• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rating Your 2021-2022 Season (or So Far....)

jimk

My story is pretty well known.... this was my first year in Alta as a ski instructor. This was my 8th year teaching in total, first on the West Coast and first full-time. It was so awesome to be able to finally bring my passion to the big leagues!

A lot of people would think "skiing" would be what this post is about. All the big lines. The powder days. Learning the secrets of one of skiing's most holy temples.

But anyone who's worked in this industry knows that's not what it's all about. I came to Utah knowing no one. I end this season with a locker room of friends. You work in this industry and it becomes more about the people than the skiing. I will never forget my first trip to the Peruvian bar. Or doing trivia night with friends at the GMD. Or the long rides up and down the canyon in the snow yelling/laughing at disabled vehicles, listening to podcasts, and when you're a passenger....passing the flask around. So many parties, bar visits, and good times. Skiing with other instructors after we end between 3pm and 4pm for a final lap or two on Collins. Slow days without an assignment where I can live like a tourist and explore. Getting stuck at Alta on a stormy night at the cafeteria that stayed open for the 50 or so people still stuck.... more than half of which being employees who camped out in a corner and drank pitcher after pitcher of beer. Watching the CRAZY shenanigans of Closing Day of which I said I would only spectate but I turned into a willing participant in the festivities meant for the young people!

133 days down. Over 1,000,000 vert at Alta. Going to get one more day at the Bird. A rare solo ski day for me... reflecting and thinking about this amazing season, and this amazing life. Only able to smile in wonder at what's gonna happen 6 months from now.
ss20, if you were at snowbird 8 may 22 I was there too. Sorry I never got to meet you, maybe next year. Today was my last ski day (61 overall), driving east soon. Happy your year was a success. There's a lot of internet griping about Utah being too crowded, low snow year, travel costs way up. All I know is this place is nirvana for an old mid-atlantic skier such as myself!

Last edited:

jaytrem

There's a lot of internet griping about Utah being too crowded, low snow year, travel costs way up. All I know is this place is nirvana for an old mid-atlantic skier such as myself!
Really looking forward to getting back there next year. It's been ages since I skied Utah (other than Brian Head/Eagle Point). Snagged a Yeti pass, so will ideally hit all the North Utah places. Twins will be in 5th Grade, so their skiing is almost free. Won't be until April, so not overly concerned about crowds. Would be nice to meet up with jimk or ss20 for some turns. One nice thing about booking so early is you get to look forward to it for alomst a year!

jimk

Love April in Utah. This year it was a big snow month. Crowds and traffic are almost entirely a non-factor at that time. Weather is friendly. May ain't bad either, look at all the snow and few people in Mineral Basin today, 8 May 22. Stay in touch. I hope to spend winter in Utah again next year.
rudi expansive mineral 8 may.jpg

jimk

Sheesh, Snowbird is reporting 12" new snow last night, but they don't reopen until next Friday.o_O
Break out the skins? Nah, I gotta get back East and cut the grass.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sheesh, Snowbird is reporting 12" new snow last night, but they don't reopen until next Friday.o_O
Break out the skins? Nah, I gotta get back East and cut the grass.
Agreed. They used to be 7-days a week until later in May. That said, I am happy that we may have water this summer.

snoseek

My story is pretty well known.... this was my first year in Alta as a ski instructor. This was my 8th year teaching in total, first on the West Coast and first full-time. It was so awesome to be able to finally bring my passion to the big leagues!

A lot of people would think "skiing" would be what this post is about. All the big lines. The powder days. Learning the secrets of one of skiing's most holy temples.

But anyone who's worked in this industry knows that's not what it's all about. I came to Utah knowing no one. I end this season with a locker room of friends. You work in this industry and it becomes more about the people than the skiing. I will never forget my first trip to the Peruvian bar. Or doing trivia night with friends at the GMD. Or the long rides up and down the canyon in the snow yelling/laughing at disabled vehicles, listening to podcasts, and when you're a passenger....passing the flask around. So many parties, bar visits, and good times. Skiing with other instructors after we end between 3pm and 4pm for a final lap or two on Collins. Slow days without an assignment where I can live like a tourist and explore. Getting stuck at Alta on a stormy night at the cafeteria that stayed open for the 50 or so people still stuck.... more than half of which being employees who camped out in a corner and drank pitcher after pitcher of beer. Watching the CRAZY shenanigans of Closing Day of which I said I would only spectate but I turned into a willing participant in the festivities meant for the young people!

133 days down. Over 1,000,000 vert at Alta. Going to get one more day at the Bird. A rare solo ski day for me... reflecting and thinking about this amazing season, and this amazing life. Only able to smile in wonder at what's gonna happen 6 months from now.
Ive done a couple tour through that place and can say there's no better place to land if you want to ski and work with great people. It feels like hitting the jackpot sometimes. take a look around alot of those people have been around a long long time.

bigbob

Agreed. They used to be 7-days a week until later in May. That said, I am happy that we may have water this summer.
If this weather pattern keeps up water will be a thing of the past out west. This could get serious in the future. Southwest is having the worst drought in 1200 years!

machski

If this weather pattern keeps up water will be a thing of the past out west. This could get serious in the future. Southwest is having the worst drought in 1200 years!
And the strain on what water sources there are by the population now in the SW is compounding the problem. Always kills me flying over Palm Springs and seeing all the numerous lush green golf courses there. Then there are the wake board parks, etc. Really, this is what we're using water for in DESERT regions?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes. And judging by some of my neighbors and their watering of lawns this early, you would not know it.

jerryg

And the strain on what water sources there are by the population now in the SW is compounding the problem. Always kills me flying over Palm Springs and seeing all the numerous lush green golf courses there. Then there are the wake board parks, etc. Really, this is what we're using water for in DESERT regions?

Such a fascinating and complex region. I have a somewhat bizarre obsession with The Salton Sea and Slab City, and really all abandoned(ish) locales. Literally everything there is about water, and what a shame that it was SoCal's increasing need for more that helped cause devastation to those areas adjacent to Palms Springs. But hey, those golf courses look nice! ;)

jimk

Las Vegas is a fun, but crazy place. Bone dry and unfit for human habitation in so many ways and for so far in every direction, yet 2.2 million live there. They get 90% of their water from the Colorado River 25 miles away at Lake Mead, but the lake is shrinking faster every year. I spent a few days in Vegas this winter and visited the Hoover Dam on Feb 14, 2022. This panoramic view is from nearby Pat Tillman Bridge. Notice the lake's bathtub ring on the upside of the dam:
hoover dam best 14 feb 2022.jpg

Last edited:

Edd

Las Vegas is a fun, but crazy place. Bone dry and unfit for human habitation in so many ways and for so far in every direction, yet 2.2 million live there. They get 90% of their water from the Colorado River 25 miles away at Lake Mead, but the lake is shrinking faster every year. I spent a few days in Vegas this winter and visited the Hoover Dam on Feb 14, 2022. This panoramic view is from nearby Pat Tillman Bridge. Notice the lake's bathtub ring on the upside of the dam:
View attachment 54526
I just got back from a week in Sedona, AZ. So beautiful and the best, driest weather imaginable. I was never uncomfortable outside at any point. But the lack of water combined with fear of fire would keep me from moving there. Feels like the other shoe can drop any minute.

Smellytele

I just got back from a week in Sedona, AZ. So beautiful and the best, driest weather imaginable. I was never uncomfortable outside at any point. But the lack of water combined with fear of fire would keep me from moving there. Feels like the other shoe can drop any minute.
Sedona is the most un-Arizona place I have been to in Arizona. Beautiful - everything is green. The river running through that valley helps a lot.

Edd

Sedona is the most un-Arizona place I have been to in Arizona. Beautiful - everything is green. The river running through that valley helps a lot.
Elevation of ~4500 feet also. But the fire/drought concerns; two locals warned me about smoking outside, and I don't smoke. I think just their sense that I'm a tourist was enough for them to bring it up.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
While I enjoyed many days this season, IMO, it was not a good season. In comparison with the last 10 seasons, I'd say only 2015-6 was worse.

My summary is as follows:

2021-22: No lift-serviced Oct. skiing. Nov. 5 to Thanksgiving Week: Just Killington and their 2-trails. By mid-December: Limited skiing at a small percentage of ski areas. Xmas week featured 3-days of rain and fog. By mid-January, only a handful of New England areas were more than half-open. No January thaw was a plus. February and March featured some good days, but very little natural snow and lots of warm weather. March was record warm with many areas closing by mid-March. The good spring skiing in April, wasn't enough to redeem the season. Killington made it to June 4, but they were the last open lift-serviced skiing by 3-weeks.

JimG.

Staff member
While I enjoyed many days this season, IMO, it was not a good season. In comparison with the last 10 seasons, I'd say only 2015-6 was worse.

My summary is as follows:

2021-22: No lift-serviced Oct. skiing. Nov. 5 to Thanksgiving Week: Just Killington and their 2-trails. By mid-December: Limited skiing at a small percentage of ski areas. Xmas week featured 3-days of rain and fog. By mid-January, only a handful of New England areas were more than half-open. No January thaw was a plus. February and March featured some good days, but very little natural snow and lots of warm weather. March was record warm with many areas closing by mid-March. The good spring skiing in April, wasn't enough to redeem the season. Killington made it to June 4, but they were the last open lift-serviced skiing by 3-weeks.
Excellent summary I concur

jimk

I drove through Sedona for the first and only time in late May 2019. It reminded me of some of the red rocks type National Park areas in UT and CO, except Sedona was allowed to have commercial and residential development. Sort of like Monument Valley with houses, hotels, and a few trees:cool:

A few Sedona 2019 photos I dug up, good spot for some ice cream:
jim sedona may 2019.jpg

The Catholic Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona, AZ:
sedona church exterior.jpg

My wife and I are Catholics. This chapel would be the ultimate place for a wedding ceremony and had one of the most amazing settings we've ever seen for a church, but I understand it's mostly reserved as a contemplative spot for tourists.
sedona chapel of the holy cross interior.jpg

View from chapel grounds. I would imagine the real estate values are through the roof. Look at that gigantic house in foreground:
sedona house may 2019.jpg