• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Post your favorite Led Zeppelin album...

Philpug

Before Waynes World came out some music stores did have signs like that. I remember one store had a sign," No Stairway to Heaven, Smoke On the Water, or Eddie Van Halen Licks".

But Freebird was OK? :???:

Beetlenut

I still have all the vinyl albums, but they're not playable because I wore the grooves off of them!

I'll say it again, IMHO the most underappreciated part of Zep was Bonhams drumming. He made that band.

Yep, My two favorite drummers were Bonham and Moon. For me "The Who" were as influential as Zep.

danny p

Jack Bruce, the bassist and lead singer of Cream, had some harsh words about Led Zeppelin following news of a possible reunion.

In an interview with Classic Rock Magazine, Bruce had this to say about Led Zeppelin, "Everybody talks about Led Zeppelin, and they played one f*cking gig – one f*cking lame gig – while Cream did weeks of gigs; proper gigs, not just a lame gig like Zeppelin did, with all the [vocal] keys lowered and everything. We played everything in the original keys. [Becoming animated]: F*ck off, Zeppelin, you’re crap. You’ve always been crap and you’ll never be anything else. The worst thing is that people believe the crap that they’re sold. Cream is 10 times the band that Led Zeppelin is."

He later added, "What? You’re gonna compare Eric Clapton with that f*cking Jimmy Page? Would you really compare that?"

Harsh words considering the original question was about Cream possibly reuniting again like they did in 2005. On the plus side, he said they probably will. You can check out the full interview here.

Bruce later recanted his statements (well, sort of) on 94.7 WCSX, a Detroit radio station, saying, "I was just having some fun with the press gallery really… being fairly tongue in cheek. The thing about Zeppelin is obviously it's a little bit of jealousy on my part, or more than a little bit because the audience was created by Cream and Jimi Hendrix… this sort of very large audience… then Zeppelin came along and had a very easy ride in that way. We were the pioneers and pioneers don’t always get the recognition they deserve. On the other hand, let’s face it: Jimmy Page ain’t no Eric Clapton… no matter what anybody thinks." He adds, "The only decent guy… the one good guy in that band is dead… so what are you gonna do? The trouble is if you say anything about the establishment… In Britain you mustn’t criticise the Queen or Led Zeppelin." The full interview can be heard here.

I really don’t know what to make of this story. I mean, what do you say when a rock legend bashes other rock legends? All I can honestly think about right now is how awesome a bare-knuckle fight between Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page would be. Be honest, you’d pay to watch that.

Report by David Lowe-Bianco.

POSTED: 11/06/2008 - 10:15 am

i read this a couple days ago, thought it would get some interesting responses in this thread...

Mildcat

But Freebird was OK? :???:

It's more of hacks who think they can play because their friends showed them those licks.They go into the store, grab a guitar and hack away. That can get very annoying for the employees of the store. I would imagine Freebird didn't get hacked a lot because most of the guitar gapers wouldn't be playing with a slide. :lol:

madskier6

they re-united for "one gig" a little while ago...i forget for what..perhaps Live Aid? I'm sure someone here knows.

The "gig" he's talking about was last December (2007) when Led Zep played with Jason Bonham on drums for the Ahmet Ehrtegun (founder of Atlantic Records) Memorial in London. It was the first Led Zep live gig since Live Aid in 1985.

The reviews from the show were great because the band actually practiced hard & were well prepared for the show. At Live Aid & other previous shows they didn't really rehearse so the performances were kind of lame. Last year they kicked ass.

Jack Bruce is talking about the Cream reunion gigs/mini-tour they did in the last couple of years & comparing it to Zep's one gig last December.

Moe Ghoul

As a guitarist this is akin to offering booze to an alkie -- Pick one ,RU serious --PULEEEZE???

i am TOTALLY unable to zero in on JUST one man -- i luv 'm ALL. what riffs to TRY to emulate !!

This group is THE seminal kik ass , take no friggin prisoners , in yer face band of RnR bros :D

+1, picking one is impossible. Kashmir still ranks as one of my fave songs to bang my head and stomp my feet, that's why I like to crank it up on the nano on my first lift ride up for 1st trax. Just a great composition and tapestry of sound in that song.

danny p

The "gig" he's talking about was last December (2007) when Led Zep played with Jason Bonham on drums for the Ahmet Ehrtegun (founder of Atlantic Records) Memorial in London. It was the first Led Zep live gig since Live Aid in 1985.

The reviews from the show were great because the band actually practiced hard & were well prepared for the show. At Live Aid & other previous shows they didn't really rehearse so the performances were kind of lame. Last year they kicked ass.

Jack Bruce is talking about the Cream reunion gigs/mini-tour they did in the last couple of years & comparing it to Zep's one gig last December.

thanks for the clarification

Dark Side of the Moon is the only one I know of..I always confuse Pink Floyd with Led Zeppelin..lol..old school music to me is from the 90s..not the 70s..

Beetlenut

Don't be Hating...are any of the members of Led Zeppelin still alive?

Who's Hating? I'm stating!! From a recent new clip,

"Ten months after rocking a London crowd with their first show in nearly two decades, Led Zeppelin are itching to do it all over again with a tour and new album, bassist John Paul Jones confirmed on British radio this week.

Here's the kicker: Robert Plant will not be involved but instead, replaced by a new frontman.

"We are trying out a couple of singers," Jones said on BBC Radio. "It's sounding great and we want to get on and get out there."

Jones, guitarist Jimmy Page and drummer Jason Bonham -- the son of original member John Bonham who died in 1980 -- are reportedly all on board with the comeback. But it is Plant who has categorically shot down a full-scale reunion, and last month issued a statement clarifying his stance.

"Contrary to a spate of recent reports, Robert Plant will not be touring or recording with Led Zeppelin," he said.

Jones said that he and Page aren't looking for another Plant, and that the aim isn't to be their "own tribute band."

SkiDork

from what I heard, the Plant isue was not him, it was some sort of other contractual obligations with a tour he's involved with..

Robert Plant did that song with P. Diddy..it's all coming back to me now..I think Led Zeppelin is better than AC/DC

gorgonzola

the new Robert Plant/allison kraus stuff is really good but certainly not zeppelin in any way shape or form - i read somewhere he was offered some rediculous sum of money - like a hundred milllion or something to re unite and turned it down...

ctenidae

I'm going to say "In Through the Out Door" since A) no one else has said it, 2) It's the last full-LZ album Third, Bonham died shortly after, last, it was the last one to top the charts in the US, and finally, I'm Gonna Crawl is a good song.