• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski and Snowboard "Sunglasses" Instead of Goggles during good weather. Yes, No, or Who Knows?

SteezyRob

Same here. Last time I wore sunglasses while skiing was a sunny, spring day at Heavenly in 2015. I had a cowboy hat on that day and the shades worked better than any goggles with the hat. But I strongly recall that my eyes watered a great deal that day. That's also the last time I wore a cowboy hat even though a have a couple for "retro" days. In recent years it's always a helmet and goggles.

Having said above, I wore sunglasses and soft ski hats on and off for 40 years on non-snowy days before I began regularly wearing a helmet around 15 years ago. I think I tolerated the sunglasses back in the old days because my eyes were younger and I tended not to get "dry eyes" so easily. Ironically, I also think I skied slower as a young person than I do now because I mostly skied smaller East Coast hills and I did more bump runs than long, steep groomers.

Had to chuckle about OPs photo of the $400 Obermeyer Rallye. Here's a photo of me at Hunter in 1985 wearing a similar pair of sunglasses that I probably got for about $10 ;)
View attachment 59445
haha thats awesome

abc

He was saying sunglasses for hike/skin/XC ski not goggles.
But he said “only in good weather”. So he’s implying goggles other time.

No way!

Even in “bad weather”, it’ll get steamy in no time.

The only difference I’d make allowance is to use clear lens shades instead of dark “sun” glasses!

Last edited:

ThatGuy

I wear sunglasses as opposed to goggles in the spring but you’re sacrificing speed and safety for that. If you stay in the bumps you don’t notice it but try ripping a groomer with sunglasses and see (or more accurately don’t see) how much your eyes water and burn…

skiur

In the spring I wear sunglasses and take the ear muffs off of my helmet. I've had no issues whatsoever with that.

2Planker

In the spring I wear sunglasses and take the ear muffs off of my helmet. I've had no issues whatsoever with that.
Agree, as long as they don't interfere w/ your helmet...
I also ditch the ear muffs in early March

Smellytele

Agree, as long as they don't interfere w/ your helmet...
I also ditch the ear muffs in early March
It has nothing to do with if they interfere with the helmet. The helmet is designed to be used with goggles not sunglasses. As others have said they are okay with the added risk.

Domeskier

How do ski helmet manufacturers get away with producing a structurally compromised product? Not even a warning sticker? I would consider one of those full face helmets, but I am still a little sensitive to being mocked by ski bums and teenagers.

Hawk

I pretty much only do the helmet with sunglasses thing on 55+ sunny, spring days. Maybe 2-3 times a spring. I definitely realize I'm sacrificing safety even skiing relatively slow, sticky snow while typically in bumps. The added airflow around my forehead and ears makes a difference in temperature regulation during those hot days.
This is pretty much me and I remove the ear padding.

MadPadraic

I've never had trouble wearing sunglasses with a helmet. They fit under there just fine, and yes I wear my helmet tight enough. I'll often carry a pair of sunglasses in my pocket with a different lens color than the goggle I've chosen for the day. A second pair of goggles is way too bulky, and I've yet to find a pair of goggles with a lens swapping system that is anything more than a gimmick.

Honestly, I think sunglasses look less cool than goggles, but I don't particularly care.

2Planker

It has nothing to do with if they interfere with the helmet. The helmet is designed to be used with goggles not sunglasses. As others have said they are okay with the added risk.
More than half of the patrollers I’ve known over the last 40 years prefer to wear sunglasses in the warmer weather.
When “working” I carry 2 pairs of goggles most days. 2nd pair is a Clear one for trail sweep in the dark in Dec & early Jan.

ThatGuy

What does this mean? Surely you aren't saying that helmets are structurally unsound without goggles?
I think in a forward crash the goggles do add alot of protection. Obviously if you hit the back of your head the goggle’s won’t make a difference.