• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

North & South Hancock

wtcobb

Date Hiked: 8/4/12

Trails Hiked: Hancock Notch Trail, Cedar Brook Trail, Hancock Loop Trail

Total Distance: 9.8 miles

Difficulty: Moderate

Conditions: Sunny, hot

Special Required Equipment: Trekking poles, strong calves

Trip Report:

The Hancocks, like many of the peaks off the Kanc, require a lengthy traverse to get to the mountain before you actually start climbing. At one point I did question, “Where is the mountain?” Most of the time I simply enjoyed the idyllic surroundings at the southern point of the Pemigewasset Wilderness.

One of many rushing streams you pass on the traverse out to the Hancocks.

The Hancock Notch trailhead is located at the first hairpin turn on the Kancamagus Highway and is very well-marked. You’ll actually be parking across the street at a viewing area ($3/day) and have to run across the road to make it to the trail. From the road it’s 1.8 miles along the Hancock Notch Trail, a path that parallels one of the many tributaries of the Pemi. The river has many small creeks that you’ll cross over which provide a peaceful bubbling throughout the length of the trail.

Everything Zen

Maybe it was because I was hiking solo, or maybe it was truly the beauty of this trail, but I found myself captivated by the serenity of this section of the Whites.

River trout in the stream on Cedar Brook Trail.

After 1.8 miles turn left on Cedar Brook Trail. All trails along this route are exceptionally well-marked. You’ll continue on Cedar Brook Trail for 0.7 miles, crisscrossing the stream and working your way up some small waterfalls, to the Hancock Loop Trail (once again, impeccably marked).

No questions about where to go.

After 1.1 miles on the Hancock Loop Trail, you’re faced with a decision: North or South? From the split of the two peaks it’s 0.5 miles to South, 0.7 to North. I opted for the former and began the relentless half-mile ascent up to South Peak, climbing about 1,000 feet in that short distance. Compounding matters, the trail turned to to loose shale and gravel making for quite slippery footing on such a steep incline. Finally I made it to the wooded summit and ventured down a dozen yards to the outlook:

The view from the outlook at the summit of South Hancock.

Yours truly at the summit of South Hancock.

Resting briefly on South Peak after the brutal ascent, I soon continued on the Hancock Loop to North Peak. The 1.4 mile trail between the two summits was actually a nice, albeit completely forested, traverse. Except for a brief patch a thick and deep mud, I again was struck by the beauty of the wilderness.

A hollowed-out tree on the ridge between South and North Hancock.

The main summit of North peak is wooded as well, but just past the signs is a massive outcropping with large boulders giving way to some spectacular views. On this clear day I could see the Scar Ridge directly across the Kanc, the Osceolas to my left, and barely make out the tree-stripped lines of Loon off to my right.

The decidedly more dramatic view from North Hancock summit. The Osceolas stand at the left with Loon far off to the right.

After enjoying lunch and some meditation on the outcropping, I began the descent down North Peak. Again the loose shale made the footing difficult, but the descent was much more manageable than the ascent of South. I will say that I recommend my route – I saw many others climbing North peak first and, while possibly not as steep, I’d gladly trade the rigorous climb for the climactic view on North to end my day at the top.

Angus

Hiked this on Memorial Day and went up N. Hancock first and thought I preferred this route better than I would have going up South. I thought North's ascent was steeper. Hiked North Twin last weekend - it was not particularly steep but the 3 water crossings were interesting.

wtcobb

Hiked North Twin last weekend - it was not particularly steep but the 3 water crossings were interesting.

Nice, I'm hoping to do a Twins-Bonds traverse before the end of summer and camp out at Guyot. Did you (or have you) gone past to South as well?

Angus

Did you (or have you) gone past to South as well?

Climbed South from Galehead Lodge previously on a day-hike of Pemi Loop. IMO what would be cool is a traverse starting at N.Twin trailhead over to Guyot and then the Bonds and exiting via Wilderness Trail to Cedar Brook and Hancock Notch. Of course, logistics stink. the area north of the Hancock loop intersection looks to be seldom hiked...