• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Olympics - GS vs Downhill

gmcunni

anyone know why the women's GS competitors had to ski the course "cold" with no practice while the women's downhill had at least 3 practice runs?

while i love to ski i am not much of a spectator/fan of the professions. I don't know if this is common or not but seems weird to me that they'd get no practice runs.

drjeff

Yup. Downhill is the only discipline in Alpine racing with training runs before the race.

All other disciplines just have a low speed, non continuous skiing inspection of the course (or courses if it's a 2 run event) prior to the race run.

Makes it a mental challenge as well as a physical challenge to both remember the course as well as try and figure out race lines and how much speed you'll have in the course

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Yup. Downhill is the only discipline in Alpine racing with training runs before the race.

All other disciplines just have a low speed, non continuous skiing inspection of the course (or courses if it's a 2 run event) prior to the race run.

Makes it a mental challenge as well as a physical challenge to both remember the course as well as try and figure out race lines and how much speed you'll have in the course

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Exactly. In a nutshell, the only reason downhill gets training runs is because if they didn't it would be flat out dangerous with the way these courses are set up nowadays with the jumps and blind corners.

x10003q

Exactly. In a nutshell, the only reason downhill gets training runs is because if they didn't it would be flat out dangerous with the way these courses are set up nowadays with the jumps and blind corners.

The super g has no practice either, only inspection - which is why it is such a crazy race. With downhill practice you can get a handle on how fast you can go, lines and air time. Super g is downhill speeds and good luck with your guesses.

Scruffy

Right. It's a safety issue. And, by FIS rules, for the downhill, there are three training days set aside and each racer must complete at least one timed training run before the race.

Jully

The super g has no practice either, only inspection - which is why it is such a crazy race. With downhill practice you can get a handle on how fast you can go, lines and air time. Super g is downhill speeds and good luck with your guesses.

Super G is absolutely my favorite due to this haha. The one in the Olympics this year for men was nuts. First 2 crashed.

Jcb890

Even though I'm a snowboarder, I enjoy the alpine skiing events very much. Its awesome stuff to watch.

drjeff

Super G is the shit.... Love it...

I used to love watching Super G more..... Now my kids are racing that event :eek: :eek: :eek: Gives a very different perspective when you listen to Bode Miller's great commentary with his own personal experiences, and then thinking (as I am right now) that both my kids will be racing Super G this Saturday (weather permitting)!!!

Pretty sure that next season, when my oldest hits the age group where she'll be finally able to race downhill, that that will 100% be a race where my wife says to me "you're going, not me!!" to that race!! LOL!

It's awesome to watch on TV, especially as someone who used to race it many years ago! It's quite anxiety inducing though to watch your kids race it from the bottom of a race course!! :)

Glenn

I get a little anxious watching the races on TV. I guess when you participate in the sport, you know how devastating a fall can be...especially at speed.

bdfreetuna

Always been a downhill over Super G guy myself.

The downhill courses usually involve some serious air time so I think it's fair to give some practice runs. It's not as if it creates any unfair advantage, but probably a lot less serious injuries and major wipe outs.