• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

KustyTheKlown

another false equivalency.

a classroom with 25 unvaccinated kids in close proximity for 7 hours a day 5 days a week is not the same thing as a stadium full of vaccinated adults for 3 hours 1 day, especially an outdoor one.

drjeff

Just learned tonight that a high school here in western Jersey's going remote tomorrow because they had 30 confirmed COVID cases Friday and rumor on the street is it's up to 125 affected today, though I'm assuming that includes close contact kids who arent actually infected.

My kids highschool, roughly 1600 total student population, has switched their potential exposure protocols from (for the vaccinated) mandatory test within 3 days, to now "only if symptoms develop is testing needed" - and my son had 2 potential contacts that my wife and I were notiied of withing the last 2 weeks, since we were seeing both my parents and my in-laws a few days after each potential exposure, we had him tested twice, with 2 negative results. The unvaccinated have to do the 10 days quarrantine with a negative test

And in among his friends that he has known at school that have tested positive, short of some mild flu like symptoms for a day or 2, no big deal.

Most (over 80% is the number the school has referenced) of the student population in my kids school are either fully vaccinated or have their 1st dose of Pfizer.

In one form or another, I suspect that many a school administrator hopes that those who haven't been vaccinated get COVID so that they'll get their antibodies that way and the school day to day activities will get back to normal that much sooner.

It is interesting to see than many Northern European countries, where the kids were basically in school for almost the entire pandemic, and the majority of the time without any mask wearing, have faired very well, and certainly no worse than our response in the US has been about schools, and one may argue that down the road, having the kids in person for that much more time may actually have been the better way for the kids, to handle this

boston_e

My kids highschool, roughly 1600 total student population, has switched their potential exposure protocols from (for the vaccinated) mandatory test within 3 days, to now "only if symptoms develop is testing needed" - and my son had 2 potential contacts that my wife and I were notiied of withing the last 2 weeks, since we were seeing both my parents and my in-laws a few days after each potential exposure, we had him tested twice, with 2 negative results. The unvaccinated have to do the 10 days quarrantine with a negative test

And in among his friends that he has known at school that have tested positive, short of some mild flu like symptoms for a day or 2, no big deal.

Most (over 80% is the number the school has referenced) of the student population in my kids school are either fully vaccinated or have their 1st dose of Pfizer.

In one form or another, I suspect that many a school administrator hopes that those who haven't been vaccinated get COVID so that they'll get their antibodies that way and the school day to day activities will get back to normal that much sooner.

It is interesting to see than many Northern European countries, where the kids were basically in school for almost the entire pandemic, and the majority of the time without any mask wearing, have faired very well, and certainly no worse than our response in the US has been about schools, and one may argue that down the road, having the kids in person for that much more time may actually have been the better way for the kids, to handle this
My sons high school is what you describe. For the vaccinated with an exposure you watch for symptoms. At his school they added the Covid vaccine to the list of required immunizations. So far we have not been notified of a contact and their "covid dashboard" has shown 2 cases so far this year.

My sons middle school is similar: vaccinated with exposure just watch for symptoms and unvaccinated have a "test and stay" option if they want - they can do a rapid test every morning at the nurses office and as long as they continue to test negative they can stay in school.

drjeff

another false equivalency.

a classroom with 25 unvaccinated kids in close proximity for 7 hours a day 5 days a week is not the same thing as a stadium full of vaccinated adults for 3 hours 1 day, especially an outdoor one.

If you're talking an elementary or the younger grades of a middle school, then that applies. If you're talking a highschool or older half of a middle school (age 12 and up) then you generally have a significant vaccination rate.

You really can't make a "1 size fits all" statement about schools right now, as there are plenty of varaibles with ages and vaccination percentages

drjeff

My sons high school is what you describe. For the vaccinated with an exposure you watch for symptoms. At his school they added the Covid vaccine to the list of required immunizations. So far we have not been notified of a contact and their "covid dashboard" has shown 2 cases so far this year.

My sons middle school is similar: vaccinated with exposure just watch for symptoms and unvaccinated have a "test and stay" option if they want - they can do a rapid test every morning at the nurses office and as long as they continue to test negative they can stay in school.

Yup, it seems like the majority of schools have adopted a "do whatever it takes to keep as many students in school (safely) as many days as possible", and atleast among my 2 highschoolers, they both have the attitude of "I will do whatever I need to to be IN school every day", and that seems to be the sentiment around basically all of the school aged kids who I see in my practice

KustyTheKlown

If you're talking an elementary or the younger grades of a middle school, then that applies. If you're talking a highschool or older half of a middle school (age 12 and up) then you generally have a significant vaccination rate.

You really can't make a "1 size fits all" statement about schools right now, as there are plenty of varaibles with ages and vaccination percentages

yea, thats what i meant. 12+ kids can be vaccinated and i would hope the rate is very high in the northeast. they also move about all day with different teachers and groups of kids. but kids <12 are typically in one room with one teacher all day and arent vaccinated. my main point is there's no comparison vs a large event fully attended by adults for a few hours, most of whom are fully vaxxed

drjeff

A couple of observations from this past weekend up in the Mount Snow area

1) If not totally sold out, the majority of hotels that were open were very close to sold out

2) The majority of restaurants were quite busy

3) Oktoberfest at Mount Snow had a solid crowd (what I heard is that they capped attendance at 3000 people and that it sold out) And the wedding party who went up the Bluebird to take pictures I presume, got a HUGE ovation from the crowd when they returned back to the base area to head over to the Grand Summit Hotel for their reception!

4) While Vail Resorts had signs on all doors to enter any building stating that people had to wear masks while inside and not eating (most people were following that request) there wasn't any rigid enforcement of that policy at this time

5) There are some people, who aren't getting past the fear of COVID anytime soon. Saw numerous couples out either just on a walk, or walking their dog(s) on the roads of my condo complex, with nobody else around, and even if/when you encounter another group, our paved areas are atleast 2 lanes if not 3 lanes of asphlat wide so it's easy to keep one's distance, wearing masks, for that activity. Not sure what their personal health situation is? Will say that there were a plethora of New York plates in the parking areas of our complex this weekend

6) The majority of people seem to be functioning if not 100% back to "normal" than over 90%.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

people here in nyc definitely still wear masks just walking around the street. not everyone, but its common and no one raises an eyebrow. i carry one in my back pocket and put it on in retail businesses and grocery stores and the lobby and elevator at work.

abc

Yes, I saw quite a lot of people walking around town with mask on. At first I thought that's pointless. Outdoor mask wearing is not terribly beneficial after all. But then, I found myself going in and out of stores that require mask. Instead of taking my mask off after exiting each door, only to put them back on 30 seconds later, I just left it on. This is from someone who really dislike wearing masks! I now think some of those people who're wearing mask outdoors may just be too lazy to take them off after their last indoor foray.

jimmywilson69

there has been some "chatter" of the insurance companies requiring the vaccine or they won't cover COVID related health care. Not sure how that all shakes out with the ACA though. Can't say I've seen this reported heavily with the major news players. I'm sure in FL and TX as well as many other places this would be challenged legally.

KustyTheKlown

we did go to a wedding in Westchester County over the weekend and 3 of our friends who we were sat with kept their masks on when indoors and not eating. one of them is a new mother with a 6 month old at home, and the other couple the husband has some autoimmune disease. so i get it. but they were the only 3 masked folks at the wedding.

kbroderick

Yes, I saw quite a lot of people walking around town with mask on. At first I thought that's pointless. Outdoor mask wearing is not terribly beneficial after all. But then, I found myself going in and out of stores that require mask. Instead of taking my mask off after exiting each door, only to put them back on 30 seconds later, I just left it on. This is from someone who really dislike wearing masks! I now think some of those people who're wearing mask outdoors may just be too lazy to take them off after their last indoor foray.
Speaking as someone whose wife has given him crap for leaving one on, if I have either the stroller or the dog in my hands and expect to have reason to put a mask on in the near future, I'll leave the mask on. Less so now that we're pretty clear that outdoor transmission seems negligible, but when we were treating close passes on the sidewalk as a potential issue, I'd leave it on most of the time walking the dog, as he's pretty good at requiring most of my attention when approaching other people.

Edd

I’ve done that walking downtown where I live if there’s a few stops to make. Just easier. Very few masks around here at this point though.

When I was up in Maine around Bar Harbor a few weeks ago the masks were much more prevalent. Made sense because of the tourism but felt weird all over again.

BenedictGomez

there has been some "chatter" of the insurance companies requiring the vaccine or they won't cover COVID related health care. Not sure how that all shakes out with the ACA though.

I think that's an entirely reasonable policy so long as there arent any unintended readthroughs that I'm not considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.