• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk

So back on the Ski industry track for a minute. I am headed over to the Sugarbush Community day meeting at 10:30. I assume we will be hearing from John Hammond on what this year will be like here at Sugarbush. I will report back with anything note worthy.

tnt1234

The medical consensus are changing too. How quickly do we forget what it’s like 18 months ago when Covid is completely unknown and a potential death sentence? We now have 2 drugs for treatment and a substantially lower breakthrough infection rate for those vaccinated. Not to mention a milder disease even for those infected (or even unvaccinated children).

The “good” of the booster shot is far less obvious than the first one. The “red tape” is a reflection of disagreement within the medical community.

Israeli study indicates booster restores 95% protection against infection, so seems pretty obvious that it helps.

The booster is approved for many people - over 65, certain conditions, and certain workers. My state allows you to ascertain your job risk and make the determination yourself. The nature of my work requires lots of indoor, close contact with lots of people in the course of the week. Not as many people as a front line cashier, but more sustained contact, like 45-60 minutes at a clip.

I am not worried about hospitalization or death, but I am worried about getting covid and shutting down my business for 2 weeks, and potentially spreading it to other employees and clients, as well as spreading it to our parents - all vaccinated, but not boosted as of yet.

When I asked my doctor about it she said (this was prior to FDA decision) "We expect the FDA to approve it for all, so until then we can't recommend it to you. But I do know pharmacies already are giving it no questions asked. I can't recommend you get it until we hear CDC guidance, but that is what I know."

abc

Thank you for your hard hitting analysis abc.

You do you and what you feel is best for your family and risk factors. I'll do what I feel is best for mine.
Totally!

I was first in the queue for my first shot. The benefit of the first vaccination is huge.

But now I plan to wait till most people got theirs before I bother with the booster. By which I mean to wait for more data between those with and without booster. No sense putting more “stuff” into my body for small benefit in protection against a disease that I'm most likely to recover on my own. The risk is probably no more than my getting hit by an out of control skier this winter! OK, there's no vaccine for the latter. :(

P.S,
Though come to think of it, my Mom who used to work in hospital before she retired did get a few more vaccination on diseases I've never heard of. So clearly the increased exposure was taken into account. Makes sense.

Last edited:

snoseek

Things are going bonkers in gorham and Berlin nh according to the news.

Hawk

The Sugarbush yearly update was short and to the point this year. As we all here know there was not a lot planned for upgrades this year. The big news was about the new Vermont adaptive sports building and upgrades to the Mt Ellen lodge. I stopped by and this looks pretty cool. they expanded the right side of the building to incorporate the space. Highlights are new bathrooms on all three levels, en elevator for access to all floors, a new huge deck on the back and modifications and upgrades to the rest of the lodge. For the rest of the mountain: They did a bunch of maintanence, restored the gadd brook by removing the culvert and exposing the brook, bought a new groomer and excavator, bought more guns, dug out the Mt Ellen snowmaking pond for more capacity, put new snowmaking pipes on Northstar I think, maybe is was cruiser. One of those that takes all the traffic back down to Northridge chair.

Lastly they did not mention the rules this season for Covid safety. It sounded like the lodges will still be somewhat restricted as they talked about keeping the online ordering and pick up. They did not mention crowd levels in the lodge for warming and hanging out. They did not mention the lift lines. But in an off the record conversation I had with a couple of people, it sounded like they were going to ease or not enforce masks in line, get rid of the empty coral lines inbetween and the singles line might be back. So somewhat back to normal outside and maybe a little easing with the indoor policies. I think it is still a wait and see how the infection levels are come November and what the state publishes for guildlines. It sounded positive.

2Planker

In NJ they are being very lax with the requirements. Basically if you think your job puts you at risk you can get a booster.
Pfizer Yes, Moderna NO.
Thankful that our complex got Pfizer in Jan.
Boosters for all started 9/27 week

BenedictGomez

When I asked my doctor about it she said (this was prior to FDA decision) "We expect the FDA to approve it for all, so until then we can't recommend it to you. But I do know pharmacies already are giving it no questions asked. I can't recommend you get it until we hear CDC guidance, but that is what I know."

Great doctor, I like her; she's telling you she thinks it's a good idea to get it without legally being able to tell you to get it.

drjeff

October 20 FDA decision for MRNA, October 21 FDA decision for JNJ.

I'll be shocked if they're not both "yes".
Since from the mRNA perspective, Moderna had a bunch more "horsepower" than Pfizer had, while I fully expect a booster of Moderna to be recommended, if by some reason it isn't, as a Moderna double jab recipient, with my 2nd jab being in late January, I will trust the science...

Since it seems like if one is honest and objective about the science, eventually we're all going to get COVID.. And if you're vaccinated, or don't have numerous co-morbities, or are of certain age demographics, your risk of serious complications is incredibly low. If you have numerous co-morbities, or are in certain MUCH OLDER, age demographics, you will have a higher, but still WAY, WAY, WAY less than 50% chance of having significant complications from COVID

machski

Lots of covid cases. Mayor of Berlin is thinking of implementing mask requirements
And that far North in NH is very independant and conservative. Betting the region is also the lowest vaxed in state. Berlin also doesn't have many ICU beds, so that could be a concern up there too. I know the two most norhern Maine counties have also been dealing with a large covid surge as of late. Seems the northern crowns have surged later than the balance of both states in the last several surge bouts.

deadheadskier

Staff member
5 "ICU" beds to be exact. You catch the vid bad there, you are almost for certain being transferred to Dartmouth or CMMC

BenedictGomez

Lots of covid cases. Mayor of Berlin is thinking of implementing mask requirements

Just learned tonight that a high school here in western Jersey's going remote tomorrow because they had 30 confirmed COVID cases Friday and rumor on the street is it's up to 125 affected today, though I'm assuming that includes close contact kids who arent actually infected.

kingslug

This brings me back to these monster events happening all over the country. Can they be sustained or are they causing outbreaks. But..life goes on..we have reached the point that the economy cannot be stalled again.

Status
Not open for further replies.