• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski and Snowboard helmets. Do you? or don't you? ride with one!! Have you been saved by one?? What are you using? and how is it?

Kingslug20

If you think ski helmets are expensive..check out motorcycle helmets...

ceo

Important helmet tip: if you're one of those people who gets a sticker on their helmet for each area you visit, get extras just in case.

urungus

Important helmet tip: if you're one of those people who gets a sticker on their helmet for each area you visit, get extras just in case.
I am “one of those people” … but I feel like when I get a new helmet I should start from scratch with no stickers since the new helmet has not been to the old places. Just like I wouldn’t put a sticker from a previous vacation on a new suitcase.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Been wearing since 2009 or so? Been a looooong time.

I too do not wear one on super warm spring days. Not gonna say that's smart. But I am a numbers guy and out of 130-150 ski days a season, the 2ish spring days I don't wear one- boils down to about a 1% chance that one of those days I'll have the hardest crash of my season. I can take those odds.

And many might find this odd... as I say ad nauseum I teach skiing, but I don't wear a helmet for levels 1-3 (never ever to just beginning to ski legitimate greens). Lot of benefits to that. Hearing. Comfort (ability to take off the hat and put it in the pocket on warm days). And I want adults and kids who are learning to be able to see "me"... my smile, eyes, face, etc... know that I'm human. If you had never skied before and were terrified of breaking a bone would a ski instructor who looks like they're a character straight out of Tron really be comforting? That's my way of seeing it.

PAabe

I wear I helmet all the time except the rare spring day when I don't. I'm a little on edge without it and won't ever go without go in the woods or push the speed or steeps. A nice thing about cross country skiing is not dealing with the helmet.

The things do look dorky and I don't like not being able to see people's faces you're talking to. Hats and glasses are a good look but not worth the risk for me.

Smellytele

I wear I helmet all the time except the rare spring day when I don't. I'm a little on edge without it and won't ever go without go in the woods or push the speed or steeps. A nice thing about cross country skiing is not dealing with the helmet.

The things do look dorky and I don't like not being able to see people's faces you're talking to. Hats and glasses are a good look but not worth the risk for me.
Can you see a person’s face better with a hat and goggles?

Domeskier

It's been many years since I cared much about looking "dorky," but when I did, pretty much all skiwear fit that description. Puffy coats, pom-pom hats, insulated pants and mickey-mouse gloves are pretty hard to make cool. At least a helmet makes you look like Evel Knievil.

MidnightJester

So Costco has a SPY+(MIPS) helmet with selectable venting for 69.99
"SPY+ SENDER" helmet
20221031_160306.jpg

2Planker

So last winter after all day riding I accidently left my decent helmet and goggle combo on the roof of my truck or the restaurant seat. Into the winter night it went and $150 plus down the drain :( Been using a make up pair that wasn't the same quality lens or protection but it worked good enough. Fast forward I want a new light weight good functioning combo.

I built out a ("Pret" Fury-X helmet was $199 got it @($98 w/tax) with a Oakley Flight deck goggle both I got at over 50% off MSRP). Anyone else use a PRET helmet I never heard of them? I have till winter usage to swap or exchange :)

00c5f2fe-9094-4139-998a-472ea276f71b

Helmet fit?? I now know I am a (23.25" inch or 59cm head). The Medium(55-59cm) fits perfect with the BOA style adjustment at maximum or fully open fitment. or is the Large(59-62cm) a better idea with it tightened down

As a 40 year patroller I can remember 3.....
One died from a subdural hematoma, another has been is institutionalized in a drug induced coma for 5 years. Family is devastated and now broke.
The last gal lived, but lost 6 years w/ retrograde amnesia. Didn't recognize her own kids and husband. She was a totally different person.
Kids and husband tried very hard but filed for divorce 2 years later. Very Sad.

Wear you're freaking helmet !!!!

Last edited:

darent

So last winter after all day riding I accidently left my decent helmet and goggle combo on the roof of my truck or the restaurant seat. Into the winter night it went and $150 plus down the drain :( Been using a make up pair that wasn't the same quality lens or protection but it worked good enough. Fast forward I want a new light weight good functioning combo.

I built out a ("Pret" Fury-X helmet was $199 got it @($98 w/tax) with a Oakley Flight deck goggle both I got at over 50% off MSRP). Anyone else use a PRET helmet I never heard of them? I have till winter usage to swap or exchange :)

00c5f2fe-9094-4139-998a-472ea276f71b

Helmet fit?? I now know I am a (23.25" inch or 59cm head). The Medium(55-59cm) fits perfect with the BOA style adjustment at maximum or fully open fitment. or is the Large(59-62cm) a better idea with it tightened down to a fitment lower setting?
I have a Pret helmet,been using it for 3 winters. Nice and warm. If you like a lot of ventilation this is the helmet, I blocked my vents off in the top of helmet with duct tape and found that just right for me. You can get a wet head if it is snowing hard when those top vents are open.

darent

Relatedly, it's getting on for time to replace that helmet. I like the look of the visor helmets, anyone here wear one who also wears glasses? Are they particularly more or less prone to fogging than separate goggles?
tried a smith vantage years ago, found the visor to be a PIA for my googlesif I wanted to sit them on the helmet. Use it for my bike helmet with sunglasses

skiur

maybe relatively or to new skiers, but if you're not wearing a helmet, chances are you're a pro or a really cool old dude from the 80s fo something
I disagree, if your not wearing a helmet chances are your an idiot. you rarely ever see any professional skiers or boarders not wearing a helmet. Do you not wear a seatbelt while driving too?

KustyTheKlown

the only pro i can think of who still skis and doesn't wear a helmet is glen plake, but he is the prototypical rad 80s guy, whose entire signature is a giant bleached mohawk

SteezyRob

I disagree, if your not wearing a helmet chances are your an idiot. you rarely ever see any professional skiers or boarders not wearing a helmet. Do you not wear a seatbelt while driving too?
i rarely see someone who is not wearing a helmet and is not shredding.
Most will wear helmets when competing, and I bet that there's some rules for that. (i wouldn't be surprised if sponsor contracts also require that you wear a helmet) so if you're only watching the x games and the olympics once a year i can see where you would get that. but if you follow skiing more closely, you see it quite a lot.
candide thovex, glane plake (mentioned above), andy parry, and most big park skiers, aziz benkrich, to name a few. if you search up most athletes, you can usually find quite a few pics without helmets.
and this isn't me saying that i don't wear a helmet, and i'm trying to legitimize that by pointing out that pros do it. i'm just saying it's more common than you would think.

gmcunni

A Giro helmet saved my daughter's life (coincidently 10 years ago yesterday). I'd have a hard time changing brands after that. silly loyalty for sentimental reasons.