• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback (Maine) Report

tipsdown

You're right that would make sense. I'm guessing they somehow incorporate the West Bowl lift in order to do this since I believe there's less wiggle room along the east side of the ridge. And if I remember correctly, the bowl that tumbles down the summit on that end of the ridge is one of the best areas of the bowl. As for where the other lift would go, that's anyone's guess at this point, and is obviously an integral part of the development. There aren't any plans of this on paper that I'm aware of. As I mentioned I believe this is very new news since it's only started to be discussed no earlier than Warren Cook's arrival (this past fall). I'll be heading up there this weekend or next so I'll try to get more information on it as it becomes available.

It's still worth the trip even without the backside open. Here is a link to the trail map that includes the proposed plan, which has now been in place for a couple of years. From what I understand, the location of these proposed lifts are subject to change to a certain degree i.e. slightly different location, different length but they're all expected to be implemented to one degree or another

For example, from what I understand, there may be a new lift that's installed in between the proposed lift furthest to the East and the south Branch Quad. It would more than likely unload in between the proposed false peak lift and the Kennebego lift.

Sorry, here it is:
http://www.saddlebackmaine.com/html/trailmap.php

Tin Woodsman

You're right that would make sense. I'm guessing they somehow incorporate the West Bowl lift in order to do this since I believe there's less wiggle room along the east side of the ridge. And if I remember correctly, the bowl that tumbles down the summit on that end of the ridge is one of the best areas of the bowl. As for where the other lift would go, that's anyone's guess at this point, and is obviously an integral part of the development.
I think you're right. My guess is that you'd have to enter that back bowl from the Kennebago quad only, and then the lift out would take you to the ridge between that bowl and the West Bowl. It probably tops out at around 3500-3600' to avoid being exposed to the above treeline areas/winds, as well as to avoid offending the hikers on the AT (the horror!). then you'd shimmy down to the base of the West Bowl lift where you'd eventually get back out to the front side.

It's still worth the trip even without the backside open. Here is a link to the trail map that includes the proposed plan, which has now been in place for a couple of years. From what I understand, the location of these proposed lifts are subject to change to a certain degree i.e. slightly different location, different length but they're all expected to be implemented to one degree or another

For example, from what I understand, there may be a new lift that's installed in between the proposed lift furthest to the East and the south Branch Quad. It would more than likely unload in between the proposed false peak lift and the Kennebego lift.
That's interesting. The trail map is new even from this summer. It includes a new lift between False Peak and the one way over to the east, and a second Magalloway lift. For the life of me, I could never understand why they wouldn't have planned for a lift out of the base area (or from the South Branch Quad base) that terminated on the little 3300' peak on the north/south ridge connecting to False Peak. The new trail map depicts a left off-loading up there, but with it's base out inthe boonies. By starting it at the main base area, along with the Rangely lift (which wuill be a FGQ or HSQ in the future), you'd have lots of capavity heading in opposite directions ala Sugarbush to spread things out. In addition, you'd provide easy, one-lift access to the Horn Bowl area should that ever get developed.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what Warren has in store.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think you're right. My guess is that you'd have to enter that back bowl from the Kennebago quad only, and then the lift out would take you to the ridge between that bowl and the West Bowl. It probably tops out at around 3500-3600' to avoid being exposed to the above treeline areas/winds, as well as to avoid offending the hikers on the AT (the horror!). then you'd shimmy down to the base of the West Bowl lift where you'd eventually get back out to the front side.

Part of me says this plan sucks as it would require 4 lifts to get back to do another lap in the back bowls. The other part of me says that's a great thing as it would reduce traffic in what is probably going to be a pretty sweet area, so the snow will stay longer.

I'd imagine it would be quicker to skin up then to take the first lift up to the ridge, ski down to the West Bowl, up that, ski down to Magalloway, up it, all the way across to Kennebago and up it. Your talking probably close to an hour to get back to the summit.

Whatever they do, Saddleback will certainly be the place to watch if they go through with everything over the next decade.

Tin Woodsman

Part of me says this plan sucks as it would require 4 lifts to get back to do another lap in the back bowls. The other part of me says that's a great thing as it would reduce traffic in what is probably going to be a pretty sweet area, so the snow will stay longer.

I'd imagine it would be quicker to skin up then to take the first lift up to the ridge, ski down to the West Bowl, up that, ski down to Magalloway, up it, all the way across to Kennebago and up it. Your talking probably close to an hour to get back to the summit.

Whatever they do, Saddleback will certainly be the place to watch if they go through with everything over the next decade.

I definitely agree, though their hands will be tied somewhat by the ATC and the enviros. also, keep in mind two things. First, if the back bowl lift is configured as I mused, then you'd be able to get 800' vert laps off of it back there. Obviously that's a big "if". Second, if they were smart, they'd terminate the West Bowl lift such that it would enable you to get to The Pass so you could traverse all the way back to the Kennebago quad. Again, another big "if" and, as you pointed out, cutting down on the ability to do laps back there wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Also, FWIW, per Google maps satellite view, there's been quite a bit of logging up in West Bowl. Could be extremely interesting over there depending uponhow they want to play it.

tipsdown

I don't think they would congifure the lifts where you would need 4 lifts to get back to the bowls. If they extented the West Bowl where it would terminate off of the top part of America, then you could access the backside from there. This would cut the number of lifts from four down to two. And that would fit into their model that they would not have to use more than 2 lifts to access any area of the summit.

tipsdown

That's interesting. The trail map is new even from this summer. It includes a new lift between False Peak and the one way over to the east, and a second Magalloway lift. For the life of me, I could never understand why they wouldn't have planned for a lift out of the base area (or from the South Branch Quad base) that terminated on the little 3300' peak on the north/south ridge connecting to False Peak. The new trail map depicts a left off-loading up there, but with it's base out inthe boonies. By starting it at the main base area, along with the Rangely lift (which wuill be a FGQ or HSQ in the future), you'd have lots of capavity heading in opposite directions ala Sugarbush to spread things out. In addition, you'd provide easy, one-lift access to the Horn Bowl area should that ever get developed.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what Warren has in store.

I agree that installing a lift out of the current base area to the top of the 3300 ft peak would be a great layout. I guess if they install the aformementioned lift I referenced earlier that would terminate between False Peak lift and the Kennebego lift, it would have a similar effect and open up a lot of great crusing terrain that would get you to the lift furthest east. I know the orignal reason for them putting that base (with the lift furthest to the east) way out in the boonies is because they will be able to increase their vertical 400-500 ft. The South Branch area gets pretty flat (hence the great learning area), not leaving much for growth in vertical...

Tin Woodsman

Tin Woodsman, can you elaborate? I don't know exactly what you mean...

check out the satellite view. You can clearly see logging roads snaking across the West Bowl, among other areas on Saddleback.