• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

abc

I would rather eat at home...the service is usually....better.
Don't even get me started on that one... the non-existent "service" a wait staff is providing that adds 20% on the bill.

I don't care if my food comes out of a brown paper bag, or on a tray on top of a roving robot with wheels, it taste the same.

Hawk

They ask for the info, but all you have to do (AFAIK in most places) is simply check that you are either moderately immunocompromised or severely immunocompromised. In other words, lie. Now, normally I would say that's disgracefully reprehensible behaviour, but as I mentioned before, not in the current climate we exist in where the vendors are swimming in unused COVID19 vaccine.

I just checked my local Rite Aid & every date on the calendar is wide open for COVID19 appointments (see screenshot #1 below) Keep in mind, they only schedule 1 appointment per 10 minutes, so to have 60 open slots in a day, just two days from now is quite a thing to behold! Appointments start at 9:30am, so that is basically the entire day (see screenshot #2 below). All wide open. What it is is an empirical view into what we already know & has been discussed at length in this thread, that everyone who wants to be vaccinated is already vaccinated. These vaccine vials are just rotting on the shelf at this point. So, to each his/her own in terms of what they choose to do, but I'm getting a booster, and I dont feel the least bit guilty about it given the mathematical reality of the situation. Screw the FDA & their "CYA first" behaviour.
I have a question that I have not seen on here or anywhere else. Is the Booster shot the exact same dose/strength as the other two shots or does it differ in some way? That is the only thing that would stop me from working the system to get my 3rd shot via alternative methods and before they say I can do it.

cdskier

Take out at any place that isn’t a take out place( pizza, subs, salad) sucks. Food is luke warm at best. Having to warm up pizza or fries is fine. Having to warm up a steak or any meat is just plain awful.

Agreed...there is some food that is simply not designed for take out unless you happen to live right next door to the restaurant. And even then if it is a multi-course meal, something is going to be cold by the time you get to eating that entree/course.

boston_e

On the subject of food - one thing for sure that changed last year is that there was a lot more "tailgating" than previous years. I wonder how many will continue doing that more often than pre-pandemic not wanting to pay base lodge prices for food and beverage?

Hawk

I love resturaunts. I love the atmosphere, the customs, the presentation, the people, the hardworking wait staff and chefs. In come cases the music. There is a time and a place for takeout but in most cases it just does not measure up. Not to any person that truely understands what maks food exceptional. Going back into resturaunts was probably the single greatest motivator to getting vaccinated......well maybe that's an exageration. ;-) My wife and I did takeout from our favortie resturaunts for months and gave 20-25% tips to support them because we did not want them to fail. They mean that much too our community and we know most of the people that work in these places. But the timing to the table and the pace of the meal is most certainly one of the most important things to have the food come out right. You will never get it perfect if you place the order and show to pick it up.

dblskifanatic

Take out at any place that isn’t a take out place( pizza, subs, salad) sucks. Food is luke warm at best. Having to warm up pizza or fries is fine. Having to warm up a steak or any meat is just plain awful.

I agree! When there were no dine-in restaurants, we would go pick up food then throw it back in the oven to reheat it, Then we started tailgating. There were to go adult bevs and the food was eaten immediately - all you needed were a few sports chairs, Was like camping outside of the eatery! As soon as they opened back up we were all over that!

BenedictGomez

I have a question that I have not seen on here or anywhere else. Is the Booster shot the exact same dose/strength as the other two shots or does it differ in some way? That is the only thing that would stop me from working the system to get my 3rd shot via alternative methods and before they say I can do it.

Regardless of which vaccine you get, JNJ, MRNA, or PFE, the shot dosage & makeup of the booster is precisely the same as the dosage & makeup of the first shot(s).

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wonder what most people's reaction will be to the booster. Moderna #2 knocked me down pretty good, but only for about 18 hours

2Planker

Ahh...ok...so you're legitimately telling them you're there for a 3rd shot. You're just claiming you're eligible under the immunocompromised guideline that allows a 3rd shot to people in that group. In that case, yes, I can see how they wouldn't try to verify that (or even really have a way to verify that).

I wonder what most people's reaction will be to the booster. Moderna #2 knocked me down pretty good, but only for about 18 hours
Way less reports of people being laid up after the boosters.

chuckstah

Regardless of which vaccine you get, JNJ, MRNA, or PFE, the shot dosage & makeup of the booster is precisely the same as the dosage & makeup of the first shot(s).
As of now the booster dose of Pfizer is scheduled to be full dose, but the Moderna bootSer dose is a half dose.

Mum skier

I love resturaunts. I love the atmosphere, the customs, the presentation, the people, the hardworking wait staff and chefs. In come cases the music. There is a time and a place for takeout but in most cases it just does not measure up. Not to any person that truely understands what maks food exceptional. Going back into resturaunts was probably the single greatest motivator to getting vaccinated......well maybe that's an exageration. ;-) My wife and I did takeout from our favortie resturaunts for months and gave 20-25% tips to support them because we did not want them to fail. They mean that much too our community and we know most of the people that work in these places. But the timing to the table and the pace of the meal is most certainly one of the most important things to have the food come out right. You will never get it perfect if you place the order and show to pick it up.
And in a restaurant you don’t have to do your own washing up! That’s the bit worth tipping for.

Smellytele

As of now the booster dose of Pfizer is scheduled to be full dose, but the Moderna bootSer dose is a half dose.
I believe Moderna's initial shots were stronger than the Pfizer ones.

boston_e

Vail comes out with proof of vaccination required to access indoor dining. I doubt that will be permanent but is certainly a change in the post lockdown winter. Will be interesting to see how many other resorts follow their lead.

abc

waiters and waitresses do hard physically demanding work and put up with a lot of assholes.
It maybe hard work they're doing, but much of it unnecessary!

I can order without having someone hovering over me. I can mark on a piece of paper what item I want. Some countries do that routinely. If you can't imagine it, you haven't been around enough.

In many restaurants, the only functionality the wait staff do is to bring the food from the kitchen out to you. As I suggested earlier, it can be done by a robot or conveyer belt, which I've seen being used in a few Japanese countries.

Yes, if you're doing multiple courses, you want your courses come out at the right time. But keep in mind many appetizer are not made to order. They do sit around and got handed out when someone orders it. So do most desserts.

Even your dirty dishes aren't always taken away by the waiter/waitress. Some restaurants hire Mexican bus boys to cart them away.

if you aren't happy to tip appropriately then don't eat out.
I'm of the opinion being "served" at restaurants are more a holdover from another era. It doesn't serve much real functionality. Only one step above having someone holding the car door open...

I enjoy good food. But I don't care for making others my servant for a couple hours. And then pretend to be gracious "tipping appropriately". ;)

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Well I stand corrected, and am genuinely shocked as I have never seen anything like that considered before without copious amount of data to back it up. You do not just whilly-nilly change your dose & ask for FDA approval. I do not believe that's going to go over well at all with the FDA, as you'd now be overlaying unprecedented **** on top of unprecedented **** by doing that.

And the article says the motivation is to "free up" more doses? Ummm...... maybe that's truly 100% for the benefit of mankind, and I bet it is, but unless they're donating 100% of the proceeds of the extra 50% of shots that will generate, there will be people who question whether there's a financial motivation behind it.

mister moose

I can order without having someone hovering over me. I can mark on a piece of paper what item I want. Some countries do that routinely. If you can't imagine it, you haven't been around enough.

In many restaurants, the only functionality the wait staff do is to bring the food from the kitchen out to you. As I suggested earlier, it can be done by a robot or conveyer belt,

Things a conveyor belt can't do:

Refill your water glass
Tell you which desserts are made in house
Explain ingredients - does the taco have Cilantro?
fix a problem with your food - too rare, burnt, missing cheese.

Many better restaurants have runners that bring out food so it is served at its peak.

I agree the technology exists to order from your cell phone, request something mid meal, and pay the bill, all from a tablet or phone

deadheadskier

Staff member

In many restaurants, the only functionality the wait staff do is to bring the food from the kitchen out to you. As I suggested earlier, it can be done by a robot or conveyer belt, which I've seen being used in a few Japanese countries.

Yes, if you're doing multiple courses, you want your courses come out at the right time. But keep in mind many appetizer are not made to order. They do sit around and got handed out when someone orders it. So do most desserts.

Even your dirty dishes aren't always taken away by the waiter/waitress. Some restaurants hire Mexican bus boys to cart them away.

I'm of the opinion being "served" at restaurants are more a holdover from another era. It doesn't serve much real functionality. Only one step above having someone holding the car door open...

I enjoy good food. But I don't care for making others my servant for a couple hours. And then pretend to be gracious "tipping appropriately". ;)

You clearly haven't worked at even an Applebee's, nevermind a fine dining restaurant.

I would say sticking to takeout is a wise choice for you given the information you believe above.

Just clueless and quite frankly, massively disrespectful to those who work in the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.