• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sharpening your own skis...

Tin

I wax my own but does anyone sharpen, do core shots, etc on their own? Any good edge sharpening tools out there?

drjeff

I've had this edge sharpening tool for about 15 years now and LOVE it!

http://www.tognar.com/ski-visions-ski-sharp-edge-tuning-tool/

It's very easy to use, has 3 degree adjustable base and side edge bevels, and host of different, inexpensive inserts for it from aggressive files to gummy polishing stones.

Plus each pass with it works on both the base and side edge.

For about 98% of the skiing public, this tool will be all you need for keeping your edges sharp and smooth. For the super elite high end racer, a more traditional milled seperate base and side edge file guide with a GOOD set of files or diamond stones in them might make a slightly noticeable difference. But then again, a good chunk of that population has their skis tuned for them by an industry service tech ;)

Hawkshot99

Everything but coreshots. For that you need base weld and a special heat gun.
I like a well tuned ski. So I keep them nice. I use diamond stones mostly but have a file when needed.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

yeggous

I am still afraid to do my own base edges. How worried should be about ending up with a base-high ski?

oldtimer

We rarely attack the base edge- once the base bevel has been set it is only deburred. The material removal happens on the side of the edge. Making a ski base high happens when base edge material removed. This is one reason I am not a fan of the Toganr tool- too many folks do the base edge and side simultaneously and this will ultimately make a ski base high.

NOTE- one thing that is not highlighted enough to newbies is that removal of sidewall is necessary to get a good edge. IF you are filing or stoning on the side bevel and removing plastic you are doomed to a poor result.

I am still afraid to do my own base edges. How worried should be about ending up with a base-high ski?

Highway Star

Everything but coreshots. For that you need base weld and a special heat gun.
I like a well tuned ski. So I keep them nice. I use diamond stones mostly but have a file when needed.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

A standard 40w soldering iron with a large tip and some base repair ribbon from tognar produces some very effective base welds.

Highway Star

Very...........don't overdo it. That said, I set base edge bevel with a panzer file, because it cuts base material also.

makimono

I've got that ski visions sharpener as well...I don't use files in it very often, mostly just fine stones and sometimes I'll run just the side edges with the base stone removed.

goldsbar

Tognar.com is your friend. Buy the base repair welder (basically soldering iron), some coiled ptex, the Stanley planer and a metal scraper. You can get the ptex ribbon if you're feeling lucky. The stuff is super strong but also super hard to work with. Unfortunately, I've had plenty of core shots over the years and have never had a repair fail.

For sharpening don't touch your base edges with anything but a diamond stone in a base edge guide. Side edges, go as crazy as you want. SVST - Sun Valley Ski Tool - makes a fixed side edge guide that takes a 1* adapter for another option. A 92 with the 1* option will give you 92 and 93. These things are a solid hunk of metal that will last your life and your kid's life if you're worried about the cost. You'll need a file and some diamond stones. Maybe just start with a 200 stone. "Files shape, stones sharpen." I don't believe this 100% but there's some merit. Spend the $5 on the tuning stick as fingernails aren't always the best judge of sharpness.

Scruffy

What other's have said: Don't take a file to the base side of your edge unless you know what your doing. Deburr the base side with a diamond stone.

Sharpen the edge side. The best tool is for that is one that holds a file at the proper angle and stabilizes itself against the base.
Such as the Side of Beast. http://www.tognar.com/beast-pro-side-angle-guides-angle-plates/

Start with a new ski, or get a good stone grind at the beginning of the season or as necessary. Then after every day or two of skiing, deburr both edge and base sides of ski edge. Use an edge guide for deburring if you can. If the edge needs sharpening, use the side of beast with the desired edge angle. Ski manufacturer will recommend angle; or 2 is usually a safe bet for non-racing everyday skis in the Northeast.