• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

#$%$%^$ "Q" Bukre....what do I do?

DPhelan

is this the ceo?
19670.jpg

canobie#1

The people aren't backing down on this. Many complaints about it on their facebook wall. It sucks that they are ruining jay and burke. I am fine with a nice hotel a couple amenities but this is getting ridiculous.

stomachdoc

Marketing Class

Seems like good fodder for a marketing class in business school. Companies do change names all the time, particularly when they want to get away from negative thoughts about a brand name (Tyco, Enron, etc.). The vast majority of folks who've heard of and skied at Burke are fond of the place, and aren't likely to be scared away by the multiple owners over the years, etc. There's no reason to call it QBurke; and that's not a warm and cuddly "ski name."

Can't figure out the Kingdom Trails thing; I would venture that Kingdom Trails brings way more folks into the NEK than does the mountain, er, QBurke Mountain Resort. Lots of my buddies from Waterville Valley head up to Mountain Bike at Burke in the summer, but when they leave Waterville Valley to ski elsewhere in the winter, it's Cannon or Jay, etc.

Hopefully this CEO has advisors around him who he will listen to. The main thing that's kept Burke afloat for the past 20 years are the loyal, and in many case local, customers. Alienating them will get that place NELSAP'd in no time.

octopus

Q Burke sent me an email today. i can't believe they're seriously going with that name.

SKI-3PO

I saw the name looking at Liftopia tickets - it's ridiculous! I don't understand what they think the new name gets them. For example, I'd be more than happy to walk around with a Burke T-shirt and give them free advertising, but they couldn't pay me to wear a Q-shirt.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'd be more than happy to walk around with a Burke T-shirt and give them free advertising, but they couldn't pay me to wear a Q-shirt.

I wear my Burke/Vermont Hoodie (I believe I got it at the General Store in town) weekly. I even sleep in it sometimes (true), not that I'm in bed with them :)

I walqed into their new store at the base lodqe and everythinq has the new name and loqo, save for some sticqers in the corner. I bouqht some wax, made a u-turn and left. I'll still ski there (until they breaq somethinq fundamental) but I'm not about to stroqe someone's eqo by wearing their name.

Last edited:

BLESS

serious "Q"uestion, is the Quiros family from "Q'uebec? Its the only logical idea I can come up with that would make him insist on using this "Q" name......a play on words if you will, as if you say it fast, "QBurke" could sound like "Quebec" In which case it would make a whole lot more sense to me and actually be kinda funny.