• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Member Introductions Thread

C2H5OH

new avatar

got myself a new avatar, representing ethanol molecule, picture found on wikipedia

wa-loaf

Howdy

Hi, New to the boards after lurking for a bit. My name is Jens (pr. yence) 38 years old and a graphic designer. I grew up in Maine and consider Sugarloaf my home mountain even though I don't get up that often. I moved to Leominster last year (05) and have adopted Wachusett and I'm racing in the night league this year.

Nice to meet you all.

wa-loaf

East German in my case. My dad is from a part of Germany that is Poland now.

wa-loaf

Breslau (now Wroclaw) part of Lower Silesia. Yup my dad was born in 1930 and was teen when WWII ended. He and his mother escaped soviet occupation to Munich and then on to NY. He's got some good stories about stealing food from russians and fishing with hand grenades.

BeanoNYC

Wow imagine being 15 years old and your hometown is no longer in the same country??? So he went from East Germany (Poland), to Bavaria, to NY to Maine. What a life. Welcome...don't be a stranger, we're a good group here.

walkerd2

Hi There!

I've been a lurker at this site for a while, but am happy to become a productive member of the forum (I hope)

walkerd2

Hiker first, Snowboarder 2nd

Really I just like being in the mountains, and pretty much enjoy anything that goes along with it

CorduroyKatie

I have been using AZ to get through these very long weeks which have been way too warm for my family...Finally have got around to posting. The AZ forum is fantastic - only thing is I would love to see more women participating! As a 40 year old mom I have so far skied the Swiss Alps the French Pyrennees, Le Massif and Mont St Anne, along with Stowe, Stratton,Okemo, Killington as a "vacation" skier. Thanks to very accomplished skiing friends who introduced us to Berkshire East I am now skiing every weekend with the whole family. We have clocked in 13 days on the snow this year so far! I am now getting lots of help with my technique in hopes of keeping up with a 10 year old just starting out on the Race Team. I can't say enough about how much we love Berkshire East. It has made my whole family absolutely passionate about skiing. It is hands down our favorite place to ski!

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome CorduroyKatie! Sounds like you're a pretty serious skier... You should fit right in here! There are some woman around, I think they tend to get scared off or something though. Maybe if you hang around they'll come back. ;)

I've only skied BEast once, unfortunately with marginal conditions. I'd love to get back there sometime soon though, hopefully with more snow and more open terrain!

adamti91

Hey. I'm Adam and I'm an alcoholi....wait a minute... I'm Adam and I'm a snowboarder... That's it. Not really that new here but I never made a formal post. Home mountain is Belleayre in the Catskills. I used to go to camp in the Adirondacks up until last year so I know the area pretty well, by canoe and hiking. This is my 70th post already, jeez!

Evmo

Hi.

I just joined this group today. I work for a new company called liftopia (www.liftopia.com) that is trying to help ski resorts and skiers by allowing for online sales of discount lift tickets, and the ability to allow resorts to adjust price points up and down in response to weather, snow, and other demand related issues.

I grew up skiing the northeast, went to college in ME (colby), and now live in San Francisco, but ski on the east a couple times each season. I have been skiing for about 20 years, love skiing everywhere, whether it be Tucks or Squaw, and love the dedication to skiing that east coast skiers have, regardless of ehem, snow.

Have fun out there, here is to some more snow!

E

CjS

Website
www.cj-stout.com
Howdy all. Found these forums a couple weeks ago when i was looking for a good snow community. Cool place, a lot of local people from what i can tell which is very cool :beer:

A little bit about myself:
Been living in the NW Hills since i was wee lad and ive always been about the outdoors. Fishing, Camping and the likes. I work doing phone sales even though i have a degree in Multimedia Web Authoring. Go figure lol. Ive only been riding for one season (dabbled a little in high school) which was last season, so im still new. But anyways, just thought id introduce myself, look forward to posting around here.

-Cj

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome again CjS. There's bunch of us that try to make regular meet-ups at Sundown on Wednesday nights. Stop by and join us one time. You'll find threads posted in the Trips and Events Forum when someone will be there...

east coast ripper

hey everybody, my name is scott, i have been skimming over posts on this site since october when i found it. finally decided to join so i could throw in my 2 cents from time to time. a little background info: 27yrs old, live in massena and work for general motors. mountain i would call home is whiteface, even though it is an hour and a half away from me. since tupper closed, its the next logical choice as titus just doesnt have much to offer for people who aren't beginners. been skiing since i was 8yrs old. took a little break of only skiing a couple times a season while i was going through the snowmobile phase. that died a couple yrs ago when we just dont get the snow to warrant paying for those machines imo. anyway, been back skiing full time(3 days a week) for about 2 seasons now. took a little time to get the legs back into shape, but its like riding a bike.... it comes back. i would consider myself a very strong advanced skier. i dont like to use the term expert as that is a strong word, and there is no clear cut definition of what a expert is. i like to ski challenging trails, and have been all over vermont and NH. but make the most trips to whiteface. can pretty much ski any kind of trail with confidence. wilderness at whiteface is a challenge for me when it is in top mogul shape. i would say mogul runs in general are the toughest for me, as many of you would probably agree. i can ski alot of them fairly well, but when i get on one with huge moguls and steep pitch like wilderness, i can get thrown out of my line easier than i would like. never been out west, but have a trip planned to jackson hole in the beginning of march. looking very forward to that, and can't wait to see the crazy terrain out there. anyway, just wanted to say hi and get a post under my belt

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome east coast ripper. Thanks for the thorough introduction! Sounds like you should fit in good around here.