• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New ski recommendations--allowing my '92 Dynastars to retire gracefully

Hi there:

First-time poster here hoping for a bit of help in purchasing a new pair of skis/bindings/boots.

It is with great regret that I am retiring my circa-1992 200cm Dynastars, original boots, and several-times repaired bindings. The reason I’ve been holding on to them for so long is 1) I’m cheap, 2) I’m trying to convince myself that I can still whip those long suckers in & out of turns like I used to two decades ago, and 3) I kind of like when people get on a lift with me, point to my beat-up skis, and say “Retro!”

So I’m in the market for an all-mountain shaped ski with an integrated binding. I have a total of $800 budgeted, and would probably be inclined to pay more for the boots than the skis.

I’m a 42YO make, 5’9”, 170 lbs., and comfortable on black diamond runs (but by no means an expert). I will be skiing almost exclusively in New England, and prefer long cruisers or some of the old-school switchback trails at the top of Cannon & Wildcat. I hit the bumps occasionally when it’s spring and they’re soft, and would probably make a few more glade runs if I felt I had better skis underneath me.

I don’t exactly need this year’s model, and would appreciate any specific or general recommendations. I’ll likely be shopping close to where I live, which means the North Shore of MA and southern NH.

Thanks!

Tim

kingslug

I like my Dynastar Sultan 85's..damn things can do almost anything...I found them online slightly used for $460.00...

57stevey

I like my Dynastar Sultan 85's..damn things can do almost anything...I found them online slightly used for $460.00...

There are so many varieties of skis now! If you can't hit a demo day, I would say to focus on the boots first and pick up something used (cheap) around 170-178, 75-80mm waist, 16-18m radius and no metal - something that won't kill you hooking up as you make the transition. Don't go brand new on current skis until you have tried some different shapes and know what you're looking for.

Having said that, I bought my '09 Afterburners (similat to Sultan 85) brand new for $369 this past spring, so there will be deals coming up in a couple of months. 170cm would do everything you stated.

Last edited:

puckoach

Plus one on the Sultan !!! Love them.

But, the demo post is the way to go. I tried four others, returning to the Sultan each time.

I used Pete at Rogers In Lincoln. I'm no relation to him, or the store. Just a good guy that has helped me and the family.

They will deduct demo cost from ski price.

mlctvt

Plus one on the Sultan !!! Love them.

But, the demo post is the way to go. I tried four others, returning to the Sultan each time.

I used Pete at Rogers In Lincoln. I'm no relation to him, or the store. Just a good guy that has helped me and the family.

They will deduct demo cost from ski price.

Plus 2 on the Sultan 85s. I also demoed many skis but kept going back to these. I didn't want to stop the demo. I think I demoed them for 1.5-2 hours since the demo tent had many pairs of these. Got last years model online for $540 with the integrated bindings. According to the Dynastar rep this years and last years models are the same except for the topsheet/graphics.

bigbog

Ditto on getting the boots first, then you can go with whatever will match the happenning conditions and give you the most enjoyable time on the hill thru the rest of the season. As always...best to demo first.
$.01

Last edited: