• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SAM: Peak Resorts Pass Sales Up Thanks to Drifter Pass

abc

Lol.

Im surprised people still buy this with all the bigger better options out there.
There’re many “bigger” options. But they’re all more expensive by quite a big margin.

For that age group, “better” may have to yield to “cheaper”?

sull1102

Love seeing these types of passes grow and hopefully that big of an infusion is used this offseason for something like say Sunbrook Detach anything at all, just something faster.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think NH Peak Pass users would like to see some love liftwise up this way.

Sent from my SM-T900 using AlpineZone mobile app
For sure. A new Summit lift at Attitash should be a higher priority for Peak than Sunbrook at Snow.

Replace that lift and a bit more aggressive early season snowmaking at Wildcat and I'm good. Really my only complaints about the NH places. Well, better beer at both Attitash and Cat would also be nice

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

fullsend22

The Drifter Pass is a no-brainer. Commit to two weekends of the winter and the pass is paid for on the East. Buy that and the Epic local and you have Okemo, Stowe and a trip out West to CO, Lake Tahoe, Vancouver, Japan, etc. I do have to disclose this for the 18-29 crowd that has a few extra bucks of disposable income.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

icecoast1

Love seeing these types of passes grow and hopefully that big of an infusion is used this offseason for something like say Sunbrook Detach anything at all, just something faster.

That would be nice with some added snowmaking over there. I think we'll be seeing a heavy metal lift upgrade though before sunbrook, unless they do both at the same time

elks

Lol.

Im surprised people still buy this with all the bigger better options out there.

We've bought Peak Pass for three seasons now and have not been attracted to any of the other options. For us, Peak Pass is perfect. Early season access to Mt. Snow, easy 80 minute in-season access to Crotched where our kids race, late season at Wildcat. Throw in Attitash once a year for diversity. Can't beat it for us and it keeps the miles on the car reasonable. Beyond price, they have some pretty solid mountains. I'll take Mt. Snow's terrain any day over Stratton, Loon, Okemo, Waterville, Sunapee, etc. Wildcat's terrain is excellent and filled with awesome and adventurous woods. Crotched serves its purposes and again I like its easy access, limited crowds a lot more than other option (i.e., Wachusett, Gunstock, Pat's Peek, etc.) under the 2 hour driving range. I think Ragged is perhaps a better mountain in the same ategory, but not like night and day either.

And for park folks, it's hard to beat Mt. Snow's Carinthia Parks on the East Coast. I bet you a lot of those Drifter passes are attracted to that option for that reason. Not only is it the probably the best snow park on the East Coast, but it's also open from mid-November to mid-April each year.

MommaBear

And for park folks, it's hard to beat Mt. Snow's Carinthia Parks on the East Coast. I bet you a lot of those Drifter passes are attracted to that option for that reason. Not only is it the probably the best snow park on the East Coast, but it's also open from mid-November to mid-April each year.

The only reason we ended up staying there for so many years. My kids would have it no other way. Until now anyway - one moved west, another works too much and the youngest's friends ski elsewhere so he's solo if he skis Carinthia.

We went from 5 passes for about 8 years, to 1 this year (mine) in a matter of 3 years time.

sull1102

You'll see Heavy Metal get moved around in a couple years according to the passholder forum, some good info over there. They are going to move it uphill slightly and upgrade capacity, but it won't be a brand new install by any means. That forum is also where the news about more chairs on Nitro either this year or next to increase capacity and match the anticipated crowd increase.

While I agree that Attitash NEEDS a summit detachable lift of any variety(first bubble quad in NH would be an excellent fit for a 4 season family resort), I disagree that it is more important to Peak than Sunbrook. If you were at Mount Snow on a weekend or holiday week you know they need to spread the crowds out and increase capacity, but not on the Main Face. With Stratton adding a hs quad and Killington adding a bubble 6 pack, the competition is catching up and passing Sneaux. A detachable on Sunbrook means Carinthia crowds can get to the summit quickly and go to North Face or stay in Sunbrook and avoid crowds while not getting a sub par ride. Just think, Sunbrook takes almost as long as the Summit Triple at Tash does, almost 15 minutes. When you get to the base and Bear Claw isn't running it is a rough feeling.

Also, there is the whole Mount Snow is the face of the franchise. Attitash is not even the priority in their division, that goes to Wildcat. Would you rather add a major piece to your top dog or a major piece to the AAA club?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah, no. Attitash has far greater value to Peak in the Valley than Wildcat. They do double the skier visits at Attitash compared to Wildcat, far more ski school revenue and make probably triple the amount of snow over there.

The piss poor summit lift at Attitash without a doubt pushed a lot of people to other mountains. And if you want to talk about a need to keep up with the Joneses, just look up the street to Bretton Woods. They're installing a gondola. So, yeah, adding something like a Bubble quad and trying to squeeze in maybe another intermediate trail off the Summit of Attitash is absolutely necessary to prevent losing further market share. It would completely transform the skiing experience at Attitash much more than upgrading a small terrain pod at Snow. It's the main lift! 16 minute ride without stopping in 2018! Weak sauce

Jully

Yeah, no. Attitash has far greater value to Peak in the Valley than Wildcat. They do double the skier visits at Attitash compared to Wildcat, far more ski school revenue and make probably triple the amount of snow over there.

The piss poor summit lift at Attitash without a doubt pushed a lot of people to other mountains. And if you want to talk about a need to keep up with the Joneses, just look up the street to Bretton Woods. They're installing a gondola. So, yeah, adding something like a Bubble quad and trying to squeeze in maybe another intermediate trail off the Summit of Attitash is absolutely necessary to prevent losing further market share. It would completely transform the skiing experience at Attitash much more than upgrading a small terrain pod at Snow. It's the main lift! 16 minute ride without stopping in 2018! Weak sauce

+1000

sull1102

Think about what Peak had shown so far. Do they think highly of Attitash? Id say absolutely not. They invest very little, barely make snow, don't compete early, close early. Even lost the Grand Summit hotel in a pretty weird way leaving a bad taste in many mouths. Meanwhile Mount Snow has gotten a new base area, huge snowmaking upgrades, a huge park budget, and oh is suddenly the top dog in early season skiing. That shows what Peak thinks of the two. I disagree with them and have fantasy dreams of an Attitash that is top dog in the Valley with a ski train and a summit chondola, so I'm with you on hoping, but if it's either or I'll take Sunbrook(especially if it means they open that pod earlier and midweeks more).

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Of course you would. You mainly ski Mt. Snow!

And while mainly for summer attractions, the investment in Attitash is FAR greater than Wildcat.

I recognize Snow is their flagship resort, but in terms of individual mountain needs, upgrading Sunbrook doesn't come close to having a modernized main lift at the their main resort in the Valley.

In the past ten years, the only major investment in Wildcat has been the snowmaking upgrade, which only occurred because of system failure. Since then? A Wildcat branded beer and this summer the addition of 9 holes of disc golf. Lol. That's it and likely all we will see for years up there. Oh yeah, new deck boards too. Lol

In terms of a shorter season? Altitude and skier demographic is what determines that at Wildcat, not because Peak views it as more important.

machski

Think about what Peak had shown so far. Do they think highly of Attitash? Id say absolutely not. They invest very little, barely make snow, don't compete early, close early. Even lost the Grand Summit hotel in a pretty weird way leaving a bad taste in many mouths. Meanwhile Mount Snow has gotten a new base area, huge snowmaking upgrades, a huge park budget, and oh is suddenly the top dog in early season skiing. That shows what Peak thinks of the two. I disagree with them and have fantasy dreams of an Attitash that is top dog in the Valley with a ski train and a summit chondola, so I'm with you on hoping, but if it's either or I'll take Sunbrook(especially if it means they open that pod earlier and midweeks more).

It's probably neither, that new area they own over in the Catskills is getting the love this year.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

Also ski Attitash and grew up spending winter and summer there so it's not just that I ski Mt.Snow. I'm looking from a business POV. Attitash, as they seem to view it, is not a priority or a concern. They're happy to lose the Grand Summit and just keep on trucking. They've lost some share of their summer business to Bretton Woods, but also C'more has stepped up their game as well. Also look at big events, Mount Snow is getting the big draw festivals(now two in three months). Also we are getting a brand new base lodge that is more than halfway done at Carinthia so that's a boost.

What does Wildcat need? More snowmaking, always, but lift wise and lodge wise they seem to be okay for what the clientele wants and needs and the Forest Service will allow. Again, I see Attitash's potential more than most, I love the place, but I think the clientele looking for that Summit Triple to go are the same group heading north to Wildcat instead. Oh and how are the crowds at Attitash? I rarely horrir stories, unlike Snow where Sunbrook is needed to get people off border line dangerously crowded trails. Don't forget that the upgrade supposedly brings with it a small lodge of some kind and snowmaking AND it's already approved and "shovel ready"

deadheadskier

Staff member
I didn't say Wildcat needed much of anything. My only wish would be some upper mountain glades and a bit more aggressive early season snowmaking.

Our disagreement was with you stating Wildcat is Peaks primary focus in the Valley. That's comically false. Attitash probably produces at least triple the revenue if not more. It's a cash cow in the summer where as Wildcat is a ghost town. Losing the hotel management contract is probably a net positive for them. It was likely losing money for them, hence why they kept cutting back on investment in it both in common area upgrades and cutting operations back. That's why the HOA kicked them out.

In terms of crowding? It still can get packed on weekends, but not like it once did. Why? They havent done anything to upgrade the skiing product in years, so people have gone elsewhere. It used to average around 200K skier visits a year, now closer to 150k They have the crappiest primary lift of any major area in the East. And sorry, those folks looking for better are not heading up the street. Wildcat has a totally different clientele. Attitash is for those who prefer groomers and families with kids who like parks. Thats not what Wildcat is about.

IMO Attitash is basically broken by having that Triple and their loss in market share to places like Cranmore and Bretton Woods proves it. It has far better terrain than both those mountains. Im not saying upgrading the Sunbrook to a HSQ would be insignificant, but it wouldnt be a complete game changer like putting a HSQ at Attitash would be.

sull1102

I think you are misunderstanding me. I am saying the Valley as a whole is not something that Peaks cares about all that much. Obviously the niche market that goes to Wildcat is not bumping up numbers, what I was saying is that Peaks seems more interested in Wildcat as a whole. When they bought the place they drop a ton of dough on snowmaking, they really haven't done much at Attitash in the decade plus of ownership. Cranmore has been eating up the family market and Bretton Woods is installing a gondola and has stepping up 4 season activities fr 5 years now. At the end of the day my point was really more along the lines of would a high speed quad be nice, yes, but I am willing to bet they will wait longer than they wait to install one at Sunbrook, reason being they care about Mount Snow more than Attitash.