• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Shawnee Peak

canobie#1

How is this place? I am thinking of going when we go to North Conway for a few nights after christmas. I talked to the guy at the ski expo and it was a nice surprise. The mountain seems to have a lot to offer. Anyone have reviews?

xwhaler

I've done a couple night ski sessions at Shawnee. Fun mtn......fairly steep off the top as I recall and some nice windy intermediate cruisers Skiers left off the summit. Nice bar upstairs in the lodge. They don't have the east side open at night so haven't checked that area out yet. Let us know how it is if u go....if u will be in N Conway I also highly recommend Black Mtn.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

canobie#1

I do North Conway ever year the week of Christmas break. My favorite is wildcat but black is awesome too. Attitash sucks so we usually do wildcat, black and cranmore. We're having 4 days of skiing this year sk we are prob going to Shawnee peak if the conditions are good.

C-Rex

Shawnee is awesome! Great terrain for a smaller mountain. The nighttime offerings are fun but you won't get a good idea of what the place is all about if that's the only time you go. They have some cool windy trails, some sweet glades, and even some killer cliff drops if you have the snow to hit them. Have fun!

BackLoafRiver

I'll echo what others have said...fun mountain with a cool vibe. If coverage is good, it can keep you busy for a full day. A lot of their offerings have a classic New England feel, just like the others have said. Not just fall line cruisers, which is nice. Definitely worth the trip.

Also, I would head down the road to Lovell and check out Ebeneezer's pub. It's 15 minutes or so and the beer selection is out of this world. (albeit a bit pricey and snooty)

canobie#1

Thanks guys! The summit triple looks really fast with that conveyor belt, how long does it usually take for the two summit chairs to get up the mountain?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I forget what the ride time is on the Sunnyside. I know the conveyor cut the 14 minute ride on the summit triple down to 9.

SnowBro

Shawnee is awesome. One of my favorite mountains. It has a lot to offer for its size. I agree with what most people have said. If you have the chance definitely spend a day there.

Edd

Also, I would head down the road to Lovell and check out Ebeneezer's pub. It's 15 minutes or so and the beer selection is out of this world. (albeit a bit pricey and snooty)

That place is mind blowing for beer selection. It's nearly too much. I agree the vibe isn't the greatest but I've only been there once. I should try it again in my sweatiest ski clothes on my way back from the River.

Somehow I've never skied Shawnee. I don't know how that happened.

Terry

Shawnee is my home mt. We always manage to have a good time there with good friends. Depending on the weather they may not be open on the east side yet but the snowmaking system is pretty powerfull and they have upgraded it every year. If the weather is right expansion will come quickly especially if we get some help from Ma Nature. If you go look me up. Gray and green plaid jacket, gray beard, blue helmet, probably my green line prophet 100's. It really is a fun mt with some nice cruising terain.

skifree

They make one of the BEST bloody Mary's around at that mountain

canobie#1

How are the glades? I haven't head too much in reviews for the advanced and expert trails on other websites.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Shawnee isn't necessarily a great mountain for expert challenge. A lot of it will depend on the amount of natural they have. I haven't skied the off map stuff, but hear there's some decent options if you know where to go. Terry was going to show me some with his crew last winter, but the snow was too manky, so we stuck to the trails.

Dungeons is a decent glade. Fairly tight and dark from the soft wood trees in spots; so the name of the glade is fitting. Under the Sunnyside Triple is a good natural snow lift line run, fairly narrow with varied terrain up top, decent bumps down low where the name changes to Poachers Paradise. When natural snow is abundant, I've found decent bumps on The Gut and Lower Haggets.

I'm a big fan of Shawnee, but I don't go there expecting to be particularly challenged. I go for the numerous classic winding trails, great snow making and grooming and the laid back vibe. It also skis "big" for only having 1300 vertical feet. There's very little run out and the pitch around most of the mountain is very consistent. Great views of Washington and the surrounding Maine lakes as well.

canobie#1

I'm not looking for just challenges. I'm just a teenager who is looking for some good spots here and there throughout the day. Shawnee looks like the place for me!