• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need backpack recommend....

trekker22

I'm gearing up during the off season for some major AT stretches next Spring. I'm looking at a High Sierra internal frame pack. Any experiences/opinions on their gear? Other recommendations if money were no object? If I were on a budget? Thx.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Are any of these overnight or single day treks?

I think I bought some sort of a black diamond backpack last year .. trying to find the name of it - it's not a frame pack but it does have straps for carrying skis (not necessary if you are on AT bindings I suppose, unless you have to hike to the snow). It's compact but nice and durable. I'll see if i can find out the exact model #.

wtcobb

I'm a big fan of Osprey packs. Very durable, well-made packs with a lot of versatility for use. Plus they come with a lifetime guarantee for all manufactured parts, meaning if anything breaks for any reason at any time they'll replace it for free.

I have the Viper 13 for summer day hikes/bikes/skiing and the Kestrel 58 for colder/overnight hikes.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Osprey are good as well. I like them. But Black Diamond are specific for ski touring. I have the Outlaw AvaLung model.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
If you are planning on skiing any where that will require booting, I have three woods for you regarding your pack: Cross ski carry. Otherwise, get whatever you want that has enough volume for all your stuff.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If you are planning on skiing any where that will require booting, I have three woods for you regarding your pack: Cross ski carry. Otherwise, get whatever you want that has enough volume for all your stuff.

That's what is nice with the Black Diamond packs--they have the cross ski carry capability.

vdk03

I'm gearing up during the off season for some major AT stretches next Spring. I'm looking at a High Sierra internal frame pack. Any experiences/opinions on their gear? Other recommendations if money were no object? If I were on a budget? Thx.

AT as in Appalachian Trail right? It has been a few years since I bought a new pack, but I think it kind of depends on your build and preference. I do like the Ospreys but they tend to be pretty pricey. I purchased 'The Works' made by Mystery Ranch quite a few years ago and have been very happy with it. It has been extremely durable and fits me great (I'm 6'2'' and about 200lbs).

thetrailboss

Staff member
AT as in Appalachian Trail right? It has been a few years since I bought a new pack, but I think it kind of depends on your build and preference. I do like the Ospreys but they tend to be pretty pricey. I purchased 'The Works' made by Mystery Ranch quite a few years ago and have been very happy with it. It has been extremely durable and fits me great (I'm 6'2'' and about 200lbs).

Um, yeah I've got skiing on the brain too! :lol: Sorry about that.

Black Diamond does make some good internal packs, but I agree with Osprey. But hell, the best thing to do, especially with a trip this big, is to go to a store, keep an open mind, and try on some packs and go with the one that fits the best and has the features that you're going to use. It's kind of like sleeping bags and boots...go and try them on.