• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rack em!

cdskier

So the tried and true method of resolving singles in the double line is how they do it at Castlerock at Sugarbush. Someone will ski up and yell "any Singles" if there are then they pair up. If not then they get at the end of the line and wait for the next single to ski up. You very rarely see one person on the Castlerock Double chair.

Yup...that's the same way the tiny hill in the Poconos where I learned to ski did things too. A single line for a double chair is just a bizarre concept to me.

Smellytele

Yup...that's the same way the tiny hill in the Poconos where I learned to ski did things too. A single line for a double chair is just a bizarre concept to me.

Well if a group has an odd number and doesn't want to get too separated they stay in line together especially when parents have an odd number of kids. Only time I can see it having a use.

VTKilarney

Racer kids are fine. The generalization of those kids here on this board is pretty unfair. Some of these kids will became the next American champions in Alpine skiing like Mikaela Shiffrin so I cut them some slack.
So because 0.001 percent will go on to be Alpine skiing champions they should be cut some slack? How about they just behave like they should - whether they are going to be a champion or not?

Here is the reality. While there are some very wonderful and respectful racer kids, a disproportionate number are disrespectful. This is no surprise since many come from hyper-competitive entitled families. I don't blame the kids. I blame the parents who let them get to that point. Those kids are going to have some issues later in life when they can never live up to Daddy's expectations.

Hawk

So because 0.001 percent will go on to be Alpine skiing champions they should be cut some slack? How about they just behave like they should - whether they are going to be a champion or not?

Here is the reality. While there are some very wonderful and respectful racer kids, a disproportionate number are disrespectful. This is no surprise since many come from hyper-competitive entitled families. I don't blame the kids. I blame the parents who let them get to that point. Those kids are going to have some issues later in life when they can never live up to Daddy's expectations.

I think that this is actually a matter of two different perspectives from different mountains. I am assuming your perspective is from the NEK probably Burke Academy correct? Mine is from GMVS at Sugarbush. Those kids are mostly very well behaved and a good amount are home grown locals. They do ski mostly at the Inverness so they are away from the frey a good amount but when I have seen them free skiing and out and about they have been respectful for the most part. From what I understand they are taught that they represent the school and mountain and are disciplined if issues occur. But they are millennial kids and as such, the phone use and f-ing around is not going to be any different than any other kid. I think that the Burke Kids are maybe a little more affluent and mostly from other places. I can't speak to that other than a casual observation.

Hawk

Well if a group has an odd number and doesn't want to get too separated they stay in line together especially when parents have an odd number of kids. Only time I can see it having a use.

Same procedure applies for families with kids. More than once I have gone up the lift with a single kid.

Smellytele

I think that this is actually a matter of two different perspectives from different mountains. I am assuming your perspective is from the NEK probably Burke Academy correct? Mine is from GMVS at Sugarbush. Those kids are mostly very well behaved and a good amount are home grown locals. They do ski mostly at the Inverness so they are away from the frey a good amount but when I have seen them free skiing and out and about they have been respectful for the most part. From what I understand they are taught that they represent the school and mountain and are disciplined if issues occur. But they are millennial kids and as such, the phone use and f-ing around is not going to be any different than any other kid. I think that the Burke Kids are maybe a little more affluent and mostly from other places. I can't speak to that other than a casual observation.

I have seen it with local racer kids at local hills not just the academy type racers. The academy kids actually seem a little better and know the "rules" a little better.

VTKilarney

I have seen it with local racer kids at local hills not just the academy type racers. The academy kids actually seem a little better and know the "rules" a little better.
Agreed. In my experience it's the youth racers that are a much bigger issue than the Academy kids. It's probably related to the level of maturity. There is a big difference at those ages. I actually have no issues whatsoever with Burke Mountain Academy.

dlague

Can't say I have ever noticed a singles line for double chair. If someone is coming from the singles line then they are joining another single. Just make it all a singles line.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

This would make the oppisite case ...Keep em inside the lodge or warm storage bag?

If you look back a few pages, that was precisely my hypothesis.

I'd never heard of racers keeping their skis on the snow so they stay at snow temperature, but it made no sense to me scientifically unless it's a very cold day where the air temperature is much colder than the snow surface. But even then, when you ride the lift the ski basis are just going to reach a stasis with the air at that point anyway, so the whole thing seems silly to me.

fbrissette

If you look back a few pages, that was precisely my hypothesis.

I'd never heard of racers keeping their skis on the snow so they stay at snow temperature, but it made no sense to me scientifically unless it's a very cold day where the air temperature is much colder than the snow surface. But even then, when you ride the lift the ski basis are just going to reach a stasis with the air at that point anyway, so the whole thing seems silly to me.

Never been a racer, but if you take warm skis and put them on the snow, you'll end up with a layer of snow frozen to the top of the skis. Not sure if that's a bad thing for ski racers, but for a backcountry skier this is something you learn quickly. Nobody wants to carry an extra pound of snow per ski after paying big bucks for light skis and 500gr tech bindings. Having the ski at air temperature makes sense. I don't see how keeping them on snow would make any difference.

drjeff

If pre-warmed ski bases had any positive effect on a how efficiently a ski glides, you'd be seeing ski heating bags at the top of every world cup and high level race course, kind of like how you see Formula 1 race cars with heating bags around their tires when the cars are on pit row pre-race, because there is performance benefit to it.

At any high level race, what you see at the start is once the race skis are tuned and if at a really high level waxed with a quick "top dressing" of start wax in the general starting area, the skis are always base down in the snow, until the racer is ready to click into the bindings and head for the starting gate - the majority of ski wax is temperature specific, and having the bases (and hence the wax) at that optimal snow temperature that the wax is formulated to glide best at, is why you'll see the skis on the snow in the start area

Jully

- the majority of ski wax is temperature specific, and having the bases (and hence the wax) at that optimal snow temperature that the wax is formulated to glide best at, is why you'll see the skis on the snow in the start area

This. I think that it is not that the snow is 'colder' and makes the ski faster due to the cold, but more that the wax put on the ski is designed for whatever the snow temp is that day. Therefore, you want the ski and wax to be in equilibrium and at that temperature when you start the race.

Since the race lasts a minute, its not like the ski will reach equilibrium with the snow temperature if it started 10 degrees warmer.

However, back to the original point, it is a bogus excuse to keep your skis in the snow outside of a lodge unless you were racing that day and did not have a second set or anything, but in a youth race... its not going to make that big a difference anyways. A dozen 12 year old weekend racers keeping there skis on the ground has nothing to do with wax temperature.

witch hobble

Ugh. Couldn't there just be a smartphone app to find partners to ride the chairlift with? Establishing real, human connection in such anpublic place is so......awkward!

Glenn

Guess they get a pass since no racks are there to "rack em' ".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk