing a set of Gotamas during Nemo at Sugarloaf. There was untracked to be found pretty much all day due to low traffic from out of state road closures.

I didn't end up buying the Gotamas, but grabbed a pair of Nordica Vagabonds the following summer, which had almost the exact same dimensions and construction.

I agree that a > 110 ski isn't really necessary; especially on the EC. 105-110 range is perfect for a EC powder ski IMO.

cdskier

It's impossible to demo a 'pure' pow ski. Even out West, everything rapidly turns to tracked crud. For tracked crud, I've found that demoing a mid-fat tip rockered ski (95-110 at the waist) in soft bumps is a good substitute.

I agree that a > 110 ski isn't really necessary; especially on the EC. 105-110 range is perfect for a EC powder ski IMO.

Yea...105-110 would be pretty much what would be my personal definition of a pow ski that I'd want (but no plans to even think about it this year). I definitely don't see a need especially on the east coast for anything wider than that.

mishka

. How do you know if you have demoed the the best ski for you? Or do you pick the best one you have demoed and go with that? That approach may make you forgo skis that are really better for you because they were not demoed. Such a dilemma!

to find the right ski is a process and may or may not take one demo day. If you take time and start demo just about anything don't listen to anybody and be open-minded. Eventually you will find THE ONE....trust me you will know. look at it like marriage how did you knew she is the one?

It's only two ways to get SOULMATE SKIS.
1) find it by demo
2) have made specifically FOR YOU

I stopped looking at about 15 before moving to second option

mishka

how do you decide what to have made?

we go ski together. I'll give you a whole bunch of skis to try. by end of the day YOU'LL know how THE ONE feels like afterwards I complete design. Look at it like going to the tailor to get a suit
in other words only you know/feel "the one" skis for you. You don't need to know anything about ski making and/or ski design. You go ski tell me what you feel and I'll make it happen.
Same goes when I design skis for myself. first skis I made is aaammm ....."like a box of chocolates...you never know what you gonna get" lol skis/designs which follows I knew exactly what I am getting

benski

we go ski together. I'll give you a whole bunch of skis to try. by end of the day YOU'LL know how THE ONE feels like afterwards I complete design. Look at it like going to the tailor to get a suit
in other words only you know/feel "the one" skis for you. You don't need to know anything about ski making and/or ski design. You go ski tell me what you feel and I'll make it happen.
Same goes when I design skis for myself. first skis I made is aaammm ....."like a box of chocolates...you never know what you gonna get" lol skis/designs which follows I knew exactly what I am getting

How do you do a better job than ski manufactures?

dlague

strangely I always have same question

better question would be to ask ski manufacturers.....how come Mad Russian can make better skis?

Well I have skied a couple of mishka's skis and tbey do ski well. Very light! I did demo a pair of Icelantic Nomad and they reminded me of MR Skis mostly becuase the sound is similar and they were both light. Even the response was similar. So I did demo two sets of skis now that I think about it.

JimG.

Staff member
Yea...105-110 would be pretty much what would be my personal definition of a pow ski that I'd want (but no plans to even think about it this year). I definitely don't see a need especially on the east coast for anything wider than that.

Exactly my thinking.

JimG.

Staff member
Well I have skied a couple of mishka's skis and tbey do ski well. Very light! I did demo a pair of Icelantic Nomad and they reminded me of MR Skis mostly becuase the sound is similar and they were both light. Even the response was similar. So I did demo two sets of skis now that I think about it.

Ramps also very light; a great feature of using bamboo.