• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski jacket advice...

DefJef

I'm in the market for a soft shell and am looking to pay 200-250. The best one I can find is the Patagonia Dimension Jacket. ANy opinions on it? ANy others in or near that price range that I should check out?
Thanks

B

beswift

Ski Jackets

Do they ever make a jacket for a left-handed person? (Left chest pocket is for a right handed person.) I picked up a good Burton jacket/shell at the end of the '02-'03 season at Marshalls for a great price. It was designed to sell to snowboarders, but I don't see any difference. It has all the features which I like, except the right-handed bias. Zippered armpits, warming pocket for fogged goggles, and powder skirt on top of the usual features one finds in a ski jacket. It's bright yellow with a blue collar. The drawback there is that dirt will show up. Cleaning jackets takes the waterproof finish off of the fabric. Recently I have been treating my clothing and tents with the spray-can conditioners sold in Walmart after washing. However, I recommend buying a dark-colored jacket (unless you are going off-piste, out-of-bounds, in avalanche risk areas or in the trees). If you want something which will block the wind on those extremely cold days, buy one with a Goretex or Entrant lining. Remember, however, these jackets can often be too warm for average or mild days. By the way, I've picked up a few excellent jackets in the off-season at the Salvation Army in Magoun Square and the Goodwill Industry Store in Davis Square. (Both in Somerville, Ma.) They never cost more than $5 or $10 dollars, are often the best quality and are in good shape. Yesterday, I used one at 10 degrees with only a thermax turtle neck. It is a SKYR label, has heavy zippers, a thick weave to the shell, down fill (not too bulky), knit waist, neck and wrist bands and an attached hood which folds into the collar. I added a snap-on hood to two of my shells (the Burton and another) which help on those rainy days. By picking up used jackets, I'm able to have a good choice depending on the conditions.

bigbog

Mtn. Hardware.....

Haven't purchased yet, but a local shop has Mtn. Hardware's "Windstopper" jacket....in a couple nice colors :lol: ...that are, if I remember correctly, being priced LT $200...

Steve

B

beswift

Buying Ski Clothing.

When I worked at Ski Town in Braintree, the Mfg. reps used to give clinics to shop employees. I went to one for a jacket mfg. where I was the only guy except him in the group. I want to add this to the thread because if you can get some feedback from some of these people (i.e. reps), it's worth a lot in shoping for clothing. Usually, the sales gals in these dept.'s are quite knowledgeable, too. If you are serious, spend some time listening to them.

catskills

The Cloudveil Ice Floe as Sled above pointed out is a great productmade of Schoeller fabric. Cloudveil has other Schoeller soft shells. Anything with Schoeller fabric makes for an excellent soft shell. If you want to save some money check out www.ems.com and do a search for Schoeller. As you will see EMS also makes Schoeller and looks like they have a sale right now. The Schoeller fabric is extremely warm and wind resistent for its weight.

RISkier

Think about what you want to use it for, some are windproof and nearly waterproof, others much less so. I have a jacket made with Shoeller Dry Skin Extreme 3X dry. Great jacket, very breathable. BUT, it's only wind resistent and water repellant, really not sufficient as a shell for lift served skiing when the temps are cold and the winds are up. I also have a jacket made with Gore Windstopper which I use when conditions are colder; it's much warmer. The Schoeller WB-400 is nearly 100% windproof and much warmer, but less breathable than the Extreme 3X dry. EMS makes jackets with both Schoeller fabrics, I didn't like the one with the lighter Schoeller fabric very well, but the one with WB-400 looks bullet proof, I think it's called the Apollo and it can be had for well under $200. You might also look at www.beyondfleece.com; they do custom made jackets and sweaters using a wide range of different materials. I haven't tried them but have been tempted, at least worth a look to get to know a bit more about different soft shell fabrics. I'd also check www.sieratradingpost.com, we've picked up quite a bit of stuff from them at very good prices.

B

beswift

Jackets

The Gore WindStopper fabric is very good.
I have no experience with this. However, it must be a patent under the same Gore that patented his Gore-tex. For Wind I have a set up which is head to toe Gore-tex. Hat or Hood, Shell or Jacket, Pants. Gloves and Sox. I don't use the gore-tex sox with downhill boots, though, only either hiking or skating. I can't recommend anything higher than that.