• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

boston_e

Sounds nice doesn’t it
I bet you were a good little rule follower your whole life.
I know I can’t claim that virtuosity
I had a fake ID to buy beer as a kid. Creatively worked my way into many situations. That’s a given. Not recognizing that is foolish.
So because some underage people will have a fake ID, should there be no drinking age?
Since some people will speed, get a radar detector and not get caught should there be no speed limit?

deadheadskier

Staff member
People’s differences have nothing to do with the color of their skin In my mind. It speaks to your life experiences and the things you have been raised to believe.

Not sure what your definition of 2nd class citizen is but that’s not mine. I thought it was clear, I respect their concerns because we have seen them abused for 400 years. “Here take this blanket infected with chicken pox it will keep you warm” “let’s go to Tuskegee it’s a nice place and they will take care of you”. Do you think that those experiences should not be respected?
“of course it’s for your and the countries best interest we wouldn’t lie to you” I would run like hell of I heard that.

A certain amount of healthy skepticism is to be expected. But when they don't show the same skepticism of a Stella Immanuel, Mike Lindell or some other YouTube crackpot, that's an even bigger problem.

Andrew B.

A little strange that you aren't bothered by it, but yet you continue to challenge the notion of it including what my personal experience was like.
I think it's pretty well established that the rusty dildo comment was in fact hyperbole and Kusty isn't actually calling for physical violence. People who are pro vax are simply tired of the situation and those who still deny the evidence that the more people who get the vaccine, the better off we all are.
I never questioned your experience other than to examine that it was more complete than mine. I am glad they did more complete review of the documents than my experience. It might have made me feel better if they had done a better job in my experience. I felt no difference at the shows I went to shows that they didn’t check cards.

No doubt the more vax’d the better but I am against telling people what the must do with their bodies at point of a knife.

now if KK had a more reasonable tone to his post and said simply “more vax = better life” instead of his attitude of violence he would not have gotten much attention from me. I bet he wonders why more people don’t see it his way.

Andrew B.

A certain amount of healthy skepticism is to be expected. But when they don't show the same skepticism of a Stella Immanuel, Mike Lindell or some other YouTube crackpot, that's an even bigger problem.
There are angry crack pots on both sides of the issue as far as I can tell especially after today’s discussion.

Andrew B.

People up and driving cars since the 1920s and drunk driving laws weren’t really enacted or at least enforced until the 1970s. Covid has been around for a year and a half it will take some time for people to understand the importance of this issue as well

mbedle

I gotta say that I agree with Kusty and DH. Barring the people that can't get the vaccine, I have very little compassion for people that are suffering with Covid 19 and chose not to get vaccinated. Part of that is because their actions are currently and most likely this winter, will affect my life, my fellow vaccinated American's lives, and the people that can't get vaccinated. What I find incredibly odd is the absolute disconnect between what a true patriot is and certain people today that call themselves patriots. It's odd to me that caring about only oneself and not your fellow Americans is now considered patriotism. It's odd to me that an absolute distrust of our government is now considered patriotism. It's odd to me and downright sad to see 1,000s of people attack our country and have them scream from the top of their lungs that they are in fact true patriots. Doing what is right for the good of all people in this country is patriotism. Caring about your fellow American as much as you care about your self, is true patriotism. Doing what is necessary to end or curtail this pandemic is patriotism. The term patriotism appears to have been highjacked and redefined to mean I care about my country and all Americans "like me", as long as I am not told what to do by the government nor my perceived freedoms curtailed. The government has been mandating vaccines since the days of George Washington. If you are going to tell me that George Washington is not a true patriot, you really need to re-evaluate your made-up definition of a patriot. I am blessed that my parents were true patriots and lined us up as kids to get vaccinated for polio and small poxs, which ultimately resulted in the eradication of those diseases. True patriots understand that our government is necessary, the foundation of our country and comprised of millions of Americans that care about everyone in this country. The government is not some mysterious group of people that's only purpose is to tell Americans what to do and infringe on American's rights to freedom.

drjeff

You’ve used “conform” in a couple of posts today which feels disingenuous to me. Replace it with “pitch in for the common good” and I can get behind it.
I think then that especially amongst the vaccinated, that we all can pitch in for the common good and realize that unless you're say over 80 with MULTIPLE co-morbidities, that you can certainly live your life pretty normally right now, even if you do come across someone who isn't vaccinated. Or else one is asking those who may not have the saem viewpoint as themselves, to confrom to their view of things

Smellytele

I gotta say that I agree with Kusty and DH. Barring the people that can't get the vaccine, I have very little compassion for people that are suffering with Covid 19 and chose not to get vaccinated. Part of that is because their actions are currently and most likely this winter, will affect my life, my fellow vaccinated American's lives, and the people that can't get vaccinated. What I find incredibly odd is the absolute disconnect between what a true patriot is and certain people today that call themselves patriots. It's odd to me that caring about only oneself and not your fellow Americans is now considered patriotism. It's odd to me that an absolute distrust of our government is now considered patriotism. It's odd to me and downright sad to see 1,000s of people attack our country and have them scream from the top of their lungs that they are in fact true patriots. Doing what is right for the good of all people in this country is patriotism. Caring about your fellow American as much as you care about your self, is true patriotism. Doing what is necessary to end or curtail this pandemic is patriotism. The term patriotism appears to have been highjacked and redefined to mean I care about my country and all Americans "like me", as long as I am not told what to do by the government nor my perceived freedoms curtailed. The government has been mandating vaccines since the days of George Washington. If you are going to tell me that George Washington is not a true patriot, you really need to re-evaluate your made-up definition of a patriot. I am blessed that my parents were true patriots and lined us up as kids to get vaccinated for polio and small poxs, which ultimately resulted in the eradication of those diseases. True patriots understand that our government is necessary, the foundation of our country and comprised of millions of Americans that care about everyone in this country. The government is not some mysterious group of people that's only purpose is to tell Americans what to do and infringe on American's rights to freedom.
Well people who totally distrusted the British government were called patriots…

abc

In my opinion, one of the problem some of you are so upset about isn’t the antivaxxers. It’s the government trying so hard to protect the antivaxxers from their own stupidity! Well heck, they don’t want that “protection”! Never did, never will! They see it as their “right” to be stupid. And they’re right. We should let them be. And let Darwin work its magic!

I’d say open the f*k up, everything! No capacity restrictions. I can see the following few things will happen

1) a small percentage of vaccinated people will get a mild case of Covid. I knew of 2 people who did. Like getting a bad cold. They both completely recovered in 2-3 days. No biggie

2) a much larger number of unvaccinated people will get Covid. Some badly enough to need to be in ICU. But once they recovered, they’re then immune. So the more of them got infected, the faster we reach herd immunity.

3) A tiny fraction of people will die from Covid, most of them unvaccinated. We can handle that. Just like we can handle road death from auto accidents.

Specifically of the black and brown people who are very distrustful of the government? They’ll have to take their chances between a government they distrust and a disease they know nothing about. Right now, it’s understandable they choose the unknown disease over the known government which had mistreated them in the past. But I’ll bet they’ll feel very differently if their family member or close friends got sick from Covid!

We’re not in the same situation like last March any more. We know how to handle Covid. Yes, unpleasant and expensive. But we’re much better prepared than last spring. Hospital will not be overwhelmed. The impact to society from the stupidity of the antivaxxers are far less this time around.

I personally felt the antivaxxers might have been the problem 3 months ago. But they‘re no longer ”the problem” any more. Now, the problem is we’re bending over backwards to catering to their safety at our expense. It’s time to stop doing that! Let them take their chances with Covid,

drjeff

In my opinion, one of the problem some of you are so upset about isn’t the antivaxxers. It’s the government trying so hard to protect the antivaxxers from their own stupidity! Well heck, they don’t want that “protection”! Never did, never will! They see it as their “right” to be stupid. And they’re right. We should let them be. And let Darwin work its magic!

I’d say open the f*k up, everything! No capacity restrictions. I can see the following few things will happen

1) a small percentage of vaccinated people will get a mild case of Covid. I knew of 2 people who did. Like getting a bad cold. They both completely recovered in 2-3 days. No biggie

2) a much larger number of unvaccinated people will get Covid. Some badly enough to need to be in ICU. But once they recovered, they’re then immune. So the more of them got infected, the faster we reach herd immunity.

3) A tiny fraction of people will die from Covid, most of them unvaccinated. We can handle that. Just like we can handle road death from auto accidents.

Specifically of the black and brown people who are very distrustful of the government? They’ll have to take their chances between a government they distrust and a disease they know nothing about. Right now, it’s understandable they choose the unknown disease over the known government which had mistreated them in the past. But I’ll bet they’ll feel very differently if their family member or close friends got sick from Covid!

We’re not in the same situation like last March any more. We know how to handle Covid. Yes, unpleasant and expensive. But we’re much better prepared than last spring. Hospital will not be overwhelmed. The impact to society from the stupidity of the antivaxxers are far less this time around.

I personally felt the antivaxxers might have been the problem 3 months ago. But they‘re no longer ”the problem” any more. Now, the problem is we’re bending over backwards to catering to their safety at our expense. It’s time to stop doing that! Let them take their chances with Covid,
Agree 100%

What many bemoaning the anti-vaxxers don't seem to understand, is that in a public health setting, there is often a difference between society having 100% access to something (the vaccine short of a very small number of specific medically reasoned people) and the often Utopianesque fantasy of 100% utilization of that public health option.

The simple fact is that regardless of how much time, efforts, and $$ is spent trying to get to 100% utilization, short of a military style dictatorship, it's not going to happen.

For those practically obsessing about this, you've done your part, the simple fact is that your very, very, very, very likely to be safe if you contract a breakthrough case or come in contact with a vaccinated person, and one could certainly make the point that you may actually be doing more mental harm to yourself worrying about those who don't want to get vaccinated.

You've done your part, now start living your life again, and as you start to go about things in a more normal fashion, every day you'll see how much better you feel and how the folks that don't want to get vaccinated actually don't affect your life (in spite of how some of our elected officials and media pundits want you to believe they do)

I just wonder if some who are so staunchly in the "everyone must get vaxxed" rule following mentality are just as staunchly behind say not ducking a rope on a powder day that patrol still has up for rule following - afterall both situations are about our safety...

Andrew B.

I just wonder if some who are so staunchly in the "everyone must get vaxxed" rule following mentality are just as staunchly behind say not ducking a rope on a powder day that patrol still has up for rule following - afterall both situations are about our safety...
KK probably calls patrol when he sees such “piece of shit” behavior.

trackbiker

I agree with what you said. But here's the problem; the hospitals have to treat these idiots and they are over run with patients in the ICU's and other people with non Covid conditions are not getting the attention and treatment that they deserve. I would 100% agree if the hospitals prioritized the vaccinated over the nonvaccers and put them in hallways when a vaccinated person needed an ICU bed for a non Covid or Covid condition.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My biggest issue with the anti-vax crowd are that they value their "personal freedom ideology" over a choice that has such obvious public health benefits. My second biggest issue is many of them try and convince others to make that same choice and it ends up killing people. Been a number of very vocal conservative radio and TV personalities, church leaders etc., pushing misinformation on the vaccine. How many of their listeners have gotten very sick or died? What they are doing is practically manslaughter.

Heaven forbid the next time one of these viruses comes around it isn't one that kills 600k+ children instead of "mainly just old people or those who are sick and not destined for a long life anyway."

If that happens, will you freedom fighters still feel the same way?

Status
Not open for further replies.